Mothering Forum banner

Teething pains!!

995 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  talk de jour 
#1 ·
I was wondering, for those of you who have dcs with their wisdom teeth in... did they experience any pain, what was it like, how long did it last, and what did they do to soothe it?

I ask because I think I might be getting my first of three... all day my gum has been irritating me, and I have no idea what to do about it! I can't see anything when I look into my mouth, but the gum feels different than on the other side of my mouth (where there is no tooth to come out). I guess the best way to describe the feeling is that it kind of feels disrupted, almost split. When I apply pressure there is one spot that flares up in pain, though I can't feel anything underneath it pushing out... it's very, very strange.

I've found that chewing something has been relieving the feeling (it's not quite pain unless I aggravate it, but it continually makes its presence known, kwim?), but gum is too malleable and soon squishes to where it doesn't make a difference.

I don't know if it's my tooth finally coming through or not
does anyone have any advice to offer? Thanks so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have my wisdom teeth, and it felt about like you describe when they came in. I sometimes chewed on a pen or something, but mostly I just took Tylenol and waited it out. If it lasts a while and no tooth comes in, you'll want to get it checked out.

#3 ·
I remember it was tender and sore for a while. Then it would seem to disappear for a couple of weeks, then it'd bother me again. When they started coming in more, the pain was pressure on my other teeth. Getting them removed hurt much less than having them in!

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
They were a little painful if I was not doing something else- yk, how your mind can be busy on something else. You should make an appointment to go see a dentist to make sure what it is and if there is enough room in your mouth for wisdom teeth...
I'll make an appointment if the pain persists for another few days.

As for there being enough room.. there SHOULD be, my top row of teeth have a lot of big gaps between them which getting new teeth should (hopefully!) push together.
I'm not so sure about on the bottom row... there things are, frankly, perfect. But I only have one wisdom tooth down there

My dentist told me that I should have enough room for it... but then, she also told my mother and not me at all that I only have three wisdom teeth, and that the bottom one (where my gum is hurting) is about to come out (then again, this was about three months ago).

I don't much care for my dentist, tbh. She is waay too sparse with giving me information of any sort, dismissing the problem of extremely sensitive teeth that I've had to live with for the past ten years... so I'm a little sceptical of what, if anything, I'll gain from going to see her about this.

Oops, that post was way too long and rambly
I apologise, the past couple nights of sleep deprivation and hours upon hours of endless studying for math tests are catching up to me.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAfton View Post
Lambsauce- I love your siggy!
What's the 127 mo though?

I used ambasol when my wisdom teeth started coming in. Hopefully they won't cause you too much pain!

127 months is my age.

Thanks for your advice, everyone. My gum has actually stopped hurting now, so...

Actually atm the gum where there is no tooth is kind of aching.
Hopefully I can make an appointment soon...

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAfton View Post
You're only 10 years old? But your siggy says you're in 12th grade. 12th grade is usually 17 year olds, right?

I'm 244 months old.

Oops, you're right
That should be 212... I must have calculated wrong
I'm smart, but not that smart!! (Clearly
)

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambsauce View Post
I was wondering, for those of you who have dcs with their wisdom teeth in... did they experience any pain, what was it like, how long did it last, and what did they do to soothe it?

I ask because I think I might be getting my first of three... all day my gum has been irritating me, and I have no idea what to do about it! I can't see anything when I look into my mouth, but the gum feels different than on the other side of my mouth (where there is no tooth to come out). I guess the best way to describe the feeling is that it kind of feels disrupted, almost split. When I apply pressure there is one spot that flares up in pain, though I can't feel anything underneath it pushing out... it's very, very strange.

I've found that chewing something has been relieving the feeling (it's not quite pain unless I aggravate it, but it continually makes its presence known, kwim?), but gum is too malleable and soon squishes to where it doesn't make a difference.

I don't know if it's my tooth finally coming through or not
does anyone have any advice to offer? Thanks so much.
That's very odd -- I'm having the same thing happen to me right now!
Which is strange, because my dentist said that they were just chilling way underneath the gum a few months ago.
:

My fiance has been having his wisdom teeth bothering him since he was 18... and he's 20 now... and no sign of the actual tooth yet. His dentist is telling him they may be stuck so he may have to have them cut out... which sucks, because they didn't give him braces when he was a kid because they wanted him to have room for his wisdom teeth in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.