Mamas & papas of teens help me, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-03-2003, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!! I'm starting a half time position in the fall at our local high school as a librarian. I am really excited to get to work with teens (instead of my toddlers). So the question for you mamas and papas of teens is... what's hot now? What are the issues that your teens are focused on? How bad are your teens stressors?

Basically anything you can tell me to help me start to reacclimate into the world of teens! I have a (rather large) summer reading list, but what's new and trendy in the world of teenages!?

Thank you so much for your replies!
#2 of 6 Old 05-04-2003, 12:50 PM

My big girl loves the Georgia Nicholson (? not sure on the last name, may ber Nickerson) books. I have read them all too, they are a hoot. She's kinda weird though.
For music she likes Queen, show tunes, Jewel, Ani DeFranco, Bare Naked Ladies, Smash Mouth
For movies she loves the Lord Of The Rings, (Eiljah Wood is her main man), X-men, Vin Disel (yuck) Moulin Rouge.
For Tv I understand "Scubs" is hot, and American Idol...
The boys in her krew like X-box. And talking like dweebs (in my opinion)....
#3 of 6 Old 05-05-2003, 02:51 AM

Well, I have a pre teen, and she's sort of 'different' LOL!! She loves musical theater, Shaksepeare, cooking knitting and sewing and playing the piano.

One thing to remember while working with these kids is that they are KIDS. A lot of adults try to talk to them like mini adults, cause they understand so much and look so grown up. But inside they just want to get in the sandbox with the kindergarteners....

I taught public school for 10 years before becoming a SAHM, and let me tell you that they just want to feel safe and appreciated, not talked down to, and accepted. Sometimes you may be the only positive force in their lives. Be fair but firm. No means no. Don't let them walk all over you. (Hey, now that I think about it, it is a LOT like toddlers LOL!!!) Have fun, laugh. Many teens don't have parents at home so they hang out in the library. Have things for them to explore--like cool internet sites bookmarked. I can look for some. My daugher LOVES neopets.com.

Fads--well Avril Levine is popular, just flip on MTV for a few minutes and you'll get an eyeful

Good luck mama!! Have fun, I loved every minute of it.
#4 of 6 Old 05-05-2003, 10:16 AM

megtell's right; teenagers are just kids, after all, looking for warmth, affection and approval. And, believe me, the more threatening they look, the more loving they need. Don't let yourself ever feel intimidated; just let the mother in you shine!
#5 of 6 Old 05-05-2003, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bianca
megtell's right; teenagers are just kids, after all, looking for warmth, affection and approval. And, believe me, the more threatening they look, the more loving they need. Don't let yourself ever feel intimidated; just let the mother in you shine!
You are soooo right!! I had a boy in school a few years ago. I saw him yesterday walking down a main street. Punked out hair, chains, leather, studs on his legs and around his neck. It broke my heart, I know he is a good boy stuck in a bad life.......I wish his parents could look outside their lives to see that. I think it's an image that will last me a long time........

~Meg
#6 of 6 Old 05-06-2003, 12:56 AM

Punked out hair, chains, leather, studs on his legs and around his neck. It broke my heart, I know he is a good boy stuck in a bad life.......I wish his parents could look outside their lives to see that. I think it's an image that will last me a long time........

Our Ds doesn't have a bad life ( he just thinks so when he is told NO lol)
Since leaving PS I actually LET him wear his chains, leather collars and Marilyn Manson teeshirts ( though I detest MM)
He has two leather collar necklaces one studded one spiked..
He paints his nails and dyes his hair
so does a friend of his
Both boys are really good kids ( other than typical teen stuff) great with little kids and the elderly
Now if it is someone you know and I missed that sorry but other than that don't be surprised if under the rough exterior you find a heart of gold .....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page