How much did/do your kids' braces cost? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-04-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We went to my daughter's orthodontic consultation today and I'm still reeling.

Her braces will cost us $5900. There's a down payment of $1000, a monthly fee of $150, and at the end a $400 retainer to purchase.

This man has been my dd's dentist since she first got teeth. She has had a few sort of complicated dental issues with excellent outcomes. She trusts him, and so do dh and I.

I can't help wondering if this is normal though. She does need a lot of work. He did a slide show of photos of her mouth and teeth and explained everything to us thoroughly, the risks of getting braces, etc. BUT he also explained the risks of NOT having them. She has such a serious overbite that she can't even get the bottom braces for a year, because she would just bite them off. There are other issues too...I know she needs braces. She has teeth that don't even make contact with the other teeth.

BUT...HOLY MOLY. SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! :

So...how much did your kids' braces cost? How long were they/will they be in treatment for their orthodontic issues? Please share!
#2 of 19 Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 AM

We just had the consult for my 11-year-old son. The quote was about $4200 for two years of treatment. However, it will most likely be higher as the dentist thinks it's possible he'll need more than two years of treatment. Also, he might have to have some permanent teeth extracted (but the dentist is trying to avoid that if possible). His mouth is very crowded and right now he has 4 teeth that literally have nowhere to come in at.

It's not $6000, but sheesh....I just might have to have his teeth listed as one of my valuables at the end of all this.

A happy woman
#3 of 19 Old 01-05-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
It's not $6000, but sheesh....I just might have to have his teeth listed as one of my valuables at the end of all this.
:

..and just think...I have an almost 4 year old...and a baby on the way...by the time the oldest is ready to start college, it will be time to think about braces for my now-4 year old...ack!

If their teeth all need $6k braces, I could have had...what...6 AWESOME cruise vacations...or a brand new car...or a new roof and a ton of landscaping...or 900 boxes of REALLY good chocolates...
#4 of 19 Old 01-05-2007, 02:01 PM

My first daughter's was $4600, which we just paid off this week! Woo hoo! Our second daughter will be more expensive, $2000 now for a palateal expander and then another $4000 when she's ready for the rest. We have a flex spending account which helps us manage the payments. No ortho. coverage on our insurance.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#5 of 19 Old 01-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!
My 16-yo's treatment (which is paid for, but not finished) was more than that - and THEN he has to have periodontics work (tooth implants). :

Next week we're having 13-yo DD's orthodontic needs assessed. Here we go again ....

And after her, will be the 6-yo whose fierce thumbsucking has her whole jaw alignment out of whack, not to mention her teeth. :

Thankfully, we do have some insurance coverage and a FSA.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#6 of 19 Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM

My dd had major issues with her teeth. She had a space matainer since she was about 6...there's so much crowding in her mouth that there was no room for teeth. She had to have a couple of teeth pulled before getting her braces on (this was done by her dentist...which is covered under insurance...the ortho isn't).

She had her braces on for almost 2 years. Within weeks you could start to see a difference! Her braces cost me $4650 ($1000 down and $175/mo). Her care was excellent. If she needs the braces, look around and get some estimates, but don't wait too long. A year earlier when I asked about braces for my dd, I was quoted about $3000. It goes up a lot each year!

About a month after her braces came off, my dd had to have her wisdom teeth out! Her final x-ray showed that her wisdom teeth were coming in crooked. After paying out almost $5000, I wasn't going to let them be moved around by the wisdom teeth!!! So, I had to search to find a surgeon who accepted MA....otherwise it was going to cost another $2000 to have the wisdom teeth out!
#7 of 19 Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Nothing... Thank God We Have A Wonderful And Excellent Dental Plan Thru Dh Work... He Better Never Quit Or Get Fired And They Better Never Change The Plan.... Ds 6 Will Need Them.. His Teeth Are Coming In Sideways... Like On 90 Degree Angle Thats Not Kewl... Yes I Said The Dental Insurance Has 100% Ortho. Benefit...
Not Bad For Our Entire Family At 17$/month... Yes All Detnal Cleanings Etc Are Covered... I Think Theres A Minimal Copay For Root Canals Etc....
#8 of 19 Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM

We paid just under 10,000 for our two oldest kids braces. We ended up taking a medical hardship on my husband's 401K plan to pay for them b/c we couldn't afford payments each month. They both got space maintainers at around 7-8 and the braces went in August when they were 11 and 9.5.

Thank God for BCMH coverage on my youngest two b/c they will need braces as well. BCMH will pay whatever isn't covered by insurance, so we have zero money to pay for them.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#9 of 19 Old 01-05-2007, 05:57 PM

$3600 per kid for the first phase. There may or may not be a second phase, depends on the last molars.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#10 of 19 Old 01-06-2007, 12:28 AM

My son's braces cost 4500.00. My daughter's cost 4700.00.

Now I am waiting for the recommendations for wisdom teeth removal to start coming in....
#11 of 19 Old 01-06-2007, 12:38 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama
..or 900 boxes of REALLY good chocolates...
And then you'd need to pay for MORE dental work!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#12 of 19 Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 AM

My daughters' braces cost about $5K. We are on a monthly payment plan otherwise we couldn't afford it. This includes adjustments.
#13 of 19 Old 01-06-2007, 03:59 AM

DD is only 9, but the orthodontist said to budget for $6,000. Since she won't get them until around the age of 12, we'll already have the money set aside. Our insurance doesn't cover anything.

I'm ok with the price.
#14 of 19 Old 01-06-2007, 06:12 AM

my DD's braces are costing about $6000 also.

$1000 down and $200 a month.

that covers everything.
#15 of 19 Old 01-07-2007, 02:28 AM

I beleive it was about 3400. We got a discount for paying up front. We live in Fl-this is an older ortho with over 30 years of expereince. I think most practices are much more expensive. She has had them for about 20 months and got the bottom off and the top is coming off soon , I think. The next appointment is next month.
I compared about three practices and picked the one with an older, more experinced ortho, that seemed "wrmer" to deal iwth. I think it has been a great choice. I have also seen that a lot of my dd's friends have been told that it will be faster, like 6 months. I really turst her ortho who mostly wworks with very disfigured kids now-we got a referral from outr denist to him. She got them shorly after she turned 12. Sallie
#16 of 19 Old 01-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Banned

I'm so screwed. Both kids' teeth aren't that bad but I know they both should have braces when they get older. Fun and games.
#17 of 19 Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Some insurance plans only cover a "one time" use of orthodentia. So befroe you use your insurance to cover a 300$ space maintainer in the childhood years - check and make sure it will not exempt you from using your insurance for orthodentia (like costly braces) in the teen years.

kathy
#18 of 19 Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 PM

I have been in mine now as an adult for almost 2.5 years, I get them off early summer and by the time I am done it will be about 7000 dollars. It is so expensive, but SO WORTH IT. I REALLY needed them and can not tell you how good I feel now.

I paid 1000 down, 140 a month and my insurance picked up a bit too.
#19 of 19 Old 01-07-2007, 08:06 PM

spero, we are looking at the same situation here. Ds1's braces will come off in 2-3 years, just as dd will be of age to have them put on. The dentist has already warned us that she'll need them as well.

I guess in a way now I'm glad that there's a 7 year age difference between dd and ds2. It will give us time to save.

A happy woman

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page