at what age would you leave your child home alone overnight - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane197 View Post
"depending on whether or not his brain dribbles out his ear in the next couple of years."

Oh..... I think you can pretty much count on that :>))
So far, I've been pleasantly surprised. He's more resistant to showers, can't seem to keep track of his clothes, and is occasionally somewhat surly and short-tempered (he denies this vehemently, however). Other than that, he's still the same person he always was. He's a great kid - I like him a lot.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#32 of 45 Old 01-24-2007, 08:19 PM

"He's more resistant to showers, can't seem to keep track of his clothes"

You mean the system of "sprinkling" the clothes around the bedroom floor isn't working for him? - lol. Maybe that is a girl thing. My daughter's bedroom floor looks like she has experienced several major earthquakes in the last several weeks even though I have not heard of any strong seismic activity in the area :>)

But hey, you have to pick your battles, and her own personal organization system works for her -as she amazingly knows where everything is.
#33 of 45 Old 01-26-2007, 12:50 AM

How about at 25! NO really I think that it depends on the kid. If yours is a good kid and very responsible 16 would be fine. If not I think that I would wait a while. It's alot of responsibility to be home alone and can even be sacary to older kids. Heck when my husband works nights it still freaks me out a wee bit and I'm about to have my 3rd child!
#34 of 45 Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 AM

I was 16, nearly 17. My parents still don't really trust me alone, though. I'm not entirely sure why, especially since I loathe the party scene and would therefore keep my alone-ness a secret closely guarded.
But there are also people I know who, if they were my kids, I would NEVER let them stay home overnight. So much irresponsibility.
#35 of 45 Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 PM

My daughter is 14. I am NOT overprotective at all.

But, I am no where near ready to leave her overnight. I don't think I could sleep, knowing she was home alone. If she had a sibling, maybe I would. I think when I do the first time, it will be with a friend. Just incase she gets scared.

This is an excellent thread idea though. This gives me some idea of what would be considered normal.
#36 of 45 Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM

21? 25? At 14, if we were alone at home, there would have been a party at our house. Then again, I was completely 100% responsible babysitting others' children for a weekend at 11 (and I did it, for a baby and a 3 year old) and never ever had a friend over while babysitting. My own home, on the other hand, was a perfect place to have a party!!
#37 of 45 Old 01-26-2007, 10:11 PM

18. maybe 17, depending on circumstances. But it would depend on the child and his/her comfort & maturity level and wherther they were chomping at the rebellion bit thinking a party involving alcohol and drugs would be a brillaint thing to host.
#38 of 45 Old 01-27-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

my husband clarified this for me and said 30!!
i think i agree

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#39 of 45 Old 01-27-2007, 11:35 PM

Depends on the specific child.

14-ish sounds like a good number, though.

babyf.gif

#40 of 45 Old 01-27-2007, 11:37 PM

BTW, when I was a kid, my parents never really went away, so I don't remember staying home alone at night... but I did house-sit in my brother's house, alone, for a week when I was 16.

babyf.gif

#41 of 45 Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane197 View Post
I hate it when my husband is gone overnight as well - I just don't sleep well. Guess what we don't know when we are young and naive can be a good thing in some ways :>))
Me too- the house does not squeak when he is home and there are never nighttime noises outside!!! What is up with that??!!??

My oldest is 11 and I just started leaving the 3 of them for an hour so i can run to the store or gym and get a bit done while dh is out of town. So overnight is a ways away.
I was left around 14 and had MAJOR parties at the house.. but dd is far more mature than I was at her age so I am thinking 14ish sounds good!
#42 of 45 Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 AM

My parents always had a relative stay with us if they were gone
overnight. The first time they went away, overnight, without an
adult in the home was when we were all in college. My youngest
sibling would've been 18. I actually think this was very smart of
them. We were all good and trustworthy kids, but, personally, I
felt a bit overwhelmed and lonely when I, the oldest, was left in
charge of my siblings for too long.

My opinion is that it's nice to have a trustworthy grown-up around.
By the way, none of the kids in my family were of the detest-adult
variety. It was a special treat to have an aunt or uncle or such stay
with us and spend time with us.

peace,
teastaigh
#43 of 45 Old 02-01-2007, 08:57 PM

tarted staying home alone for several hours at a time when I was 9. By the time I was 13 I was staying home alone overnight. I don't remember when I first stayed home alone for a weekend, but I was doing it every other weekend when I was 16. My parents had a large ranch 4 hours from where we lived, and my dad was there a ton of the time. My mom would go to visit him on the weekends and I hated going so I stayed home. I was really pretty good in general, but defiantly did a few things my mom would NOT have approved of. Actually I lied to her about some of the stuff that went on. I'd have mini parties with my 3 best friends (2 girls and 1 boy). But we didn't drink, or smoke or anything, and nothing sexual ever went on. Mostly we watched movies. One time we had an indoor water fight. And on a dare the boy slept naked once. But nobody saw him naked, lol, he was under blankets the whole time! A few time a couple other kids came over and they drank a little, but I never did. Not then anyway...
#44 of 45 Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 PM

#45 of 45 Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No, I don't think I'll be doing this. My 13 and 11 year olds are wonderful, but I think they could be pressed by friends into doing the wrong things if their friends knew we were out of town.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page