What language does your teen speak? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure what language my boys are speaking, but it contains four main words: dude, rock, sweet, and amazing.

DS#1 "Dude, Johnny got a new chocolate cell phone. It rocks."

DS#2 "Sweet. Those are amazing."

DS#1 "Dude"

:

What are your kids saying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 06:05 PM

My son says "dude" frequently. He's even called me "dude" a few times. Most of what he says contains the phrase "Frickin' sweet".

My daughter has always had the vocabulary of a 50 year old, college educated woman. When she uses slang, it sounds strange.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 PM

Mine speaks that language too. My 4 yo does too mimicking his bro.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
Old 02-13-2007, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh yea, we're fluent in "dude" around here. But it's not just the teens. I say it at least as often.

My kids are pretty well spoken, but we are also very casual and silly. So there's a lot of dude, sweet, bitchin, sucky, and many other words I can't write here!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 02-13-2007, 06:26 PM

I don't have teens (sorry for crashing this forum!), but I call my son, "dude" sometimes and has started repeating me.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

Old 02-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinTEX View Post
I'm not sure what language my boys are speaking, but it contains four main words: dude, rock, sweet, and amazing.

DS#1 "Dude, Johnny got a new chocolate cell phone. It rocks."

DS#2 "Sweet. Those are amazing."

DS#1 "Dude"

:

What are your kids saying?

hmm...sounds like me 20 years ago!

DS1 likes "random", as in "that's totally random".

He says "like" 15 times per sentence.

He's really into laughing by making donkey noises.

He and his friends also use "sweet" and "it rocks". Those make me laugh because I can remember saying the same things. I keep wondering if "awesome", "choice" and "wicked" are due to make a comeback...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-13-2007, 08:44 PM

I have no idea what language my teen speaks ... he makes words up (hehe like his mama sometimes does : ), this drives his father nuts!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:57 PM

I don't have a teen, but I taught HS math before DD was born. My kids called everything gay. It drove me batty : The homework was gay, other students were gay, the method of working a problem was gay, all rules mine or school in general were gay.... I tried really hard to not allow it in my classroom. I'm sure I managed to communicate to any student that was offended that I disagreed with using gay as an insult , but I sure didn't manage to break them of it .

I also heard plenty of dude, sweet, etc, but I'm young enough that I hardly noticed all of that

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 PM

Gay bothered the bejeebers out of me. I tried to explain numerous times to DS and friends that it might be quite offensive.
They replied that it didn't refer to homesexuals at all, it just meant "lame".

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm so glad my teens don't use gay as a synonym for "stupid" or "gross". Grrr.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 PM

Mine hasn't really picked up any unusual slang that I've noticed. I've been known to say that rocks on occasion myself so

and gay as word to mean stupid, no not happening here. she and I both find it annoying when other people say that.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM

The OPs conversation could easily take place at our house.

Usually ds remembers to call me and dd "Dudette" instead of just "Dude".

I am also very offended by "Gay" as a synonym for "not good"; it is extremely inaccurate as well as being homophobic. No matter how much you may like or dislike a shirt, it is physically impossible for a shirt to have a sexual preference.

I also dislike "tard" and its many variations and expect better from my children, who have twin cousins with FAS and straight A Averages. The cousins deserve applause and college scholarships for all that they have overcome, not ridicule for hardships that they have never had any control over.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 AM

i don't have a teen. i have a 6yo. but i am going to have a teen before i blink!
so thought i might get a "head's up".

we speak "dude" here. but then i lived at the beach for 14 years before moving to the mountains. i thought that was beach-speak, not everywhere-speak! i am surprised. and yes, we say "dudette" too.

i say "rock on", "groovy" (but then i'm really old ... and sometimes i have even been known to regress and say "gravy" instead )

the gay thing.....it's so weird. i'm actually old enough to remember when gay meant happy. NOT a sexual orientation. that came later. so maybe it's evolving to mean the opposite of what it originally meant. or something. but yes, i think its current incarnation of "stupid" or "lame" started by meaning that gay (as in homosexual) is lame. and in that incarnation, i think it's awful. i hope my ds never says that. but he's very defiant and contrary by nature, and might do it just to piss people off, if he hears it spoken that way

has anyone heard "ginormous"?? that's a new one on me. i kind of like it

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 02-14-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
hmm...sounds like me 20 years ago!

DS1 likes "random", as in "that's totally random".

He says "like" 15 times per sentence.

He's really into laughing by making donkey noises.

He and his friends also use "sweet" and "it rocks". Those make me laugh because I can remember saying the same things. I keep wondering if "awesome", "choice" and "wicked" are due to make a comeback...

it has.. just visit the Boston area...
oh, and by the way, it's wicked cold up here right now...
Old 02-14-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
has anyone heard "ginormous"?? that's a new one on me. i kind of like it

pamela
Oh yea we say ginormous too. A fave of ourse is "craptastic" "what's crappenin" and "wonky"

Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 AM

I love this thread. DS#1 is 18, dd is 15 and ds#2 is 13 so they all speak the lingo.

We have alot of the "dude" and "that was random" going on here. DD also uses the word "like" excessively (As in "like I would never wear that." or " I was like totally bummed that my mom wouldn't let me go. She is like such a retard" :
I have banned the whole saying "gay" in a derogatory sense because ds#1 is gay. He told his sibs was hurtful when they would use the word "gay" in place of lame or stupid.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:30 AM

craptastic !
Old 02-14-2007, 02:36 AM

I just used craptastic in conversation with dd and she asked me if I was on drugs.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomvicki View Post
I just used craptastic in conversation with dd and she asked me if I was on drugs.
Ha!! She'd think we were all really flying high here then! I think it's interesting and cool how some slang tends to be wide spread and general, and others are more limited and local.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:43 AM

My cellar dweller speaks that dialect too

Yes we call him the cellar dweller ... his room is in our basement w/ a bathroom thats connected to a rec room w/ computer and big screen
I dont allow food in the basement or I would NEVER see him

The "COOLEST" thing is his cell phone doesnt have service in the basement. He HAS to use the house phone.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 02-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned

I'll be the oddball... or my kid will be. DD only uses "like" too much.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:58 PM

This is how I talk. LOL

Yeah, we say "ginormous," "dude," "craptastic..." and we make up our own words too.

We love language and how it can flow and change. I think my children, aged 8 and 18, have large vocabularies (they've both been told this on numerous occasions) so casual speaking doesn't ruffle my feathers at all. When they need a word, it comes to them. No prob. It's all good in the hood (an oldie but still used around here). LOL

One word that bugs me for some insane reason is "random." Often, I've heard children or teens use it when they don't really know what the original meaning is...it shows in their usage. I dunno why that bothers me, but it does.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:40 PM

funny thread.

we say ginormous a lot in our house too. not a lot of like, dude, or dudette though. i have had to scold for the "that is so gay" phrase a few times :

but mostly, my teen just speaks in grunts & clicks. uh-huh, unn-uh, mmm hhhmm, shhhchhhhhttt (sucking teeth), pppppffffffff (exagerrated sigh), etc.

drives me nuts.

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
Old 02-14-2007, 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=J

Yes we call him the cellar dweller ... his room is in our basement w/ a bathroom thats connected to a rec room w/ computer and big screen
I dont allow food in the basement or I would NEVER see him

The "COOLEST" thing is his cell phone doesnt have service in the basement. He HAS to use the house phone.[/QUOTE]

Fabulous ideas. I'd wonder if I even had kids sometimes if it wasn't for the wet towels on the bathroom floor that I didn't leave there.

Not to scare parents of preteens and young teens. My family is in crisis right now and I shouldn't even be posting until things improve, but it was just so nice to find a lighthearted thread I can relate to in the midst of all this and remind myself how fun teens can be, how much I miss the good times, and that they really are worth the effort of working through the bad times.

Thank you, OP.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomvicki View Post
We have alot of the "dude" and "that was random" going on here.
I was starting to wonder if "random" was just ds1 - I don't hear it from his friends much...

Quote:
DD also uses the word "like" excessively (As in "like I would never wear that." or " I was like totally bummed that my mom wouldn't let me go. She is like such a retard"
This is not excessive. The same speech from ds1 would be:

"I was like totally bummed that my like mom wouldn't like let me go. She's like such a like idiot" (ds1 never says "retard" or "tard" - doesn't seem to be in around here...luckily).

Quote:
I have banned the whole saying "gay" in a derogatory sense because ds#1 is gay. He told his sibs was hurtful when they would use the word "gay" in place of lame or stupid.
The way "gay" is now used is totally bizarre. DS1 wore his Halloween hat to school on November 1st. It was a Three Musketeers kind of hat with a feather in it. A bunch of kids told him it was "gay". Whatever - as someone else said, a piece of clothing has no sexual orientation. It's interesting, though - I don't think I've ever heard ds1 or any of his friends use "gay" to mean homosexual...they actually say "homosexual".

Has anyone else ever seen the spelling "geigh" to mean lame? WTF?

ETA: DS1's other things are random phrases that have nothing to do with anything. He loves "pickle" - no connection to anything, just "pickle" (one of his best friends does this with "gobble"). He also answers questions with "I ate it", "your face" or "your mother", when those answers make no sense. Okay - "I ate it" is usually in response to "where is X?", but the others?

Me: Please pass the salt.
DS1: Your face.

DH: DS1, what do you have for homework?
DS1: Your mother.

WTF?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Oh yea we say ginormous too. A fave of ourse is "craptastic" "what's crappenin" and "wonky"
Ahhh...Simpsonese...my favorite language!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 02-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
He also answers questions with "I ate it", "your face" or "your mother", when those answers make no sense. Okay - "I ate it" is usually in response to "where is X?", but the others?

Me: Please pass the salt.
DS1: Your face.

DH: DS1, what do you have for homework?
DS1: Your mother.

WTF?
Your face happens here too from Ds (15).

Old 02-15-2007, 12:28 AM

it sounds to me like "your face" and "your mother" are meant to be derogatory, or fresh (my *mother's* meaning of fresh, as in talking back). kind of like a teenage "f*** you". does he say it that way? or some other way? does it make you angry or frustrated when he says it?

craptastic...is that meaning generally crappy?

i'm reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman right now..there is a guy in there that says "absaTIVEly". i might adopt that

the "random" thing would bug me, too. i hate when people use terms having NO IDEA of their original meaning. like it's funny, i have taken to correcting people when they say "i learned it by osmosis"....i'm going "no, that's diffusion"

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 02-15-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
it sounds to me like "your face" and "your mother" are meant to be derogatory, or fresh (my *mother's* meaning of fresh, as in talking back). kind of like a teenage "f*** you". does he say it that way? or some other way? does it make you angry or frustrated when he says it?
Naw, around here it's just got a "whatever" kind of tone behind it. My teens cand and do say the F word with regularity though, so "your face" is no big deal. :

Quote:
craptastic...is that meaning generally crappy?
Yea pretty much. Like instead of fantastic or spectacular we say craptastic or craptacular, lol.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 AM

My ds #1 is away at college this year (he's 18 1/2) and I'm finding I'm missing some of his speech. "What the crap?" was a favorite, as was "Snap!" usually drawn way out as in "Saa-napp!" I think meaning the same as "Sweet!" kind of thing. He emailed me tonight wondering if I could "hook him up?" meaning he needs me to have his dad bring his boots to him since we have so much snow (he's only an hour and a half a way, only 1/2 an hour from dh's work.) He has some other silly phrases, but they are really related to previous silly conversations between him and I or him and his friends, so I don't think they are widespread usages. One is "g-homey." One time, a friend's dad was driving him home and he and the friend were goofing around in the back seat, and the friend was saying he'd seen a third friend recently and said "So I said, what's up homey G?" At just that moment, they were pulling into our drive and our lawn grass was ridiculously long, and the dad said to my Chris "You need to go G-homey that grass!" For some reason, that absolutely cracked up ds and his friend, and me when it was repeated to me, and we used the phrase regularly for a while, as in "You need to G-homey that homework" or whatever else. We have a bunch of other silly-isms that would take even longer to explain.

Sometimes my little ones pick up the lingo with not quite right results. Recently, my littlest (3 yr old dd) was hiding from her next oldest brother (ds age 9 1/2) and jumped out at him yelling "Booo!" Ds had heard her hiding, but pretended to be terrified, which pleased her no end. She came running to me laughing and said "Mom! I scared Justin out of the crap!" When I told dh later, he chuckled and said "Well, thank goodness she scared him out of THAT!"

User Tag List