At what age did your daughter's menses commence? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 1st dd was almost 13, poor thing was away visiting her Auntie in New York when she got it. It was very traumatic for both of us.
Second dd was 13+ when she got hers. She was very, very annoyed.
DD 3 is 11, so far no signs, no breast buds or hair or anything.

I was 11.

I drank a lot of milk, although it was organic milk fresh from the local dairy farmer, and they barely touched the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
It is so nice to read a positive account. I am getting drawn into the awfulness of it all. I hope my daughter makes it to 12 and is ready herself. Thank you for the breath of fresh air.
You're very welcome!

I personally do not understand why it isn't commonly thought of as a beautiful, sacred event. I know my daughter was influenced by my own behavior about my own cycle. And I love mine ~ it's a time for introspection, going inward, celebrating life. I use the water I've soaked my pads in (cloth pads) to water my plants, & it's just generally a wonderful week in my house. Even my boys understand the sacredness of it.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Old 04-08-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
You're very welcome!

I personally do not understand why it isn't commonly thought of as a beautiful, sacred event.
Probably because for a lot of women/girls it's a time of pain and miserable mood change.

My first period at 12 and a half was a hassle. The ones that followed painful and an inconvenience.

Eighteen years on they're increasingly painful (no medical cause) and a constant reminder of my fertility issues. So, no, they aren't beautiful or sacred for me. There is nothing beautiful about being in so much pain you want to crawl under the desk and die.

I' wish someone ha given me a hot water bottle and a packet of co-codermol for my first cycle gift.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
My first period at 12 and a half was a hassle. The ones that followed painful and an inconvenience.
I'm sorry you felt that way about it.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
You're very welcome!

I personally do not understand why it isn't commonly thought of as a beautiful, sacred event. I know my daughter was influenced by my own behavior about my own cycle. And I love mine ~ it's a time for introspection, going inward, celebrating life. I use the water I've soaked my pads in (cloth pads) to water my plants, & it's just generally a wonderful week in my house. Even my boys understand the sacredness of it.

I do not mean to sound like I am stalking you but I have never thought of it so positively. It is so easy to focus on the negatives even w/o painful periods or trouble conceiving. I am going to make a real effort to treat it as such and hope to pass that onto my daughters.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I do not mean to sound like I am stalking you but I have never thought of it so positively.

I think it's really important. I think the attitude that it has to be hidden...cleaned up....disguised....and hated is just so sad. If women or men are hating something so deeply rooted in a woman's body, health, fertility, and sacred self, there's something wrong. I do not know where this came from, but I believe that if women model something different to their children it's bound to change. And I think a change in attitude about it can influence perceptions of pain & discomfort.

When my moon time comes, I instinctively feel changes occurring...I begin to withdraw from others, I sense a change in how I feel in my clothes, my emotions & nerves become more exposed and vulnerable....and it is a signal for me that I am turning inward. I have special jewelry to wear, special, more comfortable clothes. It's a time for introspection & spirituality...and it brings a renewal as it's gift. The water from the soaked pads brings good minerals to my plants & garden. I make sure my children see this process and I talk about it.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mama in the forest! I am right there with you in your process for moon time. You just described my monthly process to a T. I also even get intimate with the physical sensations. To me, it is a very similar (modified) experience of labor. And it IS a kind of labor, IMO. Our bodies are squeezing out an unused egg, and the hormonal and some of the physical experience is very much like squeezing out a 'used egg'.

Another hobby of mine at moon time is to squat over a canvas and paint my blood into a piece of art. My daughter is looking forward to joining me, soon.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
7 would be considered precocious puberty - that would be outside the realm of normal. Boobybunny did your DD just have 2 cycles and then they went away or it's just been 2 months?

-Lori

Nope, 7 is the early side of normal, and very normal for AA girls. We have had the wrist xrays, pelvic ultrasounds (though the tummy, not with the internal wand) to rule out ovarian cysts. (I have them)

She has now had three cycles, they are coming every 32 days.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 AM

I believe I started...the month after I turned 12?

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 AM

My dd is only 5 and I'm hoping for another 5 years at least before she gets a visit from AF. I was 8 I think, my mom thinks 9. I started just months after my sisiter who is 4 years older then I am. Her body type is similar to my mom's side of the family although she is taller and heavier then most of the other women. I'm short and curvy like my dad's birth family. The women in my dad's birth family are very open so I know that all of us had a very early first AF. Based on body type it's a good guess that the women on dh's mother's side of the family also started early. Growing up most of the meat I ate was whatever dad got turning hunting season so no hormones there. I was never a big milk eater and hate cheese so if the hormone levels were the same then I wasn't getting them that way either. Looking at all of the data from our families it seems to me that genetics also play a big role in how we all mature.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 04-17-2007, 12:35 PM

I was 9 or 10, my DD is 9 and has started to get breast buds, and she is an emotional wreck about 1 week a month. My husband wishes she would just start so their would be evidence. I hope we can hold it off another year. She has no pubic or underarm hair yet...
Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 PM

I was 13 1/2 when I started. I grew up in the UK and I know only one of the girls at my grade school had started (at age 10) when we graduated from there to middle school at age 11. The rest of us started between 11 and 14.

My elder daughter will be 13 in May, and I've been expecting it for the last 6 months or so. She has small breasts (more than buds) and definite hips. The first of her same-grade school friends started about a year ago. We have always drunk organic, non-hormone milk, primarily because I had read of links between hormones in dairy and early-onset puberty (though for other reasons too -- general health, supporting the smaller local farms rather than big agri-business, etc). Also, we eat very little meat.

Ruth

User Tag List