How to deal with being picked on? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-05-2003, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 10 and will be going into the 5th grade..Recently he has begun talking about other kids teasing him...He is a very sensitive kid, NON violent, well behaved, gifted...He is looking for some way to deal with these other kids aggressions, both verbal and physical (and this kids buddies). He doesn't want to get physical or use foul language. He has mentioned that his other friends are always telling him to stick up for himself. I just don't know what to tell my poor kid! I am soo incredibly proud of him for standing by what he firmly believes in AND that he is a gentle, thoughtful human being. BUT I am really worried that this could become a pattern for him. He needs some sort of plan or strategy...
Any suggestions???
#2 of 3 Old 06-10-2003, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished a pretty decent book called "Sticks and Stones". Got it at the library, don't remember the author's name. I didn't agree with all the advice, but some of it was good, and even better, it was practical. There were examples of what your child could say in response to such and such teasing, bullying, etc. There were scripts and role plays to read out loud together. Maybe that will help you! It's helped me respond to my 9 yo dsd when she talks about stuff kids say to her at school.
#3 of 3 Old 06-11-2003, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sticks and Stones: 7 Ways Your Child Can Deal With Teasing, Conflict, and Other Hard Times - by Scott Cooper

I just went out to Amazon.com and read about it. It sounds like an excellent book. Sounds like I could have used this when I was a kid. And my own ds, almost 4 y.o., will probably need some of these skills. He tends to over react and act angrily when he doesn't quite understand what's happened, or if he thinks someone is being mean to him, even if they aren't.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page