Fun ideas for coed (?!) outdoor b'day party for 12 yo DSD... - Mothering Forums
Preteens and Teens > Fun ideas for coed (?!) outdoor b'day party for 12 yo DSD...
StillForest's Avatar StillForest 01:52 PM 06-05-2003
Hi All,

I'm stepmom to a soon-to-be 12 year-old-DD who lives with us for 3-6 months of the year (DXW is on the other side of the US). DSD arrived back to us for the summer about two weeks ago. I still feel like a fledgling step-Mama and jumping in and out of this role every few months has been very challenging. But overall, I think we're doing very well.

Anyway, DSD has decided that she wants to have a coed 12th Bday party and has invited 25 kids to our home.
I'm scared! But trying to be optimistic and proactive--- running out to get a volleyball set and frisbees this afternoon.

I'd love to hear any ideas you may have for fun games/ice breakers for
12-year-old boys and girls.

TIA!

Sharon, step-mama in training ;-)

thejmeister's Avatar thejmeister 11:36 PM 06-05-2003
At that age, organized games and get-to-know-you activities just aren't "cool". Your best bet is to get a song list from your stepson, burn some CDs, and crank up the stereo.

Have a table full of munchies (fruits, veggies, maybe candy and chips if you do junk food).

If you don't have a problem with squirt guns, stock up on some cheap ones and hand them out. They can double as party favors. Maybe fill up a few buckets full of water balloons, too. Divide the kids into two teams, and have a water war.
StillForest's Avatar StillForest 05:19 PM 06-08-2003
Thank so much for responding! I'm still very new to this board and it was great to get your perspective. Fortunately it is still a little too cool here for water fights---I really didn't want to deal with coed wet t-shirt issues either : .

They ended up playing volleyball and soccer in the yard with the stereo blasting all the while . I was so relieved that they embraced the sports idea! Party was a hit!

Thanks again!
Up