At what age did your child start orthodontic treatment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had our 9 1/2 year old to the ortho. for a consult yesterday and are starting her treatment with an appliance to stop a strong tongue thrust from years of thumb sucking. She has a pretty deep bite and her front teeth are protruding a bit. The orthodontist gave very valid points for starting treatment now (we were refered by our dentist). I was just curious where some of you all started with your kids-----she will be one of the first in her class to have braces in the fall.
Thanks!!~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 09:28 PM

Funny you should post this now, I was just wondering the same thing. I am taking my just-turned-11 year old son next week for his initial consultation. His eye teeth are coming in too high.
I thought he was too young, but I guess not!
#3 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 11:20 PM

I had braces starting at age 10. I think it went well, I sure enjoyed not having them in high school. Also, my parents took me to all the appointments, so that's a consideration. Many of my high school friends drove themselves.
In my case, I just got permanent teeth early by several years. I had two teeth pulled to slow the crowding and delay the braces a bit.

JMHO, go for it earlier rather than later if it doesn't matter. I think compliance is better for younger kids.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 7 Old 06-06-2003, 12:35 AM

My middle dd was 7. Crowding was very evident. She has had a hyrex on the top for about 10 months and one on the bottom for about 6 months. I have already spent more on her teeth than I have ever spent on a car in my life....and we have a ways to go yet....
#5 of 7 Old 06-06-2003, 10:05 AM

My 12 year old is just starting with braces - he has only a slight misalignment problem. They would have started earlier but he was late losing his baby teeth.
#6 of 7 Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 PM

My dd got a palate explander when 6, and full braces at 13. She's 15 now, and just got them off.
#7 of 7 Old 06-07-2003, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!
I think we are going to be better off starting her treatment now rather than wait til 13 or 14. The ortho. said the tongue thrust gets more difficult to retrain with age and I don't want her over- bite to become a teasing point for her.
I appreciate the response!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page