Anyone else miss this little tidbit over the Christmas rush? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-06-2003, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another good reason to homeschool! I ran across this today. The military can recruit your 15yr. old at school!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/12...gh.schools.ap/
#2 of 8 Old 06-07-2003, 08:00 PM

and hi fellow Texan
#3 of 8 Old 06-07-2003, 09:20 PM

Oh my gosh

Hi Texas moms!!!
#4 of 8 Old 06-09-2003, 06:40 PM

Yeah, I heard about it and was NOT happy. Whole lot of my family are in the Marines and I am not opposed to the military, but I am totally opposed to my kid being hounded and marketed to while he should be studying and just getting through teenage angst. My uncle the war hero (a marine in WWII) is also outraged.
#5 of 8 Old 06-20-2003, 12:53 PM

How brown-shirtish can we get?????
#6 of 8 Old 06-20-2003, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by calgal007
How brown-shirtish can we get?????
But, the way things are going now, I think the powers that be would further co-opt our national imagery and make them re-white-and-blue-shirts.
#7 of 8 Old 06-20-2003, 07:02 PM

Please, don't anyone flame on me for what I am about to point out. Just read and respond.
When I was in college I took a "Modern European History" class. The professor was German and had not only lived through WWII in Germany, he managed to collect a lot of German propaganda material. It showed the Swastika on all different consumer products. I found it really distressing, because it was so prevalent and clearly, the German people really bought into the government at that time. Lately, I have noticed how many American flags are on consumer products, bumper stickers, store signs. One day I had the thought that if I were from another culture, I would perhaps feel the same level of distress that as a college student, I had felt upon seeing all those Swastikas. It made me realize that as an American, I do NOT believe in the things our current government is pursuing. However, I see all around me, that Americans who do are flying their colors so to speak. No doubt to people from other cultures, we are all the same, just as I thought all Germans were the same. Dangerous stuff!
#8 of 8 Old 06-20-2003, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There was a loy of discussion about this in Activism back then. The threads are probably still around if someone wants to read them. It is distressing... and actually the caption under the photo at CNN is wrong... this law allows greater access to military recruiters than to Uni's, not equal. Your school would be violating the law if it gave contact info on your kid to a Uni without permission.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page