Age for onset of menarche - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd started her period yesterday -- on her thirteenth birthday!! I was surprised at how maternal and tender it made me feel.

She's about 90 lbs, 5 foot 2, raised on organic dairy and produce, very little meat of any kind, maybe chicken once every two weeks, red meat every three weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 77 Old 06-29-2007, 05:11 AM

I was 11, very petite, 5' maybe 90 lbs. My lil sister started about the same age, she was more average built and physically active. We both grew up on a farm so no hormones or such in our meat.

I've been thinking about this though, my dd is almost ten and just got her first bra. I know it's coming soon and we've talked about it. Off topic did you do something special to celebrate, for your child or when you were one? I was so embaressed that I didn't even tell my mom for several months. I want to do something for my dd so that she will not be ashamed or embaressed by it. Any ideas?
#63 of 77 Old 07-01-2007, 11:31 PM

I was 11; thin; average amount of meat and dairy. Started my period summer between 5th and 6th grade while on weekend visitation with my dad...I was too embarassed to tell him so I stuffed my underwear with toilet paper all weekend. I had to pretend to be sick to get out of swimming with him and my little sister. Not a fun way to start!
#64 of 77 Old 07-02-2007, 12:12 AM

I was 12 and a little on the chubby side, and my sister, who is 2 years older than me and more skinny than I am, started when she was 14, just 6 months before mine started. Maybe chubbiness/skinniness had something to do with that.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#65 of 77 Old 07-02-2007, 12:28 AM

I was 12 when I got it in October 2000. But then I didn't get another period until like...May of 2001! Weird!!!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#66 of 77 Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM

I was chubby and 12...my sister was average sized and 11...my DD is lean (she's a runner, 5'3" and 95-105 pounds depending on her training) and hasn't started yet...she just turned 14.
#67 of 77 Old 07-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned

I was 16. I'm tall and thin and have small breasts. I was the last by far of all my friends to hit puberty. I grew to 5'8" in the 8th grade but stayed gangly and completely curveless until end of my junior year.
#68 of 77 Old 07-03-2007, 12:41 PM

I was in the US at the time (had lived in Germany until age 7). I was skinny and 9. I ate cereal every day and had tons more dairy.

I had, for unknown reasons, a great deal of shame about it. I didn't tell a single person about it (not even my mom) and managed to ruin a lot of clothes trying to use only 1 maxi pad a day for 5 days. I kept all of my accidentally bloody clothing in a locked suitcase under my bed until my mom found it when I was 11-12. That was the longest secret I ever kept..

I still have no idea WHY, and I hope that there's a good comfortable way to discuss this with my future daughters so they don't feel any shame in telling me.

It really sucked because all my friends were bragging about starting, and I wanted to, too, but couldn't because I didn't want my mom to find out. She's never said anything to make me thing it's... shameful... so I don't know what it was. I guess we just weren't that close, for me to divulge that kind of information.

Anyone wanna do a psych work up? LOL.

ETA: I don't know if this is relevant, but for the first few months I only had brown blood, no red at all. It wasn't until I was almost 10 that it was red.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#69 of 77 Old 07-03-2007, 02:32 PM

I was 15 when I started.
I was skinny, not too tall, and not very curvy at all.
I have 4 girls, and have been feeding them organic dairy and meat for the last 4 years. Hopefully, this will curb the early bloomer syndrome that a lot of girls seem to be going through in this day and age. I firmly believe that the addition of growth hormones to conventionally produced dairy and meat contributes to the early menarche of girls. My 11 year old hasn't started yet, but I think she will soon. Hopefully my 7, 5, and 3 year olds will be in their teens as well. I would be seriously freaked out if any of them started at the age of 8 or so.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#70 of 77 Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 PM

I was 16 .... my other 3 sisters were 13 or 14 (2 older-twins and 1 younger) I did however have an eating disorder as a young teenager so I believe that is what offset it for me.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#71 of 77 Old 07-08-2007, 03:27 PM

Also in the 80's....I started at 8, almost 9 & was a bit chubby with too much in the boob department already. I remember my female classmates accusing me of suffing my bra in the 5th grade. I didn't even know what that meant!

Shannon
#72 of 77 Old 07-11-2007, 01:51 PM

I was 13, lean and sportsy, loved milk and meat, but doubt that they were hormone treated (grew up in Europe). My little sister started around the same age.

Only my older sister had her menarche late at 17 years of age. However, she had an eating disorder, so this may have had something to do with it. My paternal grandmother was also a late bloomer, so she also might have received those genes. In any case, it was problematic, because she had a late mental start into teenagehood as well, i.e. did not rebel or assert herself before her menarche which made the whole thing really strange and age-inappropriate. :
#73 of 77 Old 07-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started at 10, the earliest of my sisters or my mother (my sisters, however, developed much more slowly than I did...by 11 or 12 I was a DD and being mistaken for my 16 yo sister).

I did a huge report during my college years about this, and there is a lot of controversy. I wasn't overweight, but I was curvy and needed a bra at 10. My sisters, however, started their cycles around age 15 or so, and were not (and still are not) as curvy as me. I'm not obese, never have been, nor am I of the athletic/aerobic build (I'm more of a weightlifter than a runner).

My daughters are 14.5 and almost 12, and still haven't started. However, for the past 7 years I've been either pregnant or nursing, and they are homeschooled, so I do think that has a lot to do with it. My eldest is a swimmer, too, and super muscular, my almost-12yo is athletic but is catching up with her sister in the development dept. I fully expect that within a few months both girls will begin cycling with me (my baby is 20 mos old and my cycles are fully back).

My step dd is 15.5 and started years ago, but she grew up drinking milk and eating a ton of meat, whereas I didn't let my girls drink cow's milk until about a year ago, and even then they rarely want it. StepDd has a totally different body type and is not nearly as physically active as the other girls, so that is also (I believe) a factor.

I'm glad my girls didn't start at 10 like I did. Having DD breasts at 11 was incredibly difficult socially, and my cycles were so heavy I was constantly ruining pants at school, even with lots of protection. I don't know how many days I spent with my jacket tied around my waist, which is like a neon sign saying, "I just bled all over these jeans, thank-you-very-much. Feel free to point and laugh."

Hopefully, when my girls do start, they'll be ready and will have lighter cycles. I know swimmers, especially, are more likely to wait longer to cycle at all and to have lighter cycles (she swims 5-6 nights/week for 1.5 hours).

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#74 of 77 Old 07-13-2007, 12:36 PM

I was in the 7th grade .. so I was 12. I was a bit "thick" ... not chubby, but not rail thin, either. You know, that was back in the days where you only had one or 2 "fat kids" in school .... because we played OUTSIDE all summer long. (sorry ... off on a tangent!)

My daughter is 12, and has the same sort of build as I do (I'm petite, but curvy/hippy), except she will end up being taller than I am, I think. She hasn't started yet ... I fully expect her to at any time. About 1/2 of her class at school has started.

I figure we will cycle at the same time eventually .... my poor DH:

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#75 of 77 Old 07-15-2007, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started on August 2nd, one week after my 13th birthday. I remember it like it was yesterday....can't you tell I was traumatized?!?!?! :

Anyhow, I was skinny-average I suppose, but I remember I was one of the first of my friends to start. This was in 1991.....

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#76 of 77 Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 AM

I was 12, it was the summer before 7th grade. I was thin and ate average amounts of meat, dairy, veggies. I was never regular until about 18, though!
#77 of 77 Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 AM

I was twelve and skinny. I think I was in seventh grade. My sister was the same age and very well endowed in the chest area. We grew up in California in the 80's.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page