Back in the USA!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-19-2001, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!! I hope some of my old friends are still here!!

After a molitov cocktail was thrown at a German family who lived very near to us, we decided it was time to leave Saudi Arabia. My husband is still over there finishing his contract. He will visit at Christmas and then return home in March. I am hoping he will get another overseas job in the future. We have decided he will not try to get a job in a muslim country again. We haven't had much luck in muslim countries recently(had to leave Indonesia because of the overthrowing of Suharto and now Saudi Arabia because of 9/11.) Or, maybe we will just stay here in America. My husband has been working overseas for 6 and a half years so, it may be time to be Americans for a while.

My 3 kids and I have settled into life here. I am looking for a part time job at the moment. The kids are looking forward to snow.

I will go now...........I hope to get responses from old and new friends!!! marg
#2 of 16 Old 11-19-2001, 12:27 PM

You don't know me but I have seen your name many times. Welcome back to America. May I ask what your husband does outside the home for work? Sounds exciting. Where are you living now and where was your favorite place you lived?
#3 of 16 Old 11-19-2001, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! Tripkehughes,
I live in Madison, Wi now. We have kept a house here for the last 12years. My husband works for a very large telecoms company. He doesn't want me to say the name. He worked for them in Indonesia from 95-98 and then Saudi Arabia form 98-now. He gets contracts within the country he is working in. He has never worked for them on America. We are pretty sure he won't be able to find telecoms work here. I am hoping he find work with his company somewhere in Asia or Europe. I love living overseas. My kids have always attended excellent international schools and are finding American schools to be VERY much lacking in many ways.
Thanks for your interest and I hope to hear from you again!! marg
#4 of 16 Old 11-19-2001, 03:00 PM

Hi Marg,
Welcome back to the States (such as they are these days!) I was on a "mothering.com" break for awhile but I remeber your posts in the teen forum as being very helpful. I look forward to "talking" with you about the fun and challenges of raising teens.
peggy
#5 of 16 Old 11-20-2001, 08:02 PM

Welcome back, Marg. We'll hold good thoughts for your husband til he's back safely with you.

America particularly needs people here who have been out in the world as much as you have.

Peace.

Joe
#6 of 16 Old 11-20-2001, 09:42 PM

Howdy M o A!

I'd thought I'd visit with you over here in the quiet teen forum. Again I want to say how glad I am that you and your family (sans dh) are safely home. It's just too risky these days, eh?

So much has happened since my computer got a virus and I was forced off line for two months while a friend fixed it all up. So many new names around here. I don't have much time to wander around and look for everyone (have only been back since yesterday).

The cancer stuff is going okay. I have refused chemo and am attacking this with aggressive nutritional therapies, chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, essential oils, Traditional Chinese Meds, herbs, supplements, juicing, vegan diet, prayer, laughter, love, and counseling. I go for blood work every three weeks and will return to Mayo for another CT scan and bloodwork in December. Just a follow-up look-see. I gotta beat this thing.

My girls are in the Nutcracker again this year since they are back in ballet and loving it. (we took two years off) so next week will be crazy and busy, but I'll check in and see if you've popped in for a chat.

peace, moondancer
#7 of 16 Old 11-21-2001, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like you are doing a great job beating this. My uncle found Chinese Meds to be very helpful. I think they work and on top of everthing else you are doing it is even better. I fully understand you not wanting chemo. Have you ever read anything about Suzanne Summers? She is using all kinds of alternatives to fight her breast cancer and they seem to be working. I am sure you know a lot more about all of this than anyone could!

I love ballet, tap and jazz. I want to look into lessons here for my oldest but her time is consumed with Bassoon and basketball. Maybe I could find a weekend class. I might start teaching her tapdancing. I know how and I taught it in Saudi to about 20 girls ages 5-10. I loved teaching dance and I wish I could again!! Your girls are lucky to be given the chance to dance. I think that going to dance lessons was one of my favorite childhood activities. It teaches them so much. You will love watching them perform in the Nutcracker!!

Well, I have to run now. I am waiting for a credit union to call me about a part time job. Wish me luck! marg
#8 of 16 Old 11-21-2001, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Peggy and Joe,

Thanks for your support. It was a hard decision we made about coming back.
Joe, you are SOOOO right. I wish more people had been to the Arab world. Most of the people there are wonderful. I do have some problems with the way Islam is abused in some countries. Being a muslim is a peacefull way of life. Islam is being corrupted and used for hate. Much the same as Christianity is used to justifiy murders here in the states or in places like Ireland. That doesn't make all Christian religions bad. THere are many ways of practicing Islam. THe finatics who have used it for murder are not really muslims in my mind. I have much to say on this but no time. I am happy that abuse against middle easterners seems to have eased up lately.
Thanks again, marg
#9 of 16 Old 11-25-2001, 02:46 AM

margaret~I'm so glad that you are back and you and your family is safe! You have such a wealth of information and gentle way about you.

moondancer~you are an amazing, strong women. glad you are keeping us posted. Enjoy the Nutcracker...I have such fond memories of being in it as a child and now my ds and I love dancing around the house to it!

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#10 of 16 Old 11-25-2001, 04:32 AM

Hey Marg!
You have been in my thoughts while the boards have been down. Glad to hear you guys made a move you seem happy with and are all ok. How is the school situation now that you are back?

We have been well here. We find Delhi to be a thoughtful place where we can muse with like-minded people. We just saw/heard Noam Chomsky a few weeks ago. Still catching as much music and cultural events as possible. Just returned from the Ajantha (buddhist carved and painted) caves down near bombay.

life is busy and I need to begin the preparations on our (late) Thanksgiving dinner!

Glad you are well.
Ginger
#11 of 16 Old 11-25-2001, 04:13 PM

zealsmom--we have friends in Dehli. They run the Dehli House which takes people off the streets--literally up outta the gutters--and takes them home to nurse them back to health or give them a dignified death. The director's name is Tonbaba and he's from Holland. I know Dehli is huge but ya never know who is connected to whom. It is a small world. I just thought it was worth a try to toss it out there for you.

peace, moondancer
#12 of 16 Old 11-25-2001, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am so happy to hear from you! Ginger. The last time we wrote I was so unsettled. Life in the USA is exciting. I am liking it. I have just finished decorating the house with all kinds of tacky Christmas lights. After 6 years in Muslim countries I have to GO WILD this year!!!!!!
Sounds like your family is thriving. My husband is looking EVERYWHERE for a new job. Who knows??? Maybe I will end up somewhere near you!!!!!!!
Marg
#13 of 16 Old 12-19-2001, 12:32 AM

hello hello, its me marymom, I posted a few times on the teen board in the old boards- welcome back to the USA- have fun with those lights-
peace man!
#14 of 16 Old 12-21-2001, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't been able to write here or at utopia. I have been training to be a parttime bank teller at our Univ. Credit Union. I am exhausted, have a cold , husband is home for 2 weeks, relatives visiting and kids home for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!!!!
thanks for your responses and when I go to parttime I will start writing again!!! marg
#15 of 16 Old 12-21-2001, 10:53 PM

BIG HUG MARG I know what you're going through! I was a part time bank teller for ahwlie. Your dogs must be barking!
I can't imagine adding all that to the "hub bub" you're experiencing.
Take a deep breath!

See you soon,
peggy
#16 of 16 Old 12-21-2001, 11:17 PM

Marg~

Sending you health & hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page