Mothering Forum banner

'Bully' (the game)

988 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  TheTruth 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anything about this video game? My DS gave it to a friend as a birthday present, (his dad took him gift shopping
I can't believe they got that

From what I understand, it takes place in a school and they 'shoot' the other students with slingshots
:

I found out that my DS played it with his friend late into the night, I'm so disgusted by these kind of things, desensitizing the children to violence like that (and on the heels of the Tech shooting
)

Thoughts anyone? My DS now has such an attitude towards me bc I told him how I felt about games like that. He is really being nasty, he tries so hard to fit in with friends who can do whatever they want. Most of his friends are wealthier that we are and he brings that up alot.
he's only 12.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd say that game is 'ok' for teenagers in homes that it is 'ok' for teenagers to watch R rated movies with parents or alone.

I haven't played the game myself but I read all the reviews and from what I understand is that you play a kid who is picked on in the beginning of the game and make your way up the ranks by picking on other kids.

Yeah, not the most stable platform for entertainment, but I would say it is much better than the blood and gore of Halo or Grand Theft Auto.

12 years old?.... would depend on the 12 year old and their maturity. If I thought my 12 year old could play the game without enacting it in real life then I wouldn't have an issue... But the game is rated T for Teen which means 13+.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
I think that's horrible!

Nothing like teaching kids they'll be picked on until they become the bully themselves.

8(
that's what I thought

My son is not picked on and he takes part in making fun of another little boy who is 'unpopular' I am revolted by that behavoir and don't want anything in his world that supports it.

#5 ·
i havent read any of the posts other than the first one.
My husband bought the game Bully and i soon thereafter banned it from our home. its not just shooting the other kids with slingshots, but many of the goals are to hurt other students at the school.
it is such a terrible game and i wouldnt reccomend ANYONE playing it, 12, 22, 92, no age. its a disgusting game and most CERTAINLY not ok for a 12y.o

and i am by NO means conservative, i usually dont beleive in "video games promote violence in children" but this one DOES!

#6 ·
I wouldn't give this game as a gift--most parents are strict with video games. If I were in your position belovedk, I might call the parents and tell them that you'd be willing to exchange the gift if they don't approve of the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshua View Post
I haven't played the game myself but I read all the reviews and from what I understand is that you play a kid who is picked on in the beginning of the game and make your way up the ranks by picking on other kids.
My impression is that you can also move up in the game by being nice to people of certain groups--do favors for the nerds then the nerds will be on your side, that type of thing. My 12yo has this game and it seems fine. I am actually not ok with R rated movies (unless I've seen it and know it's ok), but I'm pretty relaxed about video games.

I must be the only person on MDC with this opinion, but I'll share it now anyway. I think people can think abstractly. Humans have always told stories, and it doesn't necessarily mean they want to really do the things that happened in the stories. Shakespeare can write a play that involves killing, kids can play pirates, etc. It doesn't mean they are homicidal. Characters on video games can be representations of people, animals, aliens, balloons, whatever! it doesn't matter to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigeyes
Nothing like teaching kids they'll be picked on until they become the bully themselves.
Maybe my children are of above-average intelligence
but, I know my son doesn't take life-lessons from video games. He can watch The Lord of The Rings and play the video game and it doesn't make him want to go on quests IRL.

#7 ·
I've played the game. Honestly, it's a bad game. Not the content, it's just a BAD game. Getting way more publicity than it's worth only because of *some* of the content. The game is not all about running around and beating kids up. IIRC, certain goals of the game included making it to class on time, and passing each "class" which consists of a mini-game (english, for example, consisted of a jumble of letters, and having to create as many words from that as you could). I never did get being a "bully" in the game because school security would just come pick you up and you'd be "punished".

Anyways, I wouldn't buy it for anyone because there's many other high quality, age-appropriate games out there.

#8 ·
I get what you're saying sunny.

And I agree. If you know your kids and self regulate your kids games then that is great because you KNOW what YOUR kids can play.

I don't think I would let Jake play or see a game like this at 4 years old, he understand that what happens on TV is not what happens in OUR real life, but for some reason he thinks that those characters worlds really exist and they have lives when the TV goes off.

That is just what we pick up from talking to him about cartoon characters.

But in 8 years? I don't know, we'll have to see.

I don't nessesarily think that games like this should NOT be made. I just think that parents need to home regulate what games are brought into their house. If the friends parents were ok with it, then that works for their house. If it doesn't work for yours then it doesn't.

Dunno what to say on it, except I agree with Sunny

#9 ·
My son has talked about it but has yet to play it. (Or maybe he did play it at the store display? I can't recall just now.) Anyway, he'd read an article in Wired magazine, I think, and we discussed the controversy. I don't know if he'd buy it but he'd probably be happy to own it if it were given to him.

He owns GTA and such. I feel confident that he doesn't act out the things he sees in video games.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
I wouldn't give this game as a gift--most parents are strict with video games. If I were in your position belovedk, I might call the parents and tell them that you'd be willing to exchange the gift if they don't approve of the game.
actually, the mom emphatically thanked me!!!! I didn't know what it was at the time, X bought it so I just went along with her

Thanks for the differing viewpoints, it helps me to hear them. I don't want to get into a power struggle with DS if it is not necessary (actually, I don't want to be in one anyway)

I became relaxed about vid games when he showed such an interest in them but I have to draw the line somewhere.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
i havent read any of the posts other than the first one.
My husband bought the game Bully and i soon thereafter banned it from our home. its not just shooting the other kids with slingshots, but many of the goals are to hurt other students at the school.
it is such a terrible game and i wouldnt reccomend ANYONE playing it, 12, 22, 92, no age. its a disgusting game and most CERTAINLY not ok for a 12y.o

and i am by NO means conservative, i usually dont beleive in "video games promote violence in children" but this one DOES!
ITA. If it is not okay to simulate violence in a video game, why would it be okay to simulate school violence with the justification of being picked on? Sounds like Columbine and VTech in entertainment form.

#13 ·
Video games dont desensitise violence. Notice how in the games that there are real consequences? In a game like GTA if you kill someone you get the cops after you. Bully is about a kid who is kicked out of everywhere else and is sent to Bullworth. He is a bully but doesnt pick on those who cant defend themselves. He is often time a protector. "I want you to stop picking on wea kids"
What caused Columbine and Virginia Tech? Poor parenting and shitty treatment from classmates. Even in his church group Cho was picked on by the rich kids. Parents who use the damn tv sitter as a babysitter without making sure their kids are ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.