No cell phones at the party, please - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 04-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Was the study about cell phones and brain tumors debunked or am I being overly paranoid when I refuse to use the things for that reason?
No, it hasn't been, at least not that I've seen.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#62 of 71 Old 04-30-2007, 06:04 PM

Manitoba Mom said:

cell phone is a tool when it's being used as a tool (ie. to make a necessary phone call). It's a toy when it's being used:
- as a fashion accessory
- to sport charms and funky carrying cases
- to "wield power" by promoting one's socio-economic status
- to take or share photographs or videos
- to play games
- to text message your friends who are seated within arms reach
- as a social crutch to avoid interacting with a group you are part of
- as a conduit to impressing people with the fancy ringtone you downloaded
- to conduct lengthy social conversations for fun and amusement (and no, I'm not immune to "fun and amusement" with phones myself)

Exactly!!!! My 16.5 year old son uses this to communicate. It is a toy for my daughter-or more so a lot of her friends. It is an expensive toy and she left it at a frend's on Saturday. It will come in handy at volyball camp this summer but other than that, don't feel the maturity is there for unlimmited use.

I got off this trhead and the headline story in local paper (Gainesville, Fl.) was about cellphones and schools. One high shcool proncipla said they are just a fact of life.
The issue for me is the maturity level. I don't feel my 14 year old daughter needs unlimited use at this time. Sallie
#63 of 71 Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 PM

Don't forget who's in charge.

While it may be unreasonable to ask the kids to leave their cell phones at home, YOU can decide when and how they are to be used. Leave them at the door, set a time limit, whatever. Write a line in the invitation if you have to.

This party is for your daughter and her friends should abide by the rules of the house.
#64 of 71 Old 05-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitobaMom View Post
I guess cell phones must be a lot cheaper in the USA! Here, the most-common variants of plans will give you a free phone on a long-term contract (likely two years). But by the time you add up the monthly fee, the taxes, and the "system access fees" that are part of the fine print, it's an expense of about $30 every month.

Now I'm off to finish reading.....
#65 of 71 Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Ok I've finally read through all the responses and I have to wonder if this is a girl thing. My son can have a cell when he can afford to maintain a cell so until then he's stuck using the payphone or home phone.
I have a 15 yo DS and well I give him quarters to call home if he needs to get me (or he could call me collect too if in a bind) and I don't see him not having a cell phone as a safety risk. He has never been in a situation where he needed to get a hold of me and there wasn't a phone handy whether it be a home phone, payphone or someone else's cell...actually there have been times when he has called me on a friend's cell to pick him up when he could have used their home phone (I would have preferred that BTW) and I've asked him if it was costing anyone money to use the cell and both times I asked neither of them knew or really cared.
#66 of 71 Old 05-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitobaMom
I guess cell phones must be a lot cheaper in the USA! Here, the most-common variants of plans will give you a free phone on a long-term contract (likely two years). But by the time you add up the monthly fee, the taxes, and the "system access fees" that are part of the fine print, it's an expense of about $30 every month.
DH and I carry cell phones. Adding extra phones to our plan for the kids cost us nothing. The phones were even free. They share our minutes, which we never use all of anyway.
#67 of 71 Old 05-04-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMomX's2 View Post
I have a 15 yo DS and well I give him quarters to call home if he needs to get me (or he could call me collect too if in a bind) and I don't see him not having a cell phone as a safety risk.

Payphones are disappearing at a rapid rate. There are less than 50 percent of those that were found in 2000, today. There is no pay phone anymore at our public library or local movie theater, for example. My dd's need to call me on a cell to come pick them up.

Cell phones also allow my dd to get calls from me at a friends house at let's say 9:30 at night, without disturbing her friend's baby siblings.

We use a family plan and it cost us next to nothing extra for the girls phones.
#68 of 71 Old 05-04-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya44 View Post
Payphones are disappearing at a rapid rate. There are less than 50 percent of those that were found in 2000, today. There is no pay phone anymore at our public library or local movie theater, for example. My dd's need to call me on a cell to come pick them up.
That is true. I can't remember the last time I actually SAW a pay phone. Oh wait, I think there is one at the grocery store... Our third grade brownie troop was playing with it during cookie sales. There isn't one at the movie theater, nor is there one in the entire complex the movie theater is in.
#69 of 71 Old 05-05-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
That is true. I can't remember the last time I actually SAW a pay phone. Oh wait, I think there is one at the grocery store... Our third grade brownie troop was playing with it during cookie sales. There isn't one at the movie theater, nor is there one in the entire complex the movie theater is in.
And more often than not, they don't work.
#70 of 71 Old 05-12-2007, 01:31 PM

I remember getting lost once driving in the mountains. I remember passing a payphone on the way up, and I pointed it out to my dh, since this was a very rural area and the payphone kinda just stood out right there at the junction of the road. I stopped further up to ask someone for directions, and what do you know, he tells me to drive down to the payphone, pass it and make a turn further up. That about how rare payphones are here. And like lolar2 said, more often than not, they either don't work, or they have been vandalized in some form (like getting hit by a car and knocked over....don't ask!) So yea, I think a cell phone is very important.

As for cell phone usage at a party, if everyone was participating and having fun, I don't see the harm. Perhaps a gentle reminder to find something else to do, or a suggestion for another activity?

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#71 of 71 Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM

LOL Payphones aren't rare here so I have no worries....again in my house he can have a cell when he can pay for it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page