Concerned about dd friend's attire - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
meowee- do/would you say the same thing regarded being half-nude with your sons?
Of course!!
#62 of 63 Old 06-11-2007, 01:36 PM

I did my own thing through out school and I look back now at 30 yrs old, and am very thankful that my parents allowed me to figure out who I was without a lot of their hang ups about what I should and should not wear/look like.

I do not mean to offend, truly, but I am honestly shocked that anyone would think spaghetti straps or words on pants are a bad thing. I think that I dress pretty conservatively now days, and even I have a pair of shorts that say "Princess" on the butt (I got them from Disney World) and about a dozen spaghetti strap shirts/dresses in my dresser that I love. My DH just bought me a momento back from his business trip and it was... you guessed it... a spaghetti strap shirt with words across the chest (Texas...where the conference was)

A PP said that they think its wrong that its ok to wear something at 8 and 18 and no place in between, and I think thats 110% dead on. I encourage my children to respect other people, and that they all dress in their own ways, and not to judge people by how they dress, their ethnicity, their religion, etc but instead by the person themselves. My son wears what he is comfortable in, (he's 12) and my daughter will wear what she is comfortable in, when she gets old enough to choose. I think that (just my opinon) it is unhealthy to restrict a child's self expression, because I would rather my child learn who they are and experiment with fashion when I am there to help guide them, than go crazy when they turn 18 and are out on their own. Better to wear the "unusual" clothing in school and get the feedback from classmates (good and bad, that will help shape your choices) than get it on a job interview, ya know?
#63 of 63 Old 06-13-2007, 01:04 AM

I never knew that my spaghetti strap shirts and sweat/yoga pants were so damm sexy! Aw yeah!

Maybe it's because I was a figure skater, but i never thought twice about tight and/or strappy my shirts were in middle/high school. If it was hot, we wore tank tops.

I would be way more worried about miniskirts with no pants or tights, myself. But as a teen I also would have, had my mom told me not to wear them, immediately put a miniskirt in my backpack to change into at school the next day, FWIW.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page