Little Boys and Masturbation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 4 and he loves his penis! That being said, he hasn't actually figured out how to masturbate...he will just touch his penis a lot etc

My friend's DS started masturbating at 18months old. And does it a lot.
And is now 2.5

I know kids are all totally different, but does anyone with boys have any experience with this? What age do they usually start doing this?

Since my DS is 4 and hasn't done that yet, it sorta raised a red flag for me that such a young child (18 MO) would understand how to do that, KWIM?

But I have one child to compare it too, so I really don;t know what I am talking about. I am hoping I will get some responses that will put my mind at ease.
#2 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 03:16 PM

I think small boys usually think it's pretty cool to have this body part to play with. To be honest. They will yank, twist, poke, etc their little penis just for fun. I doubt they get anything sexual from it or actually do what the big guys do!! I think any age is prime to play with it. When my DS2 was about 3, that thing became his favorite toy, lol. It's normal!!!

Mommy to ds12, dd11, ds8, ds6, dd4, ^dd^ HB Loss, and dd 1
#3 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 03:17 PM

To the OP; My nephew is two and a half and hasn't figured out masturbation yet. I don't think it's a developmental milestone that's got an age attached to it, though

I might be concerned that an 18 mo had that knowledge, too, though.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#4 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 02:28 AM

both of my birth boys (4.5y and 1y) discovered their penis's at about 8mo, i guess...neither one of them masturbate (at least not to ejaculation), but they do play with their penis's often...humping the bed, rubbing, pulling, tugging, etc...its all very normal...

peace...

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#5 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 02:32 AM

I have a 9 yr old and a 2.5 yr old. My 9 yr old "discovered" his penis pretty much around 2 yrs old...he pulled/tugged/played with. I'm not sure if he's actually masturbating, but I think not yet. We've talked about masturbation and wet dreams and all that but he seems pretty disinterested. My 2.5 yr old will not touch his penis because he thinks it "hurts" when it gets engorged. I believe this is old trauma because he had to go to the ER when he was around 18 mo-2 yrs and the nurse retracted him (while catheterizing) before I could stop her and since then, even changing diapers he tells me not to touch his penis and is very uncomfortable even with me wiping it.

I would be concerned if an 18 mo old was actually masturbating and not just tugging/pulling, etc....
#6 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 03:32 PM

I don't think it really falls under "Masturbation".

But, some kids play with it more than others. Some kids can't fall asleep without it in their hands. It is a very cool little appendage.

There really isn't anyting wrong with doing it, but socially it can be a problem. Hand holding games like Ring around the rosie make that kid really unpopular. (kinda like a nose picker) It bothers some people more than others.

I say as long as he doesn't walk around everywhere with his hands in his pants, and washes his hands a little more often, then it's no big deal. But, if he can't even stand in line to wait for his ice cream without sticking his hands in his pants, it might be time to break the habit.

Otherwise, it is his to play with whenever he wants.
#7 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I really wouldn't consider it full on masterbation at such an early age. My son started really noticing his penis when he was about 2 or so and really, really notices it now at 3. I have a friend though who anytime she would pull off her son's diaper, starting at about a year, her son would immediatly grab hold of it and start pulling...... I would cringe because it looked painful to me! I don't think there is any reason to be concerned with a 18 month old discovering his penis and trying to play with it... sounds normal to me.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#8 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 PM

A four-year-old child is not capable of ejaculating, and touching his genitals is not a sexual act, simply a pleasurable sensation. I guess I don't know what you mean by figuring out "how to masturbate." I wouldn't worry about it.
#9 of 10 Old 06-27-2007, 03:34 PM

I wouldn't worry about it either. At that age they aren't really "masturbating" in the way that a child in puberty would. It's normal for them to explore their genitals.
#10 of 10 Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 AM

My boys all played with their penis' in one way or the other. My oldest would play with it like girls do with a strand of hair (twirl around his finger), the two middle boys explored normally, but nothing funny. My2nd twin discovered lately that there was *something* hidden in there and is having a blast retracting the foreskin and making it get big "like daddies"

Mama to 5 boys, F (13), J(11), R&X (8), L (2) and growing baby 6 due in Feb 11!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page