"Classic" teenager ?!.. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
LOL The young man (and his parents) was made to understand very clearly that the one kid he did not want to mess with was mine. 'Cause his momma WILL bring the crazy down on him.
mtiger mama, I predict your son will have no more problems with that kid.
#32 of 43 Old 07-26-2007, 07:08 AM

Bestbirths, Thanks for supporting me!!!!! We have been struggling all year with the pressure to be older,date,etc.etc. (She turned 14 in April)This week has acutally been a breath of fresh air as she has not returned any of the calls from the kids who are into this, or gotten on my Space, IM. She spent the night last night with a friend of hers she has known since age 4. They went swimming and are going tubing today. I took her to the gym on Monday -she is staying in condition to play volleyball. She went to an open gym Tuesday night for volleyball. She played Sims and caught up on her sleep. She wants to see Harry Potter tomorrow night.She will play indoor soccer tonight. She is very active and very creative!!!!!!
I have taught in high schools and colleges and subbed at all grade levels. I in no means want to trash ,be negative about anyone elses choices. I was trying to express where I am at and what is honestly going on currently with myself and my 14 year old daughter.
Sallie
#33 of 43 Old 07-26-2007, 07:17 AM

About the emo/cutting stuff: Honestly, I am tired of it!!!! My daughter is full of joy and life and attracts a lot of kids from very sad circumstances. This started intensely a few yesrs ago when a girl she had known since they were babies opened up to her about abuse/cutting herself. The whole church got dragged into it. My daughter was 12 at the time and that was the first I had heard about cutting,etc. Since then, it appears to be a fad. I let her express herself but try to keep her away from this really heavy stuff-I see it as really negative and dark and the kids she knows that are super into are from abusive homes. I encourage her to relate to many many types of people, always have,that is the way I am and she is too.
This summer I was taking a few teens bluberry picking and to the springs and a song about cutting oneself,glorifying this came on-I said at the end of this, I am listing to XM radio. I will not allow that in my car again.

Sallie
#34 of 43 Old 07-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
I'll admit that I know very little about emo these days. However, as someone who used to cut, I can assure you that that behavior is almost always done from depression, and almost never from social pressure. People have these weird ideas about cutters, and most are absolutely untrue.

I promise to not highjack the thread anymore.
yes and no. a person isn't going to cut just becuase their friends are cutting since it is in response to depression/emotional pain. however, like with eds, these are coping behaviors that can be encoruaged by friends.

I was alwasy borderline ed. Had I had a group of friends with eds, it probably would have pushed me over the line

But, no, I wouldn't worry just because my child went emo and either way (emo or no), I'd keep very open lines of communication
#35 of 43 Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
She asked for a ride to the mall, and when we got there, she asked not to come into the store with her.

I

We don't get into the emo, or punk stuff. But she does politley ask me not to go in with her.

At least she's polite.

Like, *I* would embarrass her.
#36 of 43 Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
DD says that punks dress emo, and many emos are involved in cutting themselves as a part of their culture. Something to be aware of. I do not know if that is true but that's what she told me.
I asked my daughter and she said the exact same thing.

There was a boy she knew in her class last year who was "emo" and would come to school with cuts on his arms. He'd wear wrist bands to hide it and tell her he was depressed and would cut himself.

My daughter does know that cutting can be with anyone who is not emo and that not all emo's do cut but it does seem to be associated.
#37 of 43 Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, my son just turned 12, so he's not into emo and whatnot yet, but I did walk him to his first school dance last month (parents were required to drop the kids off and pck them up) and he took me aside about two blocks away and gave me some rules- don't talk to him besides saying goodbye, don't smile too big or tell him I love him, don't talk to or look at any of his friends, etc. I was trying SO hard not to just bust out laughing.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#38 of 43 Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 PM

My brother is Emo... He is a very good happy kid.. not a cutter at all.

I get really upset when people liken emos to something negitive like cutting.

A cutter is a person with a problem.. depression whatever.. and emo is a person who made fashion/lifestyle choice.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#39 of 43 Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM

"says that punks dress emo, and many emos are involved in cutting themselves"
NOT ALL EMOS CUT!!!!!!! Yes SOME of them do but thats not the point of being emo, and certainly not to be taken lightly!!!! Any time someone cuts its NOT TO BE PART OF A GROUP!!!!!!!!!! Most of the time its cause you feel like the WORLD HATES YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE THEY WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This the reason I CUT. I'm Sorry if this sounds mean but ANY time I CUT I'm screaming in side for HELP!!!!!! If someone said o its just a part of the culture I would feel even more alone!!!! That's when your pain drives you to END IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In closing I will say this. As someone that still struggles with cutting ANY time someone tells you or you discover they are cutting. DON'T TAKE IT AS JUST ANOTHER PHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAUSE IT AIN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY NEED HELP RIGHT AWAY!! YOU WILL BE SAVING A LIFE!
#40 of 43 Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

mnwildfans1-

If you want help, you should explore what services might be available in your area...
#41 of 43 Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 PM

would you say she is more emo or scene kid? http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Scene+Kid
My daughter is sort of into the scene kid thing, but sometimes she just dresses preppie in Hollister, Abercrombie or Aero. Yesterday, she had on neon pink leggings (mid calf) with a denim pleated mini skirt and a neon pink b belt that had white and black studs on it. Her shirt was black with neon colored circles, hearts and lightning bolts. Her hair had a small neon pink bow in it (she wears side bangs) and she had on black and pink converse sneakers. Her fingernails are often black, lime green, neon pink or some variation of all of those! She also loves dinosaurs, robots and stuff like that. She is however, not emo. Nor is she gay or bisexual like the thing said, not into death or dark stuff. She just loves the look, and likes to be a little different. Most of the girls at her school are preps.
#42 of 43 Old 04-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned

Just in case people find this thread strangely familiar, it is from last year.
#43 of 43 Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM

LOL, I didn't even look at the date.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page