Why do kids 'need' cell phones??? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 160 Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that most kids DO have them and the novelty should have worn off but yet it's still happening!

Anyhoo, I just wanted to throw that one point in as food for thought but honestly after reading all of the posts I guess *my* cell *issue* isn't really what this thread is about....I should have started my own thread about the dangers of kids walking around with expensive electronics not just cells.

Cheers!
#152 of 160 Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Buying kids expensive cells is a different issue. I really don't think I need to worry about someone stealing a $24.99 TracFone.

At the end of the day, for some parents/families, it is a luxury. For some it is a nice thing to have. For others it is a necessity. Why we need to judge the decisions of others regarding their family's needs (or lack of them) is beyond me.
#153 of 160 Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Was it Sex and The City where a woman's Jimmy Choos were stolen? The robber told her to take off her shoes at gunpoint and she says "Oh but they are my favorites!"

What I am saying, and this thread is making me even more punchy, is that anything can be stolen. Maybe kids should wear uniforms to school (that old can of worms ) and white no -name tennis shoes (no Jimmy CHoos for you!) Then there would be nothing worth stealing, right?
#154 of 160 Old 09-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Maybe kids should wear uniforms to school (that old can of worms ) and white no -name tennis shoes (no Jimmy CHoos for you!) Then there would be nothing worth stealing, right?
Ohhhh you are so right, absolutely uniforms and nondescript shoes would prevent everything BUT the uniforms would be ALL THE TIME not just at school.:nana:

Sorry my posts urked you. I was just posting my thoughts which I recognized didn't really fit into this thread but I had already posted so the damage was already done.
#155 of 160 Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <~*MamaRose*~> View Post
Sorry my posts urked you.
No need to apologize for something that never happened.
#156 of 160 Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Perhaps this is slightly off-topic, but it is related.
My mom is an elementary school teacher (5th and 6th grade is what she is currently teaching).
The school district she works for has a rule that no electronics can be brought to school including i-pods, cellphones, MP3's, etc. (I honestly don't know what all the personal electronics are.)
The two reasons are:
1) They are a distraction in class.
2) They encourage theft.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#157 of 160 Old 09-12-2007, 04:54 PM

My son needs a cell phone because he goes on long training rides on his bicycle and may be miles away from home with a mechanical he can't fix with his small tool bag. If this were not the case, he wouldn't have one.
#158 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Deleted by user.
#159 of 160 Old 09-22-2007, 02:55 AM

My ds is seven and got a cell phone for his bday (he will soon be 8)...I am trying to teach him the responsibility of it NOW so that when the time comes he will be used to having it. I got him a kid phone that has all sorts of restrictions and when he is old enough I can turn on the Chaperone feature (basically a GPS locater so I can monitor where he is).
I didn't have a cell phone until my mid twenties....they just weren't practical or affordable at the time....I did however have a pager....
I guess ds doesn't "need" a cell phone...but he has one just the same.

True Love is here....to stay!
#160 of 160 Old 09-25-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenangelcat View Post
Studies show that they actually make them less safe because parents are given a false sense of security with them. A cell isn't going to stop your kid from getting raped and/or murdered. That phone will be meaningless in that type of situation. It likely won't even make it to the getaway car.

I think it's definitely a personal choice for what works for your family but nobody should believe that a cell is going to protect their child because it's not.
I agree with this.

I am not against kids having phones and can definitely see where they come in handy especially if you live in a large city and your child has a lot of freedom or you are a single parent or you SO travels a lot.
However, I don't think they make kids safer and do feel they can give parents that false security.
I think back to things that happened to me as a teenager (raped at 14) and I know even if I had a phone, it wouldn't have done any good.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page