What is so bad about paying for grades? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-21-2003, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen a lot of negative feed back about paying for grades. I was just wondering...what is the down side of it?
#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2003, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
What is the up side?

The down side is that the child is learning:
a. to get good grades in order to get a reward, because doing good schoolwork apparently is not worthwhile in itself;
b. to be motivated by money instead of by a sense of responsibility for completing the tasks assigned;
c. to strive for a particular grade instead of for the best possible understanding of the subject matter;
d. that if she has plenty of money on hand at the moment, there is no point in working hard at school.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2003, 01:55 PM

This is only my opinion and what we have done regarding our kids.

Their education is their own. It is not ours. We have always unschooled until just this year. We have felt that what and when they learn something is up to them. Their reward fo r learning something comes form somehwere inside.

I have alwasy felt it was much more important to help them establish their own love for knowlege, then to make sure they made a certain grade.

This has worked for us,

Granolamom
#4 of 8 Old 07-22-2003, 02:10 PM

I want my children to experience the intrinsic value of working hard to master new subjects, and feeling the pride and sense of accomplishment that comes with gaining new knowledge. Education is it's own reward...truly!
#5 of 8 Old 07-24-2003, 01:18 PM

What's wrong with paying for grades?

Nothing at all if your children go to an Industrial Age Education Model School (99.99% of institutions in the US) where children do not have the right to choose when and what to study. And I applaud parents who, on finding themselves and their children trapped in the "machine", have the courage to take such initiatives to spice up the drudgery and (many-times) pointlessness of the pseudo-academic school curriculum.

By paying the children, they will learn some valuable life skills. Let's look at some with the help of EnviroBecca.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnviroBecca
What is the up side?

The down side is that the child is learning:

a. to get good grades in order to get a reward, because doing good schoolwork apparently is not worthwhile in itself;
Well, that is very probably true. So no harm there then.

Quote:

b. to be motivated by money instead of by a sense of responsibility for completing the tasks assigned;
Well, bloody stone the crows mate! What's wrong with that? I cannot think of a man (or woman) alive that has not got some sense of the value of their time, even for menial labour (such as school work)! Who in their adult life works on a project they are not interested in "by a sense of responsibility for completing the tasks assigned"? Not me, nor anyone I know. We all ask for one thing. Money.

Secondly, for a true sense of responsibility, the task must be taken on volunterily by the student, not thrust upon them with the undercurrent of threat by those in power. Any such threatening situation, however subtle, smeared with the lie named "responsibility" is infinitely more underhand and detrimental to the social development of a child or young adult than motivating them by something like money.

Quote:

c. to strive for a particular grade instead of for the best possible understanding of the subject matter;
And there lies another fault in the Industrial Age Education Model. That it cannot distinguish between those that truly understand the material, and those that regurgitate it.

Nothing new here then! MOST students from K-Uni learn to "get by". That is the nature of the Industrial Age Education Model. If you want to get rid of the fact that people behave like that, scrap the current "compulsery" nature of the system, and allow children to persue what interests them.

Quote:

d. that if she has plenty of money on hand at the moment, there is no point in working hard at school.
That's right. And a real life lesson is learned early. Once you have worked to gain enough money, one's energies are then better spent on one's quality of life.

Of course, if you are unschooling, or sending your children to a Democratic School (like The Windsor School in Canada, or Sudbury Valley School in MA), then you are wasting your money and your child's time. Better to just hand over the money if they can justify it.

Hope this helps.

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#6 of 8 Old 07-25-2003, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If my dd goes to school at a typical American school that gives letter grades, I intend to pay. I don't see anything wrong with it - if she enjoys school she won't be motivated only by money, and if she doesn't enjoy school, she shouldn't be there in the first place!

If I do well at work I expect to get a raise, and very often that is what I get. School is a child's job (for those of us who choose to send our children to school) and a job well done should be rewarded. Of course, there are other ways to do this besides money. But how would you like it if your boss said to you "We don't give raises here because we don't want our employees to be money-driven"?

Also, I intend to pay for C's as well. In the school world a "C" is an average grade and I think average is just great! It shouldn't be punished or seen as something bad. I think kids are pushed too hard as it is and a little average-quality work can be good for them.

Again, if a child only wants to do well in school because they are getting paid, I think they are in the wrong school. Just like if an adult only likes her job for the money, she's probably in the wrong job.
#7 of 8 Old 07-26-2003, 01:23 PM

Well done you!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#8 of 8 Old 07-26-2003, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Also, I intend to pay for C's as well. In the school world a "C" is an average grade and I think average is just great! It shouldn't be punished or seen as something bad. I think kids are pushed too hard as it is and a little average-quality work can be good for them
Actually, thanks to grade inflation nowawdays, a B is more average than a C. When I was a teacher, if I had given the majority of my student's a C, I would have had parents complaining left and right.

The principal where my husband teaches, told him, that when givining a test, the average grade should be around a B.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page