Gifts for Teens? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What gifts are on the list for your pre-teen and teenagers this holiday season? I am really struggling with DS2-12 years old. Every year he asks for toys and science kits (CSI stuff last year) but he NEVER plays with them. Both boys are getting to that 'hard to buy' age. DS1 has asked for an ipod alarm clock which I think is a great gift for him but his birthday is December 30 so we need more ideas. Any suggestions? What are you getting your kids?

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 PM

My teenage boys want a new game system, with games of course, and a weight bench for Christmas. I was hoping to spend less this year. I'll be watching this thread!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:38 PM

:

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 10-30-2007, 03:57 PM

iTunes gift certificate, since she got a new ipod for her birthday this year. World of Warcraft trading card game loot cards for items you can get in the video game. I know she will like that.

Books also probably from her Amazon wishlist.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Cash!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 AM

Really the only thing I can get for dd are gift certificates. I-tunes as mentioned, and then some to her favorite book store and clothes store. I sometimes go out on a limb and pick out some earrings or a tube of lip gloss, but that's about it. One year, I bought her a dozen or so "important books that everyone should read." I ended up re-reading them myself, so they didn't go entirely to waste. Occasionally she'll ask for something specific, like a certain video game or cd, but she doesn't trust my taste.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 AM
DBZ

:

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM

My teen wants a digital camera. He also wants stuff for his drum kit and some graphic t-shirts.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

Old 10-31-2007, 02:37 PM

My 16 yo son wants the Stargate SG1 DVD collection and weights. My 18 yo son only wants cash to go towards the laptop he's saving up for. My 13 yo daughter wants a stereo system for her room, jewelery, Anime stuff, and gift cards for clothes. They all 3 belong to online game sites and always want subscription renewals for those, certain games for their Playstation and Nintendo (I never try to choose those myself those unless I have specific instructions), and they appreciate DVD's like The Return of the Pink Panther.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:26 PM

Gift cards.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM

CDs, iPod accessories, just about anything from Hot Topic, flannel PJ pants (it's all he wears to school in the winter, he hates jeans), converse high tops and maybe a game for the PS2 he just bought himself.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM

My 12yr old DD wants a digital camera too. She also keeps mentioning how much she loves the Arctic Monkeys so I'm guessing she'd like their CD too
Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Every year I try to straddle my values which is bascially non-materilistic/non com sumpiton vsw. fujn stuff. We are currently very high tech. My daugter (14) has lost several digital camers. I want to come up with a reasonable budget with fun interactive paritpatory stuff. They have computers, Ipods,Satellite TV,etc. I uslly try to get books,games,art stuff,stuff related to intersts and some stuff outside of popular culture stuff.
Mu son is 17 and into cars,paintballing,and computer gaming. My guahter loves music, photography. I may get her another digital camera but not that expensive of one . Like yestersy, I replaced her cell phone that was brlen ,then lost with an inexpesnive cell phone and she was upset. I just want o be reaslitc.
Gifts are a part of the holidays but don't eant them to be strictly a starus stamenet, I want them to be thoughtful and life participartory oriented.
So, the chlalnge is to come up with a realitic budget and then some fun creative stuff. Sallie
Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Gift cards, iTunes cards, cash. I have told them that I'd like for them to make out a list for grandparents. I know my Mom has fun getting and wrapping gifts for the kids, plus I don't want my kids to be so "show me the money". What I've really been trying to concentrate on with them is how lucky they are to have what they do (loving parents, family, shelter...). We have been collecting unused, unneeded items and clothes to take to a local women's shelter. I'll expect them to do this once a month or so. Helps keep down on the clutter, too!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 PM

The girls got their large gift from Oma (mil) last week. They each got a very basic and on sale laptop. So we'll probably get them complementary items, a small dig cam, maybe a membership online. The last couple years have been difficult, it seems even when they have gotten what the 'really wanted', they haven't really wanted it kwim? (we have many sci &craft gifts that were never played with) We have discussed that as they are getting older and wanting larger $ items, there will not be the full tree action they remember from years past. I will make them some stuff too- pj's, hats/mittens and maybe a couple of babydoll shirts (I've been informed 'they are SO in' hehe).

I have to admit that when it comes to the holidays, its me that has an issue. I love getting stuff for them and have to remind myself that my idea of cool and theirs isn't exactly the same anymore
Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM

Keri, do you have sports centers nearby? Or "youth-geared" gyms? Day passes to places like that are usually a hit. Also, movie passes or video rental certificates.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 PM

This is really a gift for a girl, but I am really really excited about this one. Perhaps it might help someone who is shopping for a teen girl.

My niece is very into fashion design. She is turning 13 this Dec. She prints Archie dolls off the internet and designs clothes for them and so on. Very creative girl. Her favorite show is PROJECT RUNWAY and she dressed as a Harajuku girl for Halloween.

I was looking at those fashion design kits and they are all too young for her (basically tracing stencils and colored pencils which she's way beyond).

Then I found this book:
Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt
http://www.amazon.com/Generation-T-W...5422834&sr=8-1

It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does I plan to flip through it and find out what materials are used and buy some of them as well. Maybe even shop at goodwill for a few small sized shirts for her to practice with.

I think its going to be a lot of fun for a budding fashion designer, and a third of the projects do not require any sewing. (She doesn't have a sewing machine yet, but may get one).

The reviews said that it was perfect for a beginner.

I can't wait to give it to her!
XOXOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 PM

My ds will be 12 on Dec 14th. For his bday I am getting him Godiva chocolate--this is becoming a tradition as he's a HUGE chocolate fan. My mom is getting him a TI graphing calculator. For Solstice I'm getting him:

An Atari Flashback 2 (he loves retro gaming)
Cube World cubes
A CD player with some CD's
A shirt that says "WORLD PEACE PLEASE"
Most likely some books
Old 11-19-2007, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 14yo will be fifteen just before Solstice. She's getting the newest HP book on CD, a case for her mp3 player, and maybe speakers, too (the player is h aving issues, so this is a maybe), some clothes, and a few books I picked up that I think she'll like.

12 yo is getting an art easel with lots of paints and brushes, some clothes, books, a doorway puppet theatre, and miniature dollhouse accessories (like tiny cloth napkins, candles, etc).

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 AM

My kids love getting giftcards.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:12 AM

Giftcards are a sure thing for a picky teen or preteen, I'm coming to realize that...

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 11-24-2007, 01:27 AM

Dss is getting the Heroscape board game (seems like WoW without computer), some clothes and maybe this:
http://www.amazon.com/Defender-Duel-...874755&sr=8-33

Dh is really excited about that one.

Lst year I got him a toolbox filled with nice art supplies. He liked that. Those skateboards with only two wheels look popular around here.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Skelanimals stuff for DSD who is 14
I ordered a bunch of plush animals, a celndar, and a notebook.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My ds is extremely hard to buy for. I told him this year its non tree action as I have spent a LOT on just two items for him:
A computer(basic but still)
1/4 pipe skate ramp(nice wooden one too)
4 shirts from CCS(skate shop)
and then boxers, socks, and a deoderant set

his dad and them bought him so far
indoor helicopter thingy
games for his ps3 including guitar hero
ipod(his old one was a cheap knock off)
and a goldfish!

ds birthday is in january so i went ahead and bought him a digital camera in the sales yeterday it will be his bday present though, he has been dying for one.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM

Oh, yeah my parents are getting dss a camcorder because he likes to make skateboarding movies. Target/Walmart have had several in the 50-100 dollar range.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM

My boyfriend's 14 yo daughter wants Apple gift cards so she can get an iPhone. She also wants cute rain boots. And I might sew another bag for her, even though she's a bit difficult lately.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 AM

gift cards including itunes and Borders
LunaStix- saw these at the Renaissance (sp?) Faire and he really enjoyed them there and has talked about them a few times since
New arrows for his bow
wii Play and a Mario game
Glow in the Dark Bocce set
the new LIFE game

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They are still thinking on it a bit.

Currently it looks like Ds mostly wants money, maybe some gift cards, and video game maybe. I plan to get him some fun odds n ends to open as well.

Dd wants some merchandise from her fave bands, bedroom accesories, a new belt, and...?

Board or card games we all can play are good. We are thinking about DDR.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
This is really a gift for a girl, but I am really really excited about this one. Perhaps it might help someone who is shopping for a teen girl.

My niece is very into fashion design. She is turning 13 this Dec. She prints Archie dolls off the internet and designs clothes for them and so on. Very creative girl. Her favorite show is PROJECT RUNWAY and she dressed as a Harajuku girl for Halloween.

I was looking at those fashion design kits and they are all too young for her (basically tracing stencils and colored pencils which she's way beyond).

Then I found this book:
Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt
http://www.amazon.com/Generation-T-W...5422834&sr=8-1

It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does I plan to flip through it and find out what materials are used and buy some of them as well. Maybe even shop at goodwill for a few small sized shirts for her to practice with.

I think its going to be a lot of fun for a budding fashion designer, and a third of the projects do not require any sewing. (She doesn't have a sewing machine yet, but may get one).

The reviews said that it was perfect for a beginner.

I can't wait to give it to her!
XOXOXO
B
Sounds like a perfect gift. Thanks!

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 PM

My 15 yr old has asked for a certain DVD and a cetain DS game. My 14 yer old has asked for an Ipod and candy-- the Ipod is a silver one that is $150. We'll get that with our money, & my MIL will contribute. It's all he wants, so I can't see saying no, esp as my MIL gives us money for gifts each yr. My 18 yr old wants slippers, but I will also buy him a winter coat. I also ought him a book I know he'll love. I'll get the other teens some shampoos, chapstick, socks, gel, candy, socks, undies etc etc. The 8 yr old has nothing on her list but one sutffed animal, but that is an issue for The Childhood board. I am planning on getting several Playmobil items that i know she will love.

User Tag List