12 yr old son broke big screen tv- WWYD? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I second the insurance coverage idea.

I'm a little upset at your original post and how you didn't mention it was an accident. : If I hadn't read more of the thread, I wouldn't have known that. Suggesting solutions for an accident is far different than suggesting solutions for something he did purposely.

The Wii is a known disaster (I don't have a Wii, OR cable TV, and I know about it!!). The odds are pretty good that your relatives (the one with the broken TV) already knew about that. Did their remote have a strap? If not, why havn't they followed through with the recall (issued by Nintendo) and gotten one? If it did have a strap, you need to write to Nintendo about it still being a problem.

The other thing is -- half the cost of a broken big screen TV is overwhelming for ME; I can't imagine you making your 12 year old cover half of that!! Maybe $100/$200...but you're talkin' like $500, maybe more!! That's going to take him a very long time to come up with!!!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 PM

hate to be a bugger, but where is the homeowners responsibility? To not have them claim it because their premiums will go up is outrageous. That is why they have insurance, so when teenegers come over and play games with a known history of just this type of accident in front of their oversized television and the accident DOES happen, then they can get their money back. Split the deductable. Sorry, but your relative knew the risk. I think its HIS lesson to learn.

Your son sounds like a wonderful, stand-up young person who doesn't deserve to be screwed because of a premium increase.

sorry, but its a bit disturbing that the relative is so, well.................

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
hate to be a bugger, but where is the homeowners responsibility? To not have them claim it because their premiums will go up is outrageous. That is why they have insurance, so when teenegers come over and play games with a known history of just this type of accident in front of their oversized television and the accident DOES happen, then they can get their money back. Split the deductable. Sorry, but your relative knew the risk. I think its HIS lesson to learn.

Your son sounds like a wonderful, stand-up young person who doesn't deserve to be screwed because of a premium increase.

:
Old 11-10-2007, 10:08 AM

didnt read all of the replies...but did they have the replacement strap for the controller? they had this happening and had a replacement thing.. i was going to say maybe it wasnt his fault at all. not that i think it was, but i mean so maybe he wouldnt ne thinking "if i hadnt swung it as hard" or something, kwim?

i dont know what i would do, though because wow, a 60" tv is expensive!! yikes!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post

I don't see where anyone is getting screwed here.....
if it were my tv accidentally broken in this situation I would not ask the child and his family to foot the entire repair bill
BUT
no way would I submit a claim for that and risk increased rates and possible non renewal if I had a more serious claim (sorry I don't consider a broken tv serious). My neighbor was dropped after two relatively small claims....and being dropped is the kiss of death....no way would I risk it or ask anyone else to. Claims stay on your record for 5-7 years I think....just like a credit report and it follows you...other insurance companies will know your claims.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 AM

I am standing by the 'known risk' statement, however unpopular. If the owner of the ginormous tv doesn't want it to fall under his insurance, he should reduce the risk involved.

Knowing he has insurance, if I were the OP, I would ask his deductible and offer to have my son pay for his half (?) of the responsibility. Whether the relative claims it or not.

I do want to say again how impressed I am with the maturity of this young person. OP, you have obviously raised a wonderful person.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Bellejar;9644727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hoffman View Post
Do you or the other family have home owner's insurance? That covers accidents like this. Then you and your son would only have to cover the deductable...

Their insurance premiums would go up if they filed a claim. I would feel bad asking.
I would just like to underscore the "your" homeowner's insurance. Our policy provides for $2,000 coverage with zero deductible, if we or any of our dependents accidentally damage someone else's property. Yes, we would have a claim on our file and lose our claims-free discount of 15% for 3 or 5 years (can't quite remember). It would be important to calculate how much the increased premiums will cost you over the next several years versus just repairing the TV without a claim (and, as someone else mentioned, considering what would happen if you had a second, unrelated, claim in the next while).

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenmommy View Post
Our 12 yr old ds broke another family member's 60 in big screen tv at a family gathering. He was playing video games w/ his 6 yr old cousin and he hit the screen w/ a game controller.

He feels horrible about it, and we assured him that we understand it was an accident. However, we (his dad and I) need to replace (or repair, depending upon the extent of the damages) the tv immediately and we'll need to find money from savings to try and do this.

This happened last nite and we said we could talk about it after school today, as it was emotional last night when this happened. I think we should have him do extra jobs around our house to help earn money, and he has about $100 in his savings account that he was saving for a gaming system of the same type! We're also thinking that he should stay away from video games on the computer until he's earned enough to replace or repair this relative's tv.

He can still use the computer for school work and email, just not video games. What experiences/ideas can anyone else share?
I think your plan makes sense. You're having the consequence fit the offense as well as possible given that he's 12. I'm glad you're doing that. I don't really have much to add beyond that.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oonah View Post
I don't see where anyone is getting screwed here.....
if it were my tv accidentally broken in this situation I would not ask the child and his family to foot the entire repair bill
BUT
no way would I submit a claim for that and risk increased rates and possible non renewal if I had a more serious claim (sorry I don't consider a broken tv serious). My neighbor was dropped after two relatively small claims....and being dropped is the kiss of death....no way would I risk it or ask anyone else to. Claims stay on your record for 5-7 years I think....just like a credit report and it follows you...other insurance companies will know your claims.
I had an accident this week, where I put my car in neutral instead of park and it rolled into our garage door. I am not reporting this to my homeowners. It will be about $1300 out of pocket - because I am worried about nonrenewal. Insurance companies suck. No doubt about it.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
I think your plan makes sense. You're having the consequence fit the offense as well as possible given that he's 12. I'm glad you're doing that. I don't really have much to add beyond that.

: : :

But it was an ACCIDENT....that's why I said it needed to be specified in the original post that it wasn't on purpose. Why punish for something he didn't do on purpose?? He needs to help repair the damage (because accidents happen and it's best for him to be prepared for that possibility in life and figure out what he's going to do about it); but on the same token, the owner of the TV needs to bear more responsability. I think your family is responsible for half the cost; and they're responsible for the rest. Like I said, they had to know about the 'dangers' of the Wii; and they should have acted accordingly.

If he threw something at the TV on purpose; it would be different.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:47 PM

and since there IS insurance.......half the cost should equate to half the deductible! A child should not have to pay half the price of such a luxury that holds insurance.

Really, if his premiums go up maybe he will learn a lesson.......maybe a board game would be more fun for all?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think his responsibility is the amount of the deductible. If they choose not to claim it because it's not in their best interest, that's their choice, but I don't think it's fair to make him pay it all because they don't want to use an available means of paying the rest.

User Tag List