Non talkative 11DD-how to communicate? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, I cant believe she's 11.

Im trying to figure out how to improve communication with my 11 year old daughter who always seems to have everything under control, goes with the flow, and gets the short end of the stick in attention because of her "attention sucking" younger siblings. BTW, she's always content and happy, just doesnt share much about herself, school, friends etc...

Ive realized lately that we barely spend quality time with her and when we do she hardly talks. Any advice? Games? Activities? Books on the topic?

I was like her as a child but my parents never tried communicating either. I really dont want to loose touch with her.

Thanks!

Mamita to DD12 and DD9 :,
DS6: and wife to a warrior.
#2 of 2 Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the car, driving, just the 2 of you, preferably when it's dark out. Easy for them to open up because you aren't looking at each other, and there are no distractions. And make sure you just give her lots of space to talk (meaning, be quiet.) If you ask, "how are things at school" and she says "fine". Be quiet. Give her time to sort out her thoughts, figure out what she wants to say, how to say it, etc.

The book How to Talk So Your Teen Will Listen and Listen So Your Teen Will Talk is a good one, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page