15 year old sucks her thumb - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I wasnt an adult thumb sucker, but I was an adult blankie lover..lol.. well, I still have it..

Its more about comfort than anything else... and my ds was a thumb sucker and quit on his own, i think when he was four or turned 5. I had told him pretty soon he was going to start losing teeth and his dentist was going to tell him he would need to stop so that his teeth would come in straight and he stopped all on his own a couple of months after that.... And i NEVER ONCE before that mentioned his thumb, shamed his thumb or made any comments what so ever about it being bad, gross, etc..

HOWEVER, I was teased constantly as a child by my dad that he was going to through my blanky away, that he burned it in the woodstove, etc.... and I think that was what made my attachment sooo strong, and I was a sensitive kid, a little insecure.... and so, I still have it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 PM

One of my girlfriends sucks her thumb at night when she sleeps. I think it's just like biting nails- a habit. If it were me i wouldn't worry.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#33 of 42 Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Oops! Double post!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#34 of 42 Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
I have heard a lot of professionals state that if a young child is constant bothered to not suck their thumb, it reinforces the need/habit to do so. But if left alone about it, they outgrow it by around the 3rd grade. (I think I got that right.)
Wow. I think this is what happened to me. My parents harassed me, threatented me, bribed me...

All right, I'll be the oldest admitted thumbsucker on the board. I still do it. And I'm 27 years old. And at this point I don't think about it much, and don't really "plan" to stop. And when I was 15 most of my friends were 14 too. I don't think that I'm dangerously or unstable.

My DF's older sister still sucks her's too, and she's 34 (I think)

(I actually was thumb sucking while reading this initially...)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#35 of 42 Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Wow. I think this is what happened to me. My parents harassed me, threatented me, bribed me...

All right, I'll be the oldest admitted thumbsucker on the board. I still do it. And I'm 27 years old. And at this point I don't think about it much, and don't really "plan" to stop. And when I was 15 most of my friends were 14 too. I don't think that I'm dangerously or unstable.

My DF's older sister still sucks her's too, and she's 34 (I think)

(I actually was thumb sucking while reading this initially...)

Sorry actually I'm older than you, I'm 29 and I still suck my thumb
I have a friend with a phd, making 6 figures and she does too
I am a migraine thumb sucker, if I have a headache my finger is most certainly going into my mouth, lol
#36 of 42 Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 PM

I never was a thumb sucker but I still do the same "comfort thing" I did as a child...I twirl my hair around my fingers and sometimes i brush my hair on my face to feel the softness or i'll smell it.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#37 of 42 Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM

I'm 26 and still suck mine. It is a comfort thing.

I am totally normal (well....what is normal anyway?) and never suffered any because I sucked my thumb. I don't ever do it in public though and haven't since I was probably 4-5 years old.
#38 of 42 Old 01-10-2008, 05:17 PM

as a sensory seeking adult, i still suck my thumb sometimes in stressful/uncomfortable times. Forget about what your mom said and let your dd pick her freinds.
#39 of 42 Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM

I'm not sure if thumb sucking is hereditary or what but both my girls sucked their thumbs until about 12 or 13 and they are both well adjusted so I sure don't see it as a big deal. My 15 yr old smokes cigarettes now ughhh and I've often told her I'd rather she sucked her thumb. There are alot worse habits to have than thumb sucking. Good luck, Barb
#40 of 42 Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
the fact she hangs out with my daughter who is over a year and half younger is another sign she's immature[/B]
Wow, how sad that kids are being so age segregated now. There is nothing immature or abnormal about 2 kids hanging out with an 18 month age difference. My dd was friends of a wide variety of ages growing up I think it's an awesome thing for all kids to have that. It's also completely NORMAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommie View Post
Just wanted to throw in my two cents. The only time in life when we're segregated to a group of people who are only our age is in school. It's not "natural".:
Exactly.
#41 of 42 Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 PM

Wow, I had no idea there were so many thumb-suckers on MDC!
I'll admit it, too. I suck my thumb and I'm 23. I actually started when I was weaned (at 1) and my mom tried everything to get me to stop. I don't walk down the street doing it but I still do it at home when I'm laying in bed at night.

I think I'm pretty well-adjusted, happy, mature, college-educated, etc. It's just a bad habit.
#42 of 42 Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 PM

I finally quit sucking my thumb in my teens...but after giving birth to my son, guess what I started doing again??? Maybe I'm the oldest now on here at 38!? I have a second cousin in her 60's who still does it, so does my sister in her 40's, also my MIL in her 60's. Sometimes I wonder if there's a genetic thing. I can see me having copied my sister but we didn't know the cousin until adulthood.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page