Newbie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a newbie to this forum, NOT to preteens and teens. Currently, we have 3 teens (19yo ds, twin 16yo dd's) and a preteen (12yo ds) at home, and have 3 adult children (27yo ds, 23yo ds, and 21yo dd). Somewhere along the way I lost control of my home. My question is how do I get back control of my 12 yo so that he takes responsibility for his own things, and also participates in household chores? I have had serious problems with depression since he was a baby, sometimes treated, somnetimes not, and so he hasn't always had my full attention. He's a great kid, but he will not do chores without whining, and he yells at me frequently. I know I'm whining myself right now, but as I've lurked here on Mothering, I see many values that are consistent with my own. I am almost 55, and I guess I'm tired, but I don't want to give up on this boy of mine. We've never found good rewards and consequences for any of our kids, b/c we live on one low income. I've never posted in any of the forums, and a little reminder at the top of my page when I logged in suggested that I do, so now...I can't shut up. I hope this post makes some sense.Any ideas?

User Tag List