What have you used to kill lice? HELP! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2008, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank goodness I found this post! Great input. We discovered we all have lice, though it is showing up differently in each of us. We made our own tea tree oil shampoo by putting 10 - 15 drops in one palm-ful of shampoo (for one person) plus some lavender. I just read about Neem and when we do a second treatment I will add that in.

Our problem is that the lice combs (fine tooth, metal, Rid brand - USA) do NOT REMOVE THE NITS. I know the finer one gets the actual lice, but we only had a few. I'm talking about the nits that cling to the hairs and are about 1 - 2 inches away from the scalp. My school's info says these are not viable eggs, they are hatched already, so they aren't a threat to recontamination. But for unknown reasons, we are required to remove every single one before my daughter, with long curly hair, may return to school!!! I tried the suggestion to soak in vinegar first and also to use lots of conditioner and immediately comb. But I can literally see nit on the hair shaft, comb it 3 times, and it's still there. It goes right through the comb. :

Any other suggestions on loosening and removing those dumb nits? I had to just use my fingernails and slide each bugger off. SOOOOOOO tedious. I wonder if a different comb would work better, but the one we're using is very fine and there's practically no space between the teeth/tines.

By the way, thanks so much to AussieMum for the link to the Australian univ. site (http://www.jcu.edu.au/school/phtm/PH...ce/hlinfo1.htm). I found this very helpful, especially in making feel I don't have to go crazy with laundry and vacuuming.

Lisa SP in California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelps View Post
Any other suggestions on loosening and removing those dumb nits?
the easiest way i have found is to just yank the hair out, then i have a candle burning and hold the nit over to flame (just to make sure its dead lol)

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie2 View Post
the easiest way i have found is to just yank the hair out, then i have a candle burning and hold the nit over to flame (just to make sure its dead lol)
I agree. As long as you pull out exactly one hair at a time, it doesn't hurt. Or, at least, if your child has very long curly hair, this method is kinder than combing. I think we're lice free now. We used the dawn soap/tea tree oil/vinegar recipe, and it does kill the lice, but it dries out the hair. My washing machine was running non-stop for three days, but I think I went a little overboard with that, LOL.

User Tag List