"soulja boy" - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 184 Old 01-29-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
okay, My 19 year old sister who is very much into music videos, the latest everything says that you all are reading too much into the lyrics. That it is indeed about a dance not an actual hoe(ahem girl). That up in this hoe doesn't refer to a girl but more like up in this place or something. She just laughed when I asked her about it. I had to get her to translate some things for em ,lol like I had no idea bapes were shoes. I always thought he meant babes like girls. Anyway she says it's funny cause most peopel pver 25 think this way but most under 20 have no idea what we're talking about, I think she's calling me old.: She says he does have some dirty songs though but that's not one of them.
someone posted a link to what the lyrics mean on the second page i think. urban dictionary or something like that. go read it. it's definately not a dance (although i know there's a really awesome dance that goes with it). and it definately is ho. maybe not in the first line "up in da ho". i can see how that may mean house. but i can tell you they aren't talking about supermanning a house.
#62 of 184 Old 01-29-2008, 05:10 PM

what exactly is supermanning anyway?
#63 of 184 Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
what exactly is supermanning anyway?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=superman
#64 of 184 Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
Oh. MY. I wanna barf
#65 of 184 Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 PM

If it's so easy to separate the "good music" from the terribly damaging words... well, it isn't really. It just isn't.

If the message was totally racist, racist in the most heinous way like the superdork's message is misogynistic (woman HATING), would anyone make a case for separating the "good music" from the racist message?

I think not.

We shouldn't buy it; we should tell radio stations we don't want to hear it. We should communicate to the artist that we'd love to listen to his music, and dance to his music, and we'll buy his music, but he needs to go to Misogynist Rehab. Check-in at my garage door. First exercise is to be blindfolded; disoriented, some oinking pigs soundtrack, and then get a synthetic (orange juice in a squirt bottle) superman treatment. A little "do unto others" review lesson.

VF
#66 of 184 Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewfinder View Post
If the message was totally racist, racist in the most heinous way like the superdork's message is misogynistic (woman HATING), would anyone make a case for separating the "good music" from the racist message?
Sweet Home Alabama has some subtle rascist digs that are meant to be silly and lighthearted (the messages in response to Neil Young). I'll bet there are other songs with similar.
#67 of 184 Old 01-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
If it's so easy to separate the "good music" from the terribly damaging words... well, it isn't really. It just isn't.
I assume you mean for you it's not so easy? It is easy or at least doable for others.

Quote:
There are many songs, some of them quite old, that have racism (often subtle) tones woven in the lyrics. Everyone has their own limit as to what they feel comfortable listening to and what they feel they should pass on.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#68 of 184 Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
My Dd loves the song, and maybe more importantly the dance to the song. It's extremely popular right now. Just check Youtube for about 8,000 different versions.

We talk about lyrics a lot in our family and this song is no exception. My Dd is aware that many songs she finds catchy have lyrics that talk about things she personally may not value, but in many cases she can seperate the lyrics from enjoying the sound or beat of a song. She doesn't think of/ refer to women as "ho's" and she wouldn't think too highly of someone who did, but none of that is necessary to enjoy the song. For example, I really like "Soldier" by Destiny's Child. I find the lyrics a bit silly, but the song overall always has caught my attention and made me feel happy or upbeat. That's a good thing right? Hearing lyrics doesn't mean we have to agree with what they are talking about.

Everyone has their own limits of course, and they are likely going to be different for everyone. We don't censor media, but we do talk about it a lot. It's an interesting subject.
I'm on the same page as you with this.

Madonna, Public Enemy, all the hot bands when I was that age were not too much different, in essence. parents freaked out but I never listened much to messages in the songs. I knew lyrics, usually knew what it meant, but I was not absorbing direction from them.

We talk a lot about it in our house, too. And I did draw the line at Eminem talking about killing his ex wife and stuff. But what I said was, "it makes me feel v uncomfortable to listen to that" and if they wanted to listen to it, they did it out of earshot of me.

I do want to applaude you for even paying attention, OP. So many parents just are not even aware. We cant make informed decisions about our kids' media influences if we dont know about them.
#69 of 184 Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I assume you mean for you it's not so easy? It is easy or at least doable for others.

There are many songs, some of them quite old, that have racism (often subtle) tones woven in the lyrics. Everyone has their own limit as to what they feel comfortable listening to and what they feel they should pass on.

Yes, UnschoolnMa, I do mean that for me, it is not easy, it's not really doable. Not that I need to have those artists hunted down and silenced, but I am very sensitive to how this type of "art" plays into the big picture of our society, and there's a whole political discussion that hinges on beliefs about people's natures, and all kinds of factors.

That for you it is easy is clearly a source of some pride for you, so I guess all I can say is congratulations.

Some old songs are racist... yes, well, that's the point. OLD songs, not new songs. OLD songs that reflect old, "damaging" beliefs people held/hold that negatively affect whole segments of, and in fact, ALL of society.

VF, Director,
Misogynist Rehab
#70 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:

That for you it is easy is clearly a source of some pride for you, so I guess all I can say is congratulations.
Wow. I am sensing a bit of unnecessary snark here, maybe?

I am not trying to brag about anything if that's what you are implying. I just meant that tastes in music, just as in any other kind of art, are going to vary widely from person to person and that I believe our teens are capable of examining lyrics and their meanings and enjoy a song for a variety of reasons. (Maybe lyrics, maybe the beat, maybe the interesting arrangement, etc.)

:

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#71 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me. If that isn't sexual innuendo, I don't know what is. I did know the song was about sex when I was a teen and listening to it but I'm not sure if I knew exactly what it all meant. Anyway, I think I turned out all right in spite of listening to that dirty, filthy rock and roll music.
Me too! And before I listened to Pour Some Sugar on Me, my parents played songs about prostitutes by Donna Summer, and songs about drugs by a variety of bands. Cocaine was one of my favorite songs when I was a teen, and I've never so much as smoked a cigarette.

It isn't always about the lyrics. I think many of them go right over the heads of the listener.

I often buy my dd1 (now 11) the Now That's What I Call Music cds, or the Grammy Nominations annual cd as birthday or Xmas gifts. I think Soulja Boy was on one she just got for Xmas. I wouldn't take it away.
#72 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 AM

Oh man, talk about a trip down memory lane! Pour Some Sugar On Me is still one of my fave DL songs.

#73 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Wow. I am sensing a bit of unnecessary snark here, maybe?

I am not trying to brag about anything if that's what you are implying. I just meant that tastes in music, just as in any other kind of art, are going to vary widely from person to person and that I believe our teens are capable of examining lyrics and their meanings and enjoy a song for a variety of reasons. (Maybe lyrics, maybe the beat, maybe the interesting arrangement, etc.)

:
Tastes in the levels of necessary snark vary widely, UnschoolnMa. (where's the "throws her head back and laughs" smiley?)

I don't think we're talking about a matter simply of tastes in music. I think it's much bigger than that, and it has been explained here already by others who seem to feel similarly to me.

Misogyny is a huge, huge problem in society. I wish there was a mechanism with which I could silence musical artists whose lyrics degrade women, objectify women, trivialize women. I believe it is damaging to be disseminated... because it goes into children's ears, children's hearts, children's maps of the world. And I believe it is delusional to think that children have the capability to deal with this stuff. If children and teenagers are so sophisticated, so discerning, why don't they just go out on their own? What do they need parents for?

They're NOT so sophisticated, they're NOT so rock solid sure of themselves as you think, they're NOT so imbued with your good values that they virtually ARE you.

Can you remember the FIRST time your little daughter actually heard the real words of some great fun, misogynistic rap song, and how she reacted to it? I can. It HURT her. Her face fell, like it was PERSONAL. She looked up at me, her eyes searching for some explanation. "Why is he saying that about her?" (eminem's ode to wife Kim).

And you can talk all you want to her about why, and educate her for the rest of her life that "it's those other people over there...," and it's not going to explain away that personal hurt. It HURTS to be debased because of the color of your skin; it HURTS to be debased because of your gender. We pretty much shut the racist stuff down, and moreso every day. I'd like to shut down the misogynistic stuff.

VF
#74 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Misogyny is a huge, huge problem in society. I wish there was a mechanism with which I could silence musical artists whose lyrics degrade women, objectify women, trivialize women. I believe it is damaging to be disseminated... because it goes into children's ears, children's hearts, children's maps of the world. And I believe it is delusional to think that children have the capability to deal with this stuff. If children and teenagers are so sophisticated, so discerning, why don't they just go out on their own? What do they need parents for?

They're NOT so sophisticated, they're NOT so rock solid sure of themselves as you think, they're NOT so imbued with your good values that they virtually ARE you.

Can you remember the FIRST time your little daughter actually heard the real words of some great fun, misogynistic rap song, and how she reacted to it? I can. It HURT her. Her face fell, like it was PERSONAL. She looked up at me, her eyes searching for some explanation. "Why is he saying that about her?" (eminem's ode to wife Kim).

And you can talk all you want to her about why, and educate her for the rest of her life that "it's those other people over there...," and it's not going to explain away that personal hurt. It HURTS to be debased because of the color of your skin; it HURTS to be debased because of your gender. We pretty much shut the racist stuff down, and moreso every day. I'd like to shut down the misogynistic stuff.

VF

We all love music in our home but none of us listen to mysoginistic garbage like that, good beat or not. Music is for lovers not haters. I've listened to a lot of angsty music over the years and the lyrical content is important to real music fans not just jumping on the bandwagon cos everyone else is. My dd felt the same way when she heard her first round of women-hating 'music', it is personal. My ds also hates mysoginistic crap like this cos he has sisters and loves them. Censorship is such a stupid concept, I prefer enlightenment cos if we just do the nodding dog thing towards all these erm 'artists' we may as well be collaborating with sexism which I and millions of other women experience every day, no-one seems to take it seriously enough cos no-one cares or maybe they think men have a right to treat women and girls like this. I don't hear songs about men being treated like waste-products, and all the little kiddies jiving about to it cos it's got a good beat. The real reason a lot of males are all 'lovin it' is cos it allows them free reign to express their super-imposed ( by society)mysoginy, it's not just their trousers these guys need to keep zipped. If men weren't so screwed up sexually there would be lots better music around and plenty of male bands have managed fine so far. I particularly like male bands who sing about sexism towards women and their disgust thereof, about the oppresive sexuality we are bombarded with daily. To me they are real men and real musicians. Artistic liscence? Whats it gonna be next, pedo's getting in on the act? 'my girl lollipop', there is a constant barrage of 'sexual' innuendo everywhere we go, nothing to do with sensuality and everything to do with sex as a product.How desensitized are we becoming?
#75 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM

"Shutting down" racist music did not get rid of racism. Racism is still alive and well in our society, although maybe not as openly expressed. I'm sure artists are still making racist music. It's just a matter of finding it. I don't really listen to music very much so I can't name names. Society shifted away from being openly and blatantly racist and so the popular music shifted with it, not the other way around. It's the same with misogyny. As our society moves further and further away from the idea that that kind of attitude toward or treatment of women is ok, the popular music will shift away from it.

Sitting here typing this and thinking about it something occured to me. I would have never had any idea what "supermanning" is or that people even did that to other people if I hadn't heard the song. However, it's very likely that my son was exposed to this. Listening to the song together and knowing what the lyrics mean allows me to talk to my ds about how I feel about the act, which maybe gives him a different perspective on supermanning and how to treat women in general.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#76 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM

I don't care what the lyrics are, I want that stupid song off the radio because the music sucks. Sometimes I think that the requirement for being a program director at a radio station is complete tone-deafness. If people want to listen to a song that got popular despite being lousy, let 'em buy the album and play it on their own equipment.

(Note, it's one of about 5 songs that I dislike completely. Even in genres I don't listen to much I can find something musically good about the songs.)
#77 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Oh man, talk about a trip down memory lane! Pour Some Sugar On Me is still one of my fave DL songs.

Photograph is mine. I love DL.
#78 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I think I turned out all right in spite of listening to that dirty, filthy rock and roll music.
Me too.

I have an 8 year old & while he doesn't understand what lyrics to songs like that mean right now I know that he will & we will talk about & that will be the end of it. I won't censor his music. I listened to NWA, 2 Live Crew & some crazy punk bands growing up & I am not warped... well only slightly I guess.

In june I am taking him to see The Reverend Horton Heat, The Supersucksrs (One of his favorite bands) & Nashville Pussy! We can't wait!
#79 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 03:13 PM

Can someone tell me what supermanning is? I *think* I know what supersoaking is... if it's a 'golden shower.' I can't believe I am writing this crap.
#80 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelle-a-tron View Post
Can someone tell me what supermanning is? I *think* I know what supersoaking is... if it's a 'golden shower.' I can't believe I am writing this crap.
urbandictionary(dot)com is the place to go.
#81 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
urbandictionary(dot)com is the place to go.

Thanks!
#82 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 PM

I've been thinking about and discussing this topic a lot lately. One thing I realized...The lyrics to songs I grew up with (80's 90's) were sexy and seductive.
Anyone remember Rod Stewart's Tonight's the Night? OMG. That got me so excited and my mom so mad. But here's the difference. It was sexy and romantic. It conjured up images of passion and love. It's not mysogynistic and degrading.
I discussed my discomfort with the lyrics of soulja boy and had my kids remove it from their iPods. I just can't stand to hear my 11yo son singing "superman that oh." I am so grateful this thread came up. I had NO idea what awful lyrics they were. I told them what they meant. Not sure if that was the best route. I'm hoping it's not lunchroom talk at DS's school today.
Can anyone tell me about some hip hop/rap that has positive lyrics. We already listen to Matisyahu but I'd love to know of others.
#83 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
"Shutting down" racist music did not get rid of racism. Racism is still alive and well in our society, although maybe not as openly expressed. I'm sure artists are still making racist music. It's just a matter of finding it. I don't really listen to music very much so I can't name names. Society shifted away from being openly and blatantly racist and so the popular music shifted with it, not the other way around. It's the same with misogyny. As our society moves further and further away from the idea that that kind of attitude toward or treatment of women is ok, the popular music will shift away from it.
And how, may I ask, is our society going to shift away from it? Does it have an appointment to shift?

I would suggest that society has an "impetus" to shift, an impetus fed by ME, saying, "Hey, NO MORE of this. It's not nice, it hurts our society, stop it."

And racism, as you said, is NOT over... no, and it likely never will be as much as most people would like it to be (over).

BUT, it has weakened enormously, and shows signs of weakening a LOT more, as it should. Racist images and sounds in the media have lessened incredibly... you had to be alive before the Civil Rights Movement to appreciate the enormity of the changes. Do you think that racist images and recordings only started to disappear AFTER the civil rights movement, or after the "shift," however you see that?

The businesses that distribute these sounds and images respond to the language of the dollar: if the public ain't buyin'; the studio/record company ain't sellin.' It starts with public outcry: Don't buy these misogynistic products purposely and deliberately. And don't defend them... good grief, they've really got you where they want you then. It makes one a handmaiden for misogynists.

Oh, btw, misogyny isn't a little men's club downtown with weekly harmless fun and annual do-gooder missions: Misogyny is woman-hating. Hate. Hate. Not dislike, not criticism, not the good-natured, "Women. Can't live with em, can't live without em," guys from the block attitude about his beloved wife, who he really loves, admires and respects. It's a man who views vagina-bearing human beings as pieces of sh-- to do with, or not, whatever he wants, from using them as a kleenex to masturbate into to a piece of traction on the highway of HIS LIFE. Objects of love... NOOOO, a misogynist does not understand or feel LOVE as we know it. They have want and don't want. He uses words and his body to hurt, deface, bring down, dehumanize women. And when it is done with music, or dance, or pictures, or movies, I AM NOT BUYING. And I am not going to lob that enormous, flame-loaded spear at my daughter's heart by simply discussing with her that... that what... that some men who masquerade as being nice, and cool, and with it, and who may even be hot and attractive and even SWEET in a conversation, are singing out to the world a so-called SONG, or TRACK, to the world where they say these absolutely insulting things about women, generally, and they want to or do really nasty things to them that hurt them and make them cry, or where they actually talk like they want to kill her, and exactly how they want to kill her. And don't listen to it, or be wierded out at all if the little boy or young man you have a serious crush on starts saying those same words out loud while he's grooving along with his IPOD... they don't really MEAN that."

"Then why do they say it, Mom? Why don't they say what they MEAN, then, Mom and Dad? Can I have a peanut butter sandwich, Daddy? What are young men thinking about... Dad? Do you think that way? Thanks for taking off the crusts, Daddy. Do you ever say that or do that to Mom? Will someone want to do that to me?

::Puke

That's where her thinking is going to take her to. I'm against that. I am crying out. Shut that stuff down. Don't buy it, don't defend it, don't explain it: don't put it into their mp3 player. It's not that hard. Other people can still get it, listen to it, let your kid listen to it, throw a party with it and invite your kids, and YOUR decision to PARENT the heck out of the situation as much as you can if that is only to not allow them to play it at home or to load it into the mp3 player that you bought them, will impact your children's growth and maturity in a really good way, as good as the growth and maturity that might--maybe--come if you just give them the reins on it, which imo, for children in elementary school for sure, is not a good thing at all. They're not ready, they cannot comprehend without some psychic damage what it's all about and what it means about a lot of things. I feel my child is really deep, smart, aware, precocious... and all that stuff, but she is a child with a child's development. She is still under my protection for this reason, so says Nature and Society.

VF
#84 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 PM

Oh yea! You said it viewfinder!
#85 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 08:07 PM

I don't buy it. I don't even have an MP3 player to put it in. I don't listen to it of my own accord. I am not defending the lyrics of any song. I am defending an individual's right to listen to it. I am saying that censorship is not the answer. Open, honest communication is. None of these things is going to go away quickly. It's part of an ongoing shift away from victimizing people in general that my focus on one group more than another at any given time. I also don't see the point in continuing this discussion if name-calling is going to continue. That's not respectful.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#86 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Tastes in the levels of necessary snark vary widely, UnschoolnMa. (where's the "throws her head back and laughs" smiley?)
Agreed!

Quote:
Misogyny is a huge, huge problem in society. I wish there was a mechanism with which I could silence musical artists whose lyrics degrade women, objectify women, trivialize women.
Overall I am no fan. But music is art, and artists have the right to free speech whether or not I agree with what they are saying. I have the right to listen or to not listen, and so do you, which is all good news. Censorship doesn't work for me.

Quote:
I believe it is damaging to be disseminated... because it goes into children's ears, children's hearts, children's maps of the world. And I believe it is delusional to think that children have the capability to deal with this stuff. If children and teenagers are so sophisticated, so discerning, why don't they just go out on their own? What do they need parents for?
And I believe it's inaccurate to say that children and teens can't understand these things. (How's that for an impasse? LOL) I have the proof right here in my own children, actually. I think there is a big difference in saying that kids/teens are capable of critically thinking about song lyrics and other art, and that they don't need any adult presence in their lives. I'm here for my teens to share my experiences, my thoughts, and to offer any guidance I can give. The world is full of things that are harmful, sad, unjust, and whatever else that I don't particularly value. My kids know that, and I share my thoughts on safety, respect, and etc.

Quote:
Who said any of that? In any case, I have seen evidence that they do have many of the same values I do. We don't always agree, but I never expected that we would. They are individuals, and I never want them to be "virtually me". As far as rock solid goes...I am not always 100% sure of everything myself, and I don't imagine they are either. That's why critical thinking is something I want them to be able to do. That way they can evaluate what they think and feel about something and why.

Quote:
Oh she was probably about 9 or so when Eminem started to get hot on the radio. What you've described up there was not our experience. We listened and talked about what we liked and didn't like and why. It was a great opportunity to talk about sexism, domestic violence, anger management, power struggles/imbalances, self esteem, etc.

Quote:
And you can talk all you want to her about why, and educate her for the rest of her life that "it's those other people over there...," and it's not going to explain away that personal hurt. It HURTS to be debased because of the color of your skin; it HURTS to be debased because of your gender.
Sure it hurts. I totally agree. I do think talking and education is key. Absolutely!

#87 of 184 Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Sitting here typing this and thinking about it something occured to me. I would have never had any idea what "supermanning" is or that people even did that to other people if I hadn't heard the song. However, it's very likely that my son was exposed to this. Listening to the song together and knowing what the lyrics mean allows me to talk to my ds about how I feel about the act, which maybe gives him a different perspective on supermanning and how to treat women in general.
Absolutely!!

#88 of 184 Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 AM

Just to be clear on that. My opinions on this matter are long-held, I've written a lot about it. The name, handmaiden of misogyny is not calling someone a name, but illustrating what I see as the description of the member of a social system who defends the rights of misogynists who strike out at members of her own sex, including her daughters. I hope you will think about it alot. I truly do. If you don't want to, fine. Hey, I was in Charleston, South Carolina when a woman's group in the city picketed at the Citadel Military Academy against the women who were already admitted. Same thing, in my opinion. Handmaidens of Patriarchy.

Censorship is unrealistic. I don't advocate censorship of artists. But I advocate for individual courage to make bold, new decisions in this area. I do believe that all the enlightened parenting that you and I do is Number One on the list to do. Number Two is me doing what I can to eliminate pain coming at my child.

I've had a lot of exposure to a lot of different kids and teens, from insulated rich kids to teens in detention centers... I think of these kids, too, who may or may not--most of them not, have parents with the ability to parent that we would like them to have, and it's up to the rest of us in society to help THOSE families, too. It's not enough to figure, well, we can help our child to deal with this... it's all good. Because most children and teens don't actually have that kind of wonderful bond with their parents.

I have a wealth of experience working with the power of suggestion on many levels, with many different types of and groups of people. These experiences inform my beliefs on this subject.

Please look a little deeper at it, consider the future ramifications of being okay with it, ignoring the message in the song, allowing yourself to be another ring of the cash register that puts money in that guy's pocket, and thereby propogate MORE OF THE SAME for years to come.

VF
#89 of 184 Old 02-01-2008, 04:03 AM

It seems standards in popular music keep falling to new lows as the years pass! Idiotic, inane and devoid of creativity. I can't imagine what sort of music these kids are going to remember with some nostalgia when they grow up.
#90 of 184 Old 02-01-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawind View Post
It seems standards in popular music keep falling to new lows as the years pass! Idiotic, inane and devoid of creativity. I can't imagine what sort of music these kids are going to remember with some nostalgia when they grow up.
Good question! I was interested too so I asked my kids.

A partial list of Dd's songs:

"Everywhere" by Michelle Branch- She and her best friend listened to it so much when it came out.

"Sugar We're Going Down" by Fall Out Boy - The first song she heard by what is now her very fave band. This is a love also shared by the aforementioned best friend. Both girls got to see FOB in concert last summer, and it was a memory they will really cherish forever I think. Many of the lyrics have a lot of meaning and memory attached for the girls. Almost all of their songs are on her list.

"Time Of Your Life" by Green Day- Reminds Dd of an online friend!

"Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty - Makes her think of me and her Dad.

"Dazed and Confused" by LZ - Reminds her of brother.

"Meet Virginia" by Train- Fun time in her life, reminds her of where we were living at the time, and a girl we used to know.

"Vienna" by Billy Joel- It's just so her

Some from Ds:

Matchbox 20- Reminds him of being a little boy at our old apartment complex

"Stairway to Heaven" - Intro to Led Zeppelin!

Early TOOL- Makes him think of his Dad

The Blackeyed Peas - In some weird timing thing, every time Ds would get a new Final Fantasy game the BE Peas would end up releasing a new single. He'd hear it often on the radio as he worked at conquering the game.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page