"soulja boy" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you heard this song?

My dd's friend came over the other day and they looked it up on youtube to let me hear it because they were all excited about it. It was the (somewhat) clean version. I listened to the lyrics: supersoak that ohhhhhhh! superman that ohhhhhhhhhh!

I asked them what the lyrics meant and her friend said they're different dances "the superman" "the supersoak", etc. I said okay that's weird, but okay.

My dh came home from work and I told him about that song and he asked if I knew what that song was about. I told him what the girl said and he said she may THINK that's what it's about, but it's not (he learned about it at work). Substitute all the ohhhhhhh! for ho and that's the regular version of the song. Then he explained what supersoaking and supermaning a ho is and I don't think I can post that here, but it's really bad for preteens running around singing this song and REALLY degrading to women.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a censorship fanatic, but I like to watch what my kids are taking in as far as media goes and this song is a goner for me. Even the clean version ain't so clean now I know what that stuff means.

My dh actually asked me to come post this here so people would be more aware of what kids may be listening to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM

The 12-year old that I tutor asked me if I'd heard the song and if I knew what "superman" was ... Oh, did I feel old and out-of-touch.
Then when I found out what it was all about ... I just felt creeped out that 12-year olds are listening to and talking about that kind of thing for recreation.

On new years' eve we went to the town square where they had a kids' karaoke stage set up (among other activities). All these 8-9-10-11 year old kids getting up singing this Soulja Boy song, and London Bridge, by Fergie, and other basically unsavory material. Parents: laughing and taking pictures. Me: rolling my eyes and throwing up a little in my mouth.

These kids today, I swear ...
Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM

I'm not sure what it means but if its the kind of thing I think it might be I'd not feel comfortable.

I know teens are interested in sex but we can at least encourage them to think of sex in respectful and hopefully loving terms. Not just using the body of another person or degrading them.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
I'm not sure what it means but if its the kind of thing I think it might be I'd not feel comfortable.

I know teens are interested in sex but we can at least encourage them to think of sex in respectful and hopefully loving terms. Not just using the body of another person or degrading them.
Yeah, agreed, and this is decidedly disrespectful. I wouldn't put it in the same blatantly misogynist category as, say, certain choice material by Limp BIzkit or NWA, but it's gross, silly, and not at all appropriate for a preteen.

I mean, if that's the first introduction you have, as an adolescent, to what adults do in the bedroom, you're going to go through early adulthood with quite a warped sense of boundaries and propriety.

But, on the other hand, what do we do as a society? I know what we do as parents, but I don't see any kind of collective action to take that wouldn't amount to censorship, hysteria arising from a generation gap, or simply giving this stupid song more attention and notoriety than it deserves.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

when i heard the unrated version after kids bedtime, it really reminded me of back when i listened to 2 live crew. of course, my parents didn't know i was listening to that and would have freaked if they did.

i have a little more supervision over my dd than they did me. my dd will not be listening to soulja boy anymore.

oh yeah, there is a video on youtube of a ballet class routine to this song. the dance is good, i wish they'd picked a better song to put it with.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Dd loves the song, and maybe more importantly the dance to the song. It's extremely popular right now. Just check Youtube for about 8,000 different versions.

We talk about lyrics a lot in our family and this song is no exception. My Dd is aware that many songs she finds catchy have lyrics that talk about things she personally may not value, but in many cases she can seperate the lyrics from enjoying the sound or beat of a song. She doesn't think of/ refer to women as "ho's" and she wouldn't think too highly of someone who did, but none of that is necessary to enjoy the song. For example, I really like "Soldier" by Destiny's Child. I find the lyrics a bit silly, but the song overall always has caught my attention and made me feel happy or upbeat. That's a good thing right? Hearing lyrics doesn't mean we have to agree with what they are talking about.

Everyone has their own limits of course, and they are likely going to be different for everyone. We don't censor media, but we do talk about it a lot. It's an interesting subject.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 01-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
when i heard the unrated version after kids bedtime, it really reminded me of back when i listened to 2 live crew. of course, my parents didn't know i was listening to that and would have freaked if they did..

OMG, I almost forgot about 2 Live Crew! Do you remember the controversy over them getting banned, protests, courtroom stuff? I wasn't a fan of them (found them tacky and the sound really brash) but I was totally on their side that whole mess.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 PM

i play this video for ds2 and he goes nuts bouncing up and down...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 PM

personally I'm with unschoolnma on this one. I don't censor my son's music at all, but instead we talk about the lyrics. I'm a bit pickier about video games and movies, but for me, music is something you can enjoy without agreeing with what is said to a point where I Feel its worth letting it go.

My son is going to be exposed to these things anyways and I would rather he understand it and make the choice for himself if he wants to listen to it, with a good foundation of knowledge about what it is and what it means. So far that philosophy has worked well. My son is a pain in the butt at times, but he has a great foundation of values about this sort of thing.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 PM

i just think back to when I was little and dancing around to Grease Lightening and then later I found out the lyrics said "she's a real pussy wagon" and "chicks'll cream". It just went over my head back then.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
i just think back to when I was little and dancing around to Grease Lightening and then later I found out the lyrics said "she's a real pussy wagon" and "chicks'll cream". It just went over my head back then.
I loved that song!

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBirthMama View Post
i play this video for ds2 and he goes nuts bouncing up and down...
THAT'S the one I'm talking about! Yes, I'm a sucker for good choreography and that's a great dance!

What I'm wondering is those of you who talk to your kids about the meaning of the lyrics with your kids: Do you explain to them what supersoaking and supermanning a ho means, literally? I don't know how old your kids are, but I just don't feel right telling my 10 yo the meaning of that.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post

this is exactly what i was thinking

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
What I'm wondering is those of you who talk to your kids about the meaning of the lyrics with your kids: Do you explain to them what supersoaking and supermanning a ho means, literally? I don't know how old your kids are, but I just don't feel right telling my 10 yo the meaning of that.
No, I dont explain anything graphically. I would, for example, refer to those as a slang references to sexual acts, and I've talked about what "ho" means to my son before, in regards to it being a derrogatory way of referring to someone who has sex indiscriminantly.

my spelling is horrific here but you get my point
Old 01-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
No, I dont explain anything graphically. I would, for example, refer to those as a slang references to sexual acts
I agree with this. I also don't offer information or explanations unless asked.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
THAT'S the one I'm talking about! Yes, I'm a sucker for good choreography and that's a great dance!

Well, at that age my kids already had quite a bit of info about sex so it might not have been an issue. I'd have just said something about how it's slang for sexual activities, and then we could have gone on from there.

In this case with this song Dd was the one who explained (the lyrics) it to me! "Check this out mom... did you know he that he actually says...."

Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM

I caught a little bit of VH1s 100 Best Songs of the 80s last night. Anyone else see that? Def Leppard's Poor Some Sugar on Me. If that isn't sexual innuendo, I don't know what is. I did know the song was about sex when I was a teen and listening to it but I'm not sure if I knew exactly what it all meant. Anyway, I think I turned out all right in spite of listening to that dirty, filthy rock and roll music.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I caught a little bit of VH1s 100 Best Songs of the 80s last night. Anyone else see that? Def Leppard's Poor Some Sugar on Me. If that isn't sexual innuendo, I don't know what is. I did know the song was about sex when I was a teen and listening to it but I'm not sure if I knew exactly what it all meant. Anyway, I think I turned out all right in spite of listening to that dirty, filthy rock and roll music.
I don't have a problem with sexual inuendo or occasional profanity, but I DO have a problem when sex is presented in a dirty, disrespectful way. A lot of these songs are about rape, calling girls/woman Ho's and worse etc. "Pour some sugar on me" is sexy but not dirty KWIM?

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 PM

I was into the underground rap scene in the mid 80s and it was pretty bad. Drugs, sex, you name it. I thought all the lyrics were cool. I really liked Prince...he was nasty. I think kids are naturally attracted to this type of stuff, but you just have to trust that what you model at home and have taught them will (hopefully) override external influences. My 19 yr old is extremely respectful of women and listens to some stuff I don't really like now I am an old fuddy dud. he sees it as artistic expression.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUM View Post
I was into the underground rap scene in the mid 80s and it was pretty bad. Drugs, sex, you name it. I thought all the lyrics were cool. I really liked Prince...he was nasty. I think kids are naturally attracted to this type of stuff, but you just have to trust that what you model at home and have taught them will (hopefully) override external influences. My 19 yr old is extremely respectful of women and listens to some stuff I don't really like now I am an old fuddy dud. he sees it as artistic expression.
Yep, that's my point. We don't give teens enough credit for being able to separate music, art, fantasy, video games, whatever, from real life. I watched Tom & Jerry when I was a very young child. It never even crossed my mind that it was okay or harmless to smash someone over the head with a frying pan. If we're open and honest with our teens and children and talk to them about our values and model what we consider decent or appropriate behavior, they'll get it. It's counterproductive to freak out over every latest shocking thing that comes out or becomes popular.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM

I agree with a lot of what has been said. A major objection I have is the obectification of women and the general glorification with being a passive victim and a rich celebrity without the day to day reality of working.
I try not to react while giving my teens many op to live a REAL life. To me, any screen:music,video,computer, TV is largely fansty. This is not bad, if it is in balnce.
Like, today my daugther, nearly 15 has voice lessons. This weekend she has a volleyball tournament. She will help with shopping. When we are out of town we will go to Whole Foods , a history center and a deli like they do not have around here. She is going to a club Sunday geared to the teen indie scene.
I want her to live and particpate in all kinds of life. The life depicted on popular culture is one small aspect and while intruiging, I feel it needs to be balnced with man
y other sorts of living.

I really try to avoid power struggles plus see that she loves the beat,etc.

Sallie
Old 01-25-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
That's so funny! When DH and I first started seeing each other, one day while we were in the car and that song came on the radio. He said, "You know, it never occurred to me before, I don't think this song is actually about sugar."
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Grease Lightening had those lyrics??!! I totally missed that too. And the sugar song- "i'm hot sticky sweet from my head to my feet..." yeah, that's sexual in nature.

I don't have too many issues with lyrics and my teen. Now i will ask her to turn off the videos or music if her younger sisters are around. But i think my teen is old enough to handle it.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's my point. We don't give teens enough credit for being able to separate music, art, fantasy, video games, whatever, from real life. I watched Tom & Jerry when I was a very young child. It never even crossed my mind that it was okay or harmless to smash someone over the head with a frying pan. If we're open and honest with our teens and children and talk to them about our values and model what we consider decent or appropriate behavior, they'll get it.
This is our approach.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM

OK I will expose just how old and in the way I am. I'm pretty sure I know what supersoak means but can someone come out and tell me what superman means? I learned that dance and everything.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 PM

Old 01-26-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keriberry View Post
so degrading...
Old 01-26-2008, 02:58 PM

The video to this song seems pretty innocuous to me though and not degrading to anyone. It just seems to be people dancing. Maybe he just puts in the superman and supersoak stuff to draw more attention to the song because I'm betting people are talking about it a lot more than if it was "tamer" lyrics. And for kids, I bet that gives it the lure of the forbidden.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
The video to this song seems pretty innocuous to me though and not degrading to anyone. It just seems to be people dancing. Maybe he just puts in the superman and supersoak stuff to draw more attention to the song because I'm betting people are talking about it a lot more than if it was "tamer" lyrics. And for kids, I bet that gives it the lure of the forbidden.
yeah probably. my dd and her friend thought they were just different dances, like doing the "superman" the same way someone would do the "cabbage patch" (man I'm old). I haven't seen the video. Maybe I'll youtube it in a bit. I wasn't bothered by the song at all until I heard what the meaning of those words were. It probably affects me a little differently being an abuse victim, too.
It's triggering for me and blows my mind that people would be joyfully dancing to something like that.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM

In one article he denies that was what it meant and was trying to get people to look at his new song. It could have been a lie but at the same time he is 17ish and it could have been something someone else wrote and he didn't know what it meant.

User Tag List