A Shout-Out to miriam: Please Advise!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-30-2003, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Miriam, you posted awhile back about your older son and his cavalier attitude toward student loans, etc.

Our ds is 22 and got into trouble with the law (pretty small potatoes) at age 18. He compounded it by ignoring the fact he was supposed to pay a fine on an installment plan. Now, he's in deep dookie. That's one problem. The other problem is he comes to our house only when he wants to hang out with his friends from high school. He eats here, goes out with friends all night, comes back here and eats/sleeps all day. No interacting with other family members. Dh finally said to him today when ds came home for a court appearance/"home visit" that ds needs to either visit us and stay with us, or go stay with his friends. Ds blew a gasket and picked up all his things and left town.

Now I'm upset. Dh is a gentle guy, but he told ds that his lack of respect for everyone in our house has to change. I agree with that, but I also know ds is a bullheaded kid who may very well freeze us out for a long time. Dh and I are concerned that ds's pot use is out of control; I think it is and like any addiction problem, it causes barriers between us.

I realize this is a lot of stuff to wade through, but you're the only momma on this board who seems to have a kid older than 18. Thanks for any comments you have. Calgal
#2 of 3 Old 09-17-2003, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear calgal007:

I pm'd you. Did you get it?

My DD is 22 and I have had the same problem. I went to Toughlove and through therapy, and basically, you just have to ask yourself how much of a doormat you are willing to be. If you have younger children, they are being affected also, make no mistake about it. And it will be years before you know just how badly they are affected now.

Everyone has to grow up sometime and the earlier the better. Law enforcement, therapists, social workers, doctors are worthless (I live in Los Angeles). YOU need to do the dirty foot work, because believe me, I have been there, and no one cares like you do about your own situation.

Drugs are a dangerous thing because even though many people believe that "pot" is harmless, the kind of criminal element that a person is around to acquire the illegal substance is dangerous enough to avoid it.

Know what ressources you have - church, the law, any neighbors, family or friends. Basically, you have yourself

May G-d give you the strength to get through this. E-mail me if you want.
#3 of 3 Old 10-16-2003, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Did you ever get an answer?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page