18 year old birthday party ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-02-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest is turning 18. She wants to have a party, but I (and her) are not sure what to do that will be reasonably priced!

She is involved with theater, but I can't afford to pay for everyone to go to a play or anything, so we are looking for other ideas. Plus, I don't know if I can handle 12 girls that age at my house (in addition to my other 4 kids!).

Just wondering what others have done to make this birthday special.
#2 of 11 Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 PM

I took my dd on a trip, just the two of us. But if your dd wants a party, what about less than 12? What would be your limit? Could you have a theatre-themed party? Does your dd write plays? Maybe she and her friends could put on a play?
#3 of 11 Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM

My daughter is turning 14 and this was suggested as something they could do. We're doing something else, but it may interest your daughter.

Do you have a video camera? Could they do a movie shoot? You can probably find some simple one act plays at the library (or online) and they could each be given their part ahead of time, have to come up w/some kind of costume, and then they could act out what they want. They wouldn't have to learn all the lines, unless they wanted to, they could just have the rough script as a guideline. Or they could remake a favourite music video or scene from a movie.

Or parody commercials or do SNL type skits about a favourite show.

Copies of the movie could probably be downloaded to a CD/DVD for them to take home to each have a copy.
#4 of 11 Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you want to think about the play thing still, you can check if there's a university with a theater dept that puts on plays, I just went to one at my school that had fairly cheap tickets, and the performance was good.
#5 of 11 Old 02-04-2008, 05:58 PM

google and see if you can't find someone local willing to do facials or pedicures or even get a mary kay consultant to come in and do facials and make-up for them. You could offer them a flat fee instead of commissions. (They usually make money on the sales) I think 12 girls is a lot unless your other four can go visit grandma for the night
#6 of 11 Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 PM

I wish I had had a special 18th b-day. My present was my aunt saying you're 18 now me: Yeah.... my aunt: go to the store and grab me a pack of marb lights lol

Anyways back to the question, some limousine companies offer cheap rates for a couple of hours. Its always fun to cruise around in a limo.
#7 of 11 Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 AM

we surprised DS on his Birthday and had a stretch Limo pick him up and all his friends and take them to school .. all the parents knew but not the kids .. so it was fun for everyone
#8 of 11 Old 02-05-2008, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This past June I turned 18. I also graduated in the same week!

Anyways, my parets rented a space and we had a massive BBQ of sorts for both occasions. It was a lot of fun and as far as parties go, it wasn't overly expencive!

It may be a bit harder this time of year (especially if you live up here where it's cold) but maybe you can do something simlar? Nothing fancy, just a pile of family and friends over to celebrate.

I hope it helped!

Kris: in love with J "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
Someday it will be my turn!
#9 of 11 Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM

I think the spa idea is awesome. Something where someone comes to the house and pampers the girls.

For my 18th I went out to lunch and shopping with my mom, then had dinner at my (now) in-laws, then went out with my closest girlfriend for piercings (which we made into a yearly affair!)... so as far as parties go, I'm a bit clueless.

For my 16th we took all my friends on a trail ride. That would be fun too if your DD is into horses.
#10 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

well, here's what we've decided, I am still open to other ideas! Her and her friends are going to a local coffeeshop to hear a singer than off to a movie, I'll show up atthe coffee shop and hang out for a bit. Then the next day, a small family get together (just us 7). then on sunday, my girlfriends are coming over, we are going to henna her all over, smudge her, say prayers, and then put together a scrapbook of her first 18 years.

I already went ahead and pierced her nose for her, something she really wanted done, it wasn't hard at all and it actually looks nice. I would consider getting it done, but I work with the amish and mennonite and theywouldn't approve of their midwife with a nose piercing. But it's totally cool for her!
#11 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 AM

Part of my 18th included...
my mom circulated a big book around to EVERYONE who knew me basically and had them write something to me in it. i actually don't know where it is at the moment but that meant the world to me and i still remember what some of the people wrote. this has reminded me to find the book!
FWIW - I also graduated from HS on my 18th b-day so it was a big occasion.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page