Teen weight gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a teen who is trying to gain weight. He is 6ft1 and 175 lbs at 16. He lifts weights eats as healthy as any 16 yr old. Is there a more natural protein or weight gain product thats safe?

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM

why does he want to gain weight....175 sounds like a nice weight for that height, especially for 16. Someone on another board recommended hemp protein powder....you could probably make smoothies with it (use whole milk, yogurt and maybe throw a little vanilla ice cream in along with some berries or something), and have him eat more meats and cheeses.
#3 of 11 Old 02-26-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

why does he want to gain weight..... Football ... defensive end and hopefully starting center on varsity

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#4 of 11 Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM

My dd's freind is using protien shakes and something called Creotine (sp)

He doesn't look any bigger to me though.
#5 of 11 Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 AM

ahhh, I hadn't even thought of football. I found this article for you:

http://att.iparenting.com/teenagers/bigenough.htm
#6 of 11 Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 AM

I have been reading A Fine Young Man by Michael Gurian.
Young men have body image issues too. Steroid use among teenage boys is at an all time high.
I dated a wrestler in high school and they used to do awful things to their bodies...laxatives, starving themselves, then bingeing after weigh-ins. All at the advice of their coaches.
I sure hope it's changed.
#7 of 11 Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
I have been reading A Fine Young Man by Michael Gurian.
Young men have body image issues too. Steroid use among teenage boys is at an all time high.
I dated a wrestler in high school and they used to do awful things to their bodies...laxatives, starving themselves, then bingeing after weigh-ins. All at the advice of their coaches.
I sure hope it's changed.
I dated a wrestler who did the same things. My hubby was a wrestler also, but thankfully, they wanted him at his proper weight so he rarely had to do much of anything different. I don't know that it's any different now. I can remember my boyfriend wearing a rubber suit and running to sweat out all his water weight and then he wouldn't replenish himself with any water. By the end of wrestling season, he always looked like death.
#8 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

We are trying to do the weight gain with weight lifting and healthy foods and maybe some natural supplaments. I really want him to stay away from the creotine stuff it essentially puts water into your muscles and give a false inflated look. He already eats like a horse. He wants to be a physical therapist so hes not in to damaging his body.

#9 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Lots of calories by way of leaner protiens, complex carbs and high fiber veggies is what worked for DH. And of course lots of weight room time. Protien shakes did nothing for him.
#10 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM

Coconut oil and plenty of protein. Hunters know that lean protein will actually lead to "rabbit starvation"-- in other words, if one were to eat only lean meat, they would starve to death (and have). Lean meat is not good for you. To digest and utilize meat it needs to have fat with it. Coconut oil and grass-fed butter are good sources of fats that help digest proteins. My son is very young-- only 3 years old-- but he was very skinny (gut issues) so we started doing a fat-and-protein smoothie every morning-- banana, raw egg yolk, coconut oil, a pat of grass-fed cultured butter, and a dash of cinnamon in a blender. He has put on a good healthy amount of weight (muscle and fat) since we started this in the last several months, and grown about 8 inches in the past year.

Now, another thing to keep in mind is digestion. Anything your body doesn't digest is like junk food to you. So a good probiotic will be helpful, as will raw kombucha (a health-food fermented tea drink. We like GT's brand.)

ETA: Personally, I don't do powdered protein of any kind, as it contains oxidized cholesterol, which leads to several problems including hardening of the arteries. Instead I would add the raw egg yolks to the smoothies instead. Much healthier. If raw egg worries you, go with free-range.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#11 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Just to add I did not mean "only" lean meat. I was just stating that because of the high caloric intake the bulk should not be made up of High fat junk meat. DH's brother went to a high profile college for football and played Defensive End and this is how the coach had his players eat. So DH being in High school adopted this way of eating and working out as well so he could bulk up.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page