Summer Camp-your experiences please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. Hard to believe, but summer is going to come! We're starting to plan, and one of the things that has come up is summer sleep-away camp. My 9 y/o has expressed interest, so we've looked a bit and possibly found one that might fit the bill-primarily a traditional "camp" style environment, single sex, less than 2 hours away. The camp director says that they reccomend at least a two week stay, because the 1st week tends to be a settling in time, and the second the kids are really into the groove of things. So, my dd is excited, I am excited for her, and yet there is a part of me that thinks I must be crazy to even contemplate this! I would miss her so much! Anyone have any thoughts, advice, experience to share? I'd love any input at all.
#2 of 5 Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM

My ds has gone to camp the past two summers, and plans to return this summer. I guess he was 8 yrs old the first summer.. he was gone three weeks..last summer he went for the full 7 weeks. He absolutely loves it.

The camp is less than 10 miles from us, and is owned and run by two brothers, who also teach at our school. one of them is the gym teacher and the other is ds's teacher this year. Also.. there are quite a few local kids there.. allof which make the 7 weeks a breeze for him.. he's actually been saying he's "homesick' for camp.

A little harder on me, I have to admit...Although the camp i close by, we are discourages from visits other than the scheduled "parents weekend" when he comes home for one night..this is not a strict rule, just a suggestion as they find that some kids tend to get more homesick when they're parent show up alot..and for the experience of true camp independence...we try to adhere to that and have found that ds is fine with it. My friends ds goes there too and she goes and gets him to go to the movies etc..
The camp is very rustic and as the campers get older their lodging gets more rustic.. as in lean-tos for the older ones,as they spend most of their summer out camping in the wilderness.

I think that camp is not for everyone, I know ds #2 would not groove to it, but if your child doesn't mind being away from home and isn't the homesick type, there's nothing better...
#3 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 04:52 PM

Out of our five kids, two of them really enjoyed going to camp and ended up as camp counselors when they were in their late teens.
If your child wants to go, by all means, make it happen. I could see my children grow up visibly when they returned from camp. Two weeks is not too long. Make sure to mail lots of cards and boxes while your child is gone - they love getting stuff at mail call!
Camp was a very positive experience for our family!
#4 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 05:20 PM

I loved summer camp as a kid/ teenager. I think it's a great experience for kids to get away for awhile and experience new things, whether it's camp, a summer at a relative's house, or whatever. And I'd agree with the 2-week idea as well; it takes several days just to adjust to being in a new place.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I asked the camp for a reference and just received an e-mail from a woman whose granddaughter has attended for the past 10 summers! I was really pleased that the camp responded so quickly to my request. Do you think that there are other "must ask" questions based on your experiences that I should think about?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page