boys and pierced ears - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 04-03-2008, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
Once my boys are over 18 they can do whatever they want. ... They can do whatever they want to their bodies as long as they are old enough to care for it.
You are saying two things here, though. Is it 18, or is it "old enough to care for it"? Even at 13, I was plenty old enough to follow the instructions after having my ears pierced.

I don't have any boys, but if either of my girls wants her ears pierced, I'll ask her to do some research on how it's done and what the risks are, and use some of her own money to pay for it. I'll probably also wait several months to make sure it's something she really wants and not just a spur-of-the-moment thing. Then, okay with me.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#32 of 50 Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Of my 4 children, only the 19 year old has pierced ears (3 holes). The girls were never interested, & 14 yr old ds is not yet interested. I signed for my oldest to get his first ear piercing since he wanted it (he was 16) . I don't have any opinion at all about it. I really don't care.
#33 of 50 Old 04-03-2008, 03:39 PM

My 13yo wants ears and eyebrow. My concern about eyebrow (and to a lesser degree about boys with earrings) is not that *I* give a hoot... but the reality is that people do get profiled and make assumptions. I'm not sure my kid truly gets that but ultimately I'm sure we'd ok the ears, and eventually the rest but not as soon.
#34 of 50 Old 04-03-2008, 03:46 PM

o
#35 of 50 Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 PM

It's regional, maybe? We've had no negative anything ebcause of the piercings... We live in a town with a University, so maybe that's why? A lot of the kids at the high school have them, and several boys at younger ds' school as well. A couple of the hs boys also have earrings... In fact, one of the mothers used to have a tongue ring...and several have belly button rings.

I didn't even think about it when my ds asked. It didn't register as anything that i needed to be concerned about.
#36 of 50 Old 04-03-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess View Post
My 13yo wants ears and eyebrow. My concern about eyebrow (and to a lesser degree about boys with earrings) is not that *I* give a hoot... but the reality is that people do get profiled and make assumptions. I'm not sure my kid truly gets that but ultimately I'm sure we'd ok the ears, and eventually the rest but not as soon.
Also, any facial piercing would have to come out in order for him to participate in a sport, and this increases risk of closing up, infection, etc.
#37 of 50 Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 AM

UUMom...wanna know something frightening...it is a college town too!!! YIKES!!! Granted a small college, but there is still a progressive group of people that are around. Our circle of friends that are profs at the college and the artist around town have no problem with it. Some of the other adults in town, the ones that grew up here and never moved away, are the ones that seem to.

We've talked with him about how people judge you by how you look, not who you are. It is something as a family we strive to be aware of and put a stop to it if it starts to happen within our dynamic. He had a green mohawk a couple of years ago and said "Man, like people have never seen someone with hair that is different. And WHY do they always want to touch it!??"
#38 of 50 Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM

Maybe we have been so not mainstream for so long I no longer notice disaproval. It could be people are judging us...but if a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears...and all.
#39 of 50 Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 AM

I'm with you -- it's his body and they're just earlobes

After a couple months of asking, we (his dad, his dad's girlfriend, me and my boyfriend) took my son to have both his ears pierced for his eighth birthday, in April '05. Within a year, he got sick of taking them out and putting them back in for sports, that he just started leaving them out :P
#40 of 50 Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 AM

My DS got his ears pierced for his 11th birthday. He did a good job keeping them clean, but he was way too anxious to change them out. he did so too soon and one of them had a really hard time healing properly. Then last summer, about a year later, he took them both out by his own choice.

All that being said, I'd let him (or any of my other kids) get them done again.
#41 of 50 Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Do some research (or better yet, have him do it) on properly caring for piercings (look for something advocating leaving it the heck alone, and toss out anything mentioning twisting the jewelry or using alcohol... both advocated by these gun piercing shops, I will let you do your research and figure out why these are bad), and google "piercing guns". You'll want them done at a professional shop as a gun is not sterilizable and creates a tear instead of a healable "tube". You might have trouble even finding a reputable shop that will pierce a minor (even with consent) so that might hinder the process anyway.

Don't assume that lobe piercings aren't permanent, either. All of my gun-pierced holes have massive scarring... even my lobes. I wouldn't assume that stretching the holes (small) would be permanent either. It depends on your body.
#42 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 08:37 AM

No problem for me. If it's ok for girls then it's ok for boys. Anything else is just sexist - it IS that simple. Only 3 conditions.
They are old enough to care for it themselves.
They remove it for contact sport.
They get it done in clean sterile environment (no I wouldn't do it for them myself) and I would go with them.

Tongue piercing - NO adamantly NO.
Reason? One accident and they could smash the crowns of 1 or 2 teeth. Result: excruciating pain and months of truamatic, painful and expensive surgery. Yes, it does happen.
bellybutton or other body piercing - they won't do it here before 16 anyway as full growth hasn't been done before that and the skin can stretch and split but at 16 they're not children any more anyway.
Long hair - again, if a girl can have it a guy can too. BUT it should be clean and well looked after.
Remember, piercings aren't like tatoos, they're not permanent and can be removed.
#43 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
Do some research (or better yet, have him do it) on properly caring for piercings (look for something advocating leaving it the heck alone, and toss out anything mentioning twisting the jewelry or using alcohol... both advocated by these gun piercing shops, I will let you do your research and figure out why these are bad), and google "piercing guns". You'll want them done at a professional shop as a gun is not sterilizable and creates a tear instead of a healable "tube". You might have trouble even finding a reputable shop that will pierce a minor (even with consent) so that might hinder the process anyway.
Just have to say I would be just fine with it. My 12 yo has no interest and gave me quite a hard time when i got my navel pierced, lol, but i think my younger 2 might have a different idea on this when the time comes.
as for other piercings im pretty much fine with that too, although i want them to be grown enough to really make a good decision before getting into some of the extensive facial piercings, but i have a feeling they would be older before having and interest in that anyways

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#44 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 PM

I can answer just about any questions about piercings. I have some of the more unusual ones. (Ask me about my pierced forearms!) Lobes are pretty easy to heal up if you decide you don't want them anymore. I had mine up to 00 the first time they were pierced, and they completely closed when i took them out. Now I have them at an inch, and they will close up most of the way, but never completely again. I have no problems with kids getting their lobes pierced.

I would be concerned about an eyebrow piercing on kids however. The skin there is exceptionally thin, and even if it is treated very well there is a good chance it will reject and if not removed quickly will scar. And with the way kids are sometimes, it would be very easy to rip out.
#45 of 50 Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 AM

i have 8 piercings (7 ears (including cartilage) and navel) and have always healed beautifully, my 19 year old brother has one (eyebrow) and has had it since he was 16. he used to have two in the eyebrow, but he took one out when it didn't heal right, and he had his nipple done for about a year and took it out when he didn't like it anymore. both the second eyebrow and the nipple healed up fine.

tips:

-make sure the piercing is done at a studio by a professional piercer, don't do any of that hair salon or jewelry store stuff. piercing guns aren't safe - they can't be autoclaved and therefore are never sterile, they also do some serious tissue damage. needles are better. the actual needle used to pierce is always brand new (they're one time use) and the instruments used to drive the needle are surgical grade steel and can be sterilized in an autoclave.
-tour the studio before the piercing is done. they should be more than willing to do this, if they're not, leave. get them to show you the autoclave and the unopened needles and gloves. if you want you can ask to see the piercer's portfolio.
-natural astringents like tea tree oil, lemon juice, and sea salt (all diluted in water) are good for cleaning and promote healing.
-don't use anything alcohol based on an unhealed piercing.
-if you have to use a soap surgical soap is best. in absence of that spectro gel is good. you can get it at any drugstore, it's actually a non-soap based cleaning gel.
-do not touch it, the second you hear someone mention spinning it, run away. if it must be touched wash hands first. make sure to rinse it in the shower after washing hair because shampoo can get all up in there.
-remember that piercings can take 6 months to a year to fully heal. lobes don't tend to take this long though.

in my province you can get pierced at any age with a parent present (they even ask for ID to make sure they're actually your parents), and the age of consent for piercings without a parent present is 16. when my brother went to get his eyebrow at 16 i told him "ask if they pierce minors alone and if they say yes then leave even though you're old enough" reason: if they're willing to pierce a minor without express parental permission i don't trust them to use proper cleaning and other practices, because their ethics are obviously dubious at best.
#46 of 50 Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 AM

my oldest ds (10) has had his done 2x, at his request. The first time, his teacher took it out and told him it was infected yet, by the time he got home that afternoon, it was fine, no redness or irritation. I think she just didn't like it and advised her not to touch my sons ear again.

He wanted it redone for his bday so we took him to get it done again.

I think as long as the child is responsible enough to care for it, then why not? I wouldn't agree to any other piercings until he's older but that's just me. I don't like eyebrow piercings, they just aren't attractive and they can either grow out or get pulled out too easily.
#47 of 50 Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post

Don't assume that lobe piercings aren't permanent, either. All of my gun-pierced holes have massive scarring... even my lobes. I wouldn't assume that stretching the holes (small) would be permanent either. It depends on your body.
word to all of this!!
#48 of 50 Old 05-08-2008, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaisha View Post
tips:

-make sure the piercing is done at a studio by a professional piercer, don't do any of that hair salon or jewelry store stuff. piercing guns aren't safe - they can't be autoclaved and therefore are never sterile, they also do some serious tissue damage. needles are better. the actual needle used to pierce is always brand new (they're one time use) and the instruments used to drive the needle are surgical grade steel and can be sterilized in an autoclave.
-tour the studio before the piercing is done. they should be more than willing to do this, if they're not, leave. get them to show you the autoclave and the unopened needles and gloves. if you want you can ask to see the piercer's portfolio.
-natural astringents like tea tree oil, lemon juice, and sea salt (all diluted in water) are good for cleaning and promote healing.
-don't use anything alcohol based on an unhealed piercing.
-if you have to use a soap surgical soap is best. in absence of that spectro gel is good. you can get it at any drugstore, it's actually a non-soap based cleaning gel.
-do not touch it, the second you hear someone mention spinning it, run away. if it must be touched wash hands first. make sure to rinse it in the shower after washing hair because shampoo can get all up in there.
-remember that piercings can take 6 months to a year to fully heal. lobes don't tend to take this long though.

in my province you can get pierced at any age with a parent present (they even ask for ID to make sure they're actually your parents), and the age of consent for piercings without a parent present is 16. when my brother went to get his eyebrow at 16 i told him "ask if they pierce minors alone and if they say yes then leave even though you're old enough" reason: if they're willing to pierce a minor without express parental permission i don't trust them to use proper cleaning and other practices, because their ethics are obviously dubious at best.
All really good points.

I am willing to let boys do what girls can do and vice versa. I consider lobe piercings to be non-permanent and not a big deal. I'm going to discourage permanent body mods until a kid is 18. I don't think that tats or stretching is a good idea for a minor. You have no idea what kind of adult you will be yet and getting pigeonholed that young is terrible.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#49 of 50 Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 PM

I'm only against him getting only "one" ear pierced. If he is going to do it, he should get both

I have known young boys with their ears pierced, and I think it looks great, particularly with small hoops.
#50 of 50 Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 AM

my kids got them done at the same time. I think he was 8 and she was 7.
I don't see why the rules should be any different for boys than girls.

for intuitive readings click here :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page