Social Skills Activities x posted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I have a 14 yo with Aspergers Syndrome that will be doing cyber schooling next year. Because he will not regularly be in an environment with his peer group I am hunting down fun social things that he can do to still maintain connections with kids his own age. We are going to do Tae Kwon Do on Friday nights and he is joining a boy scouths troupe that a close friend of his is already enrolled in. Can you guys and gals think of anything else?
TIA,
Michelle

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM

I have a 15yo ds who has always been 'quircky'. All my kids agree none of us is 'normal', but we never go to the doc...so no diag.

Anyway, he is in scouts and had done judo before...thats been good. In scouts back when he started at 11yo, there were a few episodes where he really freaked out the adults -but they all know him well now, he never gives them any trouble & they think he is great. He is senior patrol leader for the whole troop now, and heading off to camp this weekend for 3 weeks to be a councilor in training. Being him, he interacts with the adults more than the kids

He has always been homeschooled, and since about age 12 he pretty much has decided for himself to be involved in real world grown-up activities as opposed to organized youth activities.

He volunteers at the Art Center for concerts & plays (has been in some plays).
He plays guitar with young adults at the music store.
He rides mountain and road bikes with adults - in races & 2 different clubs - almost daily...he's off doing that right now.

He would not do well in a school environment - though he would get himself all worked up and miserable trying....and become self-defeatist.

As it is, he fits in fine in the real world - he's confident & comfortable in his own skin - even though we sometimes have to point out how awkward or 'negative' he come off to others.You know the first impression thing He can be so oblivious that someone is trying to engage him in conversation LOL!

Anyway, my point is that he gets a lot more possitive practice in social skills in real world mixed age activities and volunteering...rather than something like a group sport or 'teen social' type thing. They can pick up alot of negative social that have no application outside high school though!

As a homeschooler.....don't think you have to replicate school for him!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. You brought up a really great point about the mixed age events. Ben loves to hang out with older teens and adults, and they are usually pleasantly surprised at how fun it is to be with him. So I will keep that kind of thing in mind too. Thanks!!!!

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 05-29-2008, 03:36 PM

I agree with the mixed age suggestion. What is important is that he has positive social experiences - not that he has social experiences with 14 year olds. A couple of things I'd suggest are looking for an adult mentor - an older relative or neighbor ideally who shares a common interest.

Kids, especially those with social challenges, don't tend to make friends in groups or sports. They do better with one on one get togethers.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:36 AM

My son, 17 is similar. He started paintballing at 14 and loves the scenario games. He is now reallyi nto airsofting. He likes high adventure stuff and will do a canoe tripand white water kayaking with scouts this summer. He sill does a lot with the family , we are taking several family adventures this summer. Mixed ages have always worked the best for him. This fall I plan to set up volunteering around his interests which are history. He also likes to blog a lot about his interests which include cars, gaming, and the airsoft stuff. He has enjoyed SCA but his current passion is airsofting. He travels 2.5 hours one way on Saturday. His buddy who is 20 goes with him now as he is back from college. We have fantastic discussions about current events, phiolosophy,etc.He enjoyed sculpture class which was combined with 3D desgin class and plans to take design fundamentals class in the fall. Sallie

User Tag List