Yourself as a teen?.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there anything that you have done as a teenager that you would never repeat now as an adult?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 02:47 PM

Is this a trick question? LOL

Yea, theres a lot.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#3 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 02:51 PM

I was very shy as a teen - never dated, didn't go to parties. I can remember the exact moment all my friends were going out after the 8th grade semiformal and I just wanted to go home.

I don't know if I would change it and go to parties and date if I had it to do over...
#4 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitions View Post

Yea, theres a lot.
: spill it out.. no trick, just curiousity!

#5 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 03:05 PM

No, not really. For one thing, I was a "good teen" and for another, I don't regret or feel bad about the "bad" things I did. They were all good experiences for me.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#6 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Uhm, "borrowing" my mom's car before I had a license. That went less than spectacularly. I only got caught because I came out of a lighted parking garage at night and didn't notice that the lack of headlights. Rats.

Oh, and I would have been differently selective as far as sex partners goes. My priorities were not in good places.

Otherwise I didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, and I had good grades (when I went to school).

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#7 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
I was very shy as a teen - never dated, didn't go to parties. I can remember the exact moment all my friends were going out after the 8th grade semiformal and I just wanted to go home.

I don't know if I would change it and go to parties and date if I had it to do over...
That was me.

#8 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 03:21 PM

I skipped school, smoked a lot, purposely alienated myself from my peers, got poor grades even though I was plenty smart enough to do the work and never asked the guy I was madly in love with if he wanted to go out.
#9 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
I was very shy as a teen - never dated, didn't go to parties.
Yeah that!
I don't regret it. I started dating at 17 with my DH and um that's all.
#10 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 04:19 PM

ummm... everything?

luckily I turned out okay in spite of myself. It's nice to be able to say that. my brother was the same way. He's 19 now and starting to grow up. Gives me the confidence to help moms of teens when they worry about their kids' futures because of the way they act at 14, 15... I'm just like "It's oooookaaaay, breathe! breathe!" lol!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#11 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 05:58 PM

I prefer not to think about it. LOL
I was a very dark child. Anxious, depressed, socially apprehensive, and worrying about things a child has no business trying to carry.

About age 16 I became a bit more socially confident and rebelled a bit, met dh, fell madly in love and got married just shy of my 18th bday. Would I do anything different.

Other than not living with my mom and step-dad, no. A lot of my problems were related to my home life.

I cut a lot of classes (excused by my mom to care for her and I had serious eating and anxiety issues) So other than could those times have been the "best" years of my life...I wouldn't change anything other than how I suffered those years, but that was formative and has made me the empathetic, insightful person that I am now and have been able to help a lot of kids because of it and we are still happily married and I hate to think if I did something differently (like go to a dif. school for college or postpone marriage) that I wouldn't have the family I love having so much today.
#12 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM

Oh dear g*d! I did so many stupid and illegal things as a teen. I was also a private school (good) student, accomplished athlete, great family girl from a fabulous family, wonderful friends, etc. I had/have a really GOOD life. Yet...I still did the whole teen rebellion thing and it's a miracle, quite frankly, that I escaped unscathed. I only got arrested once and it was when I was still 17 so I got SOOO lucky. That was my wakeup call for sure and I never did anything illegal again. I was just being a crazy teen rebel - I had no need or interest to alter the course of my life. Sometimes I can hardly believe the things I did...I guess it really is true that teen brains are not fully developed.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#13 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 08:29 PM

Spill it
!!
LOL

well, I stole a LOT of stuff, got admitted into a pshy hospital for cutting myself, drove the car to town when I was 12 years old, had sex a lot, lied about 10000 times to my parents, smoked, drank, dated a 29 year old man when i was 17...whew thats enough.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#14 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Spill it
!!
LOL

well, I stole a LOT of stuff, got admitted into a pshy hospital for cutting myself, drove the car to town when I was 12 years old, had sex a lot, lied about 10000 times to my parents, smoked, drank, dated a 29 year old man when i was 17...whew thats enough.
Well, I'm scard to spill it because my user name and siggy are too identifiable to other Seattleites and others from my profession are on MDC Don't want to mar my professional image. LOL!

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#15 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 PM

I was mostly a bookworm and reader.
#16 of 61 Old 05-31-2008, 10:36 PM

Well, I generally feel that we learn from all that we do, but there are many things I look back on and think "Ahhh man, I had no clue..."

I wouldn't have given in to the idea that I HAD to date/hook up/have relationships so young just because "everyone else does' or "that's what teenagers are supposed to do".

I wouldn't have put up with so much BS from people or so called "friends".

I wouldn't have stayed in school as long as I did

I wish I could have enjoyed my relationship with my mom more when I was that age.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#17 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 02:33 AM

I dated an alocholic that was 7 years older than me. I focused more time/energy on him than my education. I left him after 4 years instead of continuing to be miserable or making the situation worse by bringing children into the relationship.

I drank, ditched school, didn't try hard in my classes, didn't get along with my parents, ran away from home. I was a mess. I really hope my kids are different.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#18 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 03:08 AM

oh boy. i had my son when i was 17, and though a lot of idiotic behavior led to that happening, i wouldn't change it for the world.

blogging.jpg 
#19 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Is there anything that you have done as a teenager that you would never repeat now as an adult?
Too much to remember. And too bad to recount on the internet.
#20 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 AM

I would have done better in school. And maybe put myself in foster care.
#21 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 AM

Yes. I was a nightmare teen (classically over-the-edge, yet at the same time ridiculously, overprotected by my parents.) Not a good mix. The one thing I really wish is that I'd got a handle on my depression earlier and got some serious, intensive treatment for it as a teenager before leaving home for university. That would have made a big difference to my life. Everything else I survived.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#22 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Promiscuous Party Girl!
I was voted Class Partier my senior year. Not exactly one to put on your C.V.!
Thank God the internet and MySpace didn't exist.
I would have done it all differently. I had fun but wasted lots of time, money and brain cells.
It was fun. And I have a great life now.
OK, I wouldn't change everything. I would have only smoked dope on the weekends, applied myself in school, played a sport and stayed a virgin until I was in love.
#23 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 06:27 PM

It is really hard for me to pinpoint exactly what I would change. Almost every decision that I made from age 11 until 19-20. However, if not for the horrific things that I experienced and saw, I would not be the person I am today. I was not the classic "bad girl", I went above and beyond bad.

I hope and pray that my children do not go through a percentage of what I did.
#24 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
OK, I wouldn't change everything. I would have only smoked dope on the weekends,

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#25 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 08:39 PM

The only thing I regret from my teen years was the one thing that got me arrested. And no it wasn't DUI.
#26 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
My biggest teenage regret was leaving thailand to go back to high school in canada. I was in recovery from an eating disorder that I'd had all my teen years, and convinced my parents to let me leave school temporarily to volunteer for a month in Thailand... they thought at that time that I was pretty much over my eating disorder, but it was very much still alive. I remember visiting the bathroom several times in the airplane on the way over there Very Jane Fonda of me, eh

Going to thailand and volunteering was the best thing I could have done and for me, better than my years of therapy. The entire time I was there I ate healthy and rarely thought of food, weight or any of those issues. My confidence in myself really strengthened and it really helped me find myself again as a person seperate from eating disorders. Anyway, my biggest regret was leaving too soon. I really did NOT want to leave, in fact I wanted to stay there for a year. I cried when I left, but I felt I had no choice but to go back and finish high school, as I only had one semester left and I was already a year and a half behind due to dropping out to rehab from my eating disorder. Now I know better, and feel it would have been fine to put off high school even longer, or even not finish it if I didnt want to.

I really think if I could have stayed there longer I would have developed more strength in myself and it would have done me a helluva lot better than high school did. I relapsed when I got home Several months after being home, i got pregnant. So, while that was technically the best thing to ever happen to me... and I haven't had an eating issues since then... now that I have a baby its going to be a while before I can do that sort of thing again, I always think back on it fondly and wonder what would have become of me if I stayed longer. Of course, everything happens for a reason though.

I made tons, tons, tons of other mistakes and negative judgements as a teen but I mostly feel they all shaped me into who I am today and while they hurt at the time, I'm stronger for it today in some ways (still recovering in other ways)... that even includes getting arrested, which turned into a positive thing for me believe it or not. I mostly regret the thailand thing because I felt at the time like I had to live up to society's expectations for me, and staying in thailand wasn't it. I wish I would have listened to and trusted myself.
#27 of 61 Old 06-01-2008, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I hadn't cared so much about the opinions of people who cared nothing about me.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#28 of 61 Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Yea, theres a lot.
ha ha ha! I was thinking the same thing.

uhhh, let's see. Yes I would not have sex at 15, skipped school, partied so hard, been so defiant, followed everything my so-called friends were doing (where are they now?), slept over with those same friends and snuck out of their house and walked the streets all night long, stayed with the same boyfriend for many years and allowed him to verbally abuse me, and the list goes on....

I would have finished high school, gone to a good college and hopefully gotten married much earlier and started having kids earlier. Oh and I would have gotten a degree and made something of myself. Now I'm currently struggling to get through college in my 40's. It's very tough.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#29 of 61 Old 06-02-2008, 12:39 PM

I had severe depression as a teen, stayed in bed most of the time for years, and hated school (I'd hated school since 1st grade, but it just got worse and worse). I was too depressed and anxious to eat much, so I was always exhausted and never felt very good. It was mostly due to my home situation and it's all been uphill since I moved out at 19.

Yes, I would change everything! If only I could go back and tell myself that I didn't have to be trapped and hopeless.. I should have taken care of my body, dropped out of HS at 16, gotten my GED, a job, and an apartment and started my 'real life'. I could have done it easily, I wasted years I didn't have to.

Luckily I didn't drink, do drugs or have risky sex during this time.. I was too depressed to do anything except sleep, read and watch tv.

However because of the way things worked out I met my BF, who is my next-door neighbor.. I wouldn't change anything if it means I wouldn't have met him.
#30 of 61 Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM

OK - I wish I had taken a few more risks. I was a really good kid!

I would have gone more places the summer I had the Fiat Spider convertible from my Dad and taken the hard top off. My Dad put the fear of breakdowns in me and said the car only had so many miles in it and if I used them up, that would be it! I only drove it to and from work. I would have taken it to Fire Island to see James Taylor. And I really should have taken the hard top off it.

In college - I wish I'd tried pot?! I spent my free time in basements playing D&D. I wish I had gone on a few more trips - road trips, bus trips, etc. I was always too practical, too busy, too poor. There was a march in Washington that I should have gone on. And a road trip for live gaming that I'm still sorry I missed.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page