Face Cleaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-21-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some suggestions for a mild face cleaner for my pre-teen son. He is starting to get just little white head like bumps under his nose and asked me to get something for him. I use Aubrey but was not sure if that would be ok for him. Any ideas???
#2 of 22 Old 06-21-2008, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was a big fan of witch hazel and peppermint oil coctail after you wash with a clear glycern (sp) like nutrogena (sp) (sorry about the spelling errors, brain's broken)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 22 Old 06-21-2008, 09:40 PM

DD uses Clearasil pads every night before bed. She also uses a facial mask once in a while. So far, her skin has been pimple free (thank goodness) but many of her friends have tons of acne.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#4 of 22 Old 06-21-2008, 10:04 PM

I use clean and clear morning burst stuff.
#5 of 22 Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 PM

The J.A.S.O.N line and the Avalon Organics line at the grocery stores have some very good products. They're a bit pricey, but when used properly should last a long time.

Peppermint oil can be quite irritating to some types of skin IME.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#6 of 22 Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 PM

I use Aubrey Organics stuff, and I have had acne since I was 9. I like the sensitive skin or #6 line of their facial products *but* I'm dealing with aging skin at the same time as acne. I would not recommend this brand for teen skin unless you also did some hormone balancing supplement for male teens. I love Aubrey, but they use too many natural oils in their products for me. I would stick to natural brands vs. regular store brands because they are usually too harsh or have lots of yucky chemicals. If you look some up online a lot of times they will send you a trial size at little or no cost, or send a coupon!

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#7 of 22 Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM

Cetaphil is a good non-drying cleanser and it is very gentle and great for sensitive skin.

Also the products by Clinique are great IMO. They don't have any fragrances. They have cleansers for oily skin which contain salicylic acid or cleansers for regular skin which don't have that... depending on how oily and sensitive his skin is.

Probably either a salicylic acide of benzoyl peroxide treatment are what you'd want to use for that problem. Obviously neither of those is "organic" but your post didn't seem to specifically request that...
#8 of 22 Old 06-23-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. I would like to stick to a natural line of cleansers, but find that the Aubrey is a little oily for me so thought I'd see what else may work for others! His skin is not really too oily yet!!! I may try honey. If he starts out with that...his skin may not get to be a problem. Here's hoping!!! Thanks mama's!!!!!
#9 of 22 Old 06-25-2008, 12:37 AM

Another vote for Cetaphil.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#10 of 22 Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM

I wash my face with raw honey and started having ds do the same when I noticed the little white heads. As long as he uses it daily the bumps stay away.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#11 of 22 Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Yep, I have heard good things about honey for acne-prone skin.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#12 of 22 Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 PM

Dessert Essence makes tea tree oil pads that are just like clearasil pads. I've heard from two different parents how well they work for new oily teen skin, that the kids don't mind (they are easier than soap and water) and they can see all the dirt coming off of their skin. I've used them and they seem kind of strong, but they have never irritated my sensitive skin. You can find them reasonably cheap, too.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#13 of 22 Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM

Oil cleanse method is something to think about:

http://beauty-treatments.suite101.co...eansing_method
#14 of 22 Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMom View Post
Cetaphil is a good non-drying cleanser and it is very gentle and great for sensitive skin.

Also the products by Clinique are great IMO. They don't have any fragrances. They have cleansers for oily skin which contain salicylic acid or cleansers for regular skin which don't have that... depending on how oily and sensitive his skin is.

Probably either a salicylic acide of benzoyl peroxide treatment are what you'd want to use for that problem. Obviously neither of those is "organic" but your post didn't seem to specifically request that...
I have been in the cosmetics industry for a while and am also a cosmetologist, and i must say, Clinique is absolutely the worst line, probably in the entire universe. They are filled with harsh detergents and things like mineral oil and petroleum. They use cheap chemicals and their "toners" are basically pure rubbing alcohol. Absolutely horrendous.
The best thing is to use an organic skin care line, such as jason, aubrey, burts bees, etc.
Also a good book, is "dont go to the cosmetics counter without me". it is mainstream, but she reviews every product from every cosmetics line, breaks down the ingredients and what they do. She also reviews some organic lines. fyi...she hates clinique because of the ingredients they use.

Cetaphil, contrary to pop belief, is not gentle. its base is sodium lareth sulfate. This can make oily people produce even more oil as it strips everything from the skin.

DS 5-11-06
#15 of 22 Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 PM

oh yes, the oil cleansing method about twice a week has done wonders for my blackheads!

DS 5-11-06
#16 of 22 Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 PM

Target makes a generic Proactive which is located right next to the regular Proactive for a fraction of the cost. This stuff works great and is very gentle on skin.
#17 of 22 Old 06-28-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ok..he is doing the honey! Says it's great that he can lick his lips and not worry about what is on them!!! :nana: So far, so good. The little white heads at his nose are gone! Thanks for all the suggestions!
#18 of 22 Old 06-29-2008, 02:02 PM

DS uses a mix of baking soda (to exfoliate) and honey. he scrubs his face and rinses it off. i was thinking of having him use a vinegar/TTO/LavendarO mix for a toner.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#19 of 22 Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 PM

I remember my younger brother realizing that his face was in better shape when he washed his pillowcase more often. (We were responsible for our own laundry.)

This is just another idea to go along with face washing.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#20 of 22 Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 PM

My son uses Nature's Cure. I haven't investigated it too much, but from what I did read it was pretty good. Therefore, he's been using it and so far so good. It works better than what the dermatologist gave us (for acne on his back). His face is pretty much clear for the most part, but sometimes he will get a zit here or there. His back has shown a great improvement, no scarring, and the dermatologist assured me he would grow out of it (his father had the same issue at the same age and his back was clear by the time he was 18

Check it out and see if it's something you would like to try. BTW, I think it's great that more and more young boys are trying to take care of their skin and avoid acne. Back in the day, acne was considered "normal" and a lot of boys got scarred from teenage acne (that's sad). This causes a whole lot of different problems psychologically!! I know when I was growing up, I had no one to teach me how to take care of my skin, but fortunately, I did not have acne problems. That's why as soon as my son found his first zit, I was taking him to the dermatologist and teaching him face care.
#21 of 22 Old 07-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I remember my younger brother realizing that his face was in better shape when he washed his pillowcase more often. (We were responsible for our own laundry.)

This is just another idea to go along with face washing.
Yessssssss...good thinking, Mommajb! I forgot about that. My son uses white pillow cases and has to change his every other night!! My husband does this, as well. I'm too lazy to do that, though...hehe However, I do change my sheets every Sunday
#22 of 22 Old 07-19-2008, 11:14 PM

my 10 yr old started with the little bumps recently too. she washes at night with a little scrubby pad (softer than a loofah) and soap. in the morning she uses the desert essence tea tree oil pads. it's easy for her to do before school and when she uses them every day i notice the bumps go away.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page