Is 13 too young to get a nose piercing? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Should I let my 13yr.old pierce her nose?
Yes, why not? 86 36.91%
No. Please explain why not. 130 55.79%
Other. Please explain. 17 7.30%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 07-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
but a lot of children DO have sex very early on these days and getting a nose ring is one thing that can be done to attract other people to them.

You can't possibly think that because you willingly go with your child and allow them to get a piercing or tattoo while they are still a child that it will keep them from wanting to have sex early. Give me a break. I wanted nothing to do with tattoos and didn't even have my ears pierced when I started having sex at the age of 14.

I wasn't saying that going with them to get a piercing would keep them from having sex, what I am saying is that there are *worse* things than a nose ring, or things that you might dislike your child to do more than a nose ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 110 Old 07-15-2008, 11:37 AM

I am usually the type to let a kid make their own decisions when it comes to their bodies but I would say "No, you need to wait until you're older" with this one.

Why?

Because I have a ton of friends who had their nose pierced. I don't think any of them where a nose ring now (isn't it sort of a dated look anyway?) yet they all have a little hole left over in their nose that they hate. So because of the permanent damage it can do to a body, I would say that a child had to be older before making a decision like this.

Same with tattoos.
#93 of 110 Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyD View Post
I said no. It's her nose, and at that age she's ready to start making decisions like that. I would not let a 13 year-old get a tattoo, but that's permanent. A nose piercing closes up.

See, I disagree about it closing up. I just posted that I know several women pals of mine who really hate that they still have a hole in their nose.

Also, I haven't worn earrings in something like 15 years, yet I still have holes in my ears.
#94 of 110 Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 AM

An unused nose piercing looks like a giant blackhead!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#95 of 110 Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas for the variety of opinions! And... for making this the best responded-to thread of mine EVER!

Health and safety were my first concerns, concerns I am well aware of as a pierced (well, not so much anymore, but...) and tattooed woman. Dd13 is mature enough to take care of it and its something she's been asking for for at least a year. And, again, I have no moral compunction about this. And....being the nonconformist that I am (although I never pierced my face, except for my tongue), I'm of the f*ck society mindset. I really don't think that she'll not get a job because of her nose stud; she can take it out for work if necessary. If she gets grief from people because of this choice, then that's actually a pretty good lesson to learn at a young age in a relatively harmless way (especially harmless because its something SHE can change if it bothers her). She can make her own decisions about what she is comfortable with...

From what I can tell, the shops that I would give business to in the town I live will not pierce her before she's 16. I took her with me recently to a parlor ('cuz I'm scheming on my next tattoo) and asked about it in front of her so I'm not the bad guy . She seemed to accept it with, "man, nobody my age can do ANYTHING." While I think that 16 isn't necessarily "law" in this state, and I'm sure I could find a place in the city near me that would meet my standards and do it, I'm not going to search hard. As she gets older, if its something she really continues wanting, I'll find a solution before she does it herself.

Again - thanks everyone! Can I say again that I was really really excited to have one of MY threads go 5 pages!! (yes, i'm clearly also a dork.)

P.S. I've also learned NOT to attach rewards or extras other than the ability to play sports to grades. Duly noted.
#96 of 110 Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post
Furthermore, are we seriously using potential unemployment at amusement parks as reasons to not allow a nose piercing?
Exactly this. I have my nose pierced, have had it since I was about 20. Since that time, I have worked for the Opera, worked at an attorney's office, worked in non-profit management and raised hundreds of thousands of dollars from individual and foundations (lots of face to face meetings). The fact that I can't work at Burger King or the movie theater or Disney making $7-8/hour is no skin off my teeth. If you have the skills and don't live in a very conservative place, having a small nose piercing is not going to impact your employment options. I have friends with similar piercings that are in just about every professional field. Our old pediatrician has one even, it is getting to be a non-issue.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#97 of 110 Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
Many/most retail establishments (apart from Hot Topic, etc) don't allow more than two piercings per ear when at work.
in the health care field, facial piercings (eyebrow, nose, lip, etc) have to be removed, or covered up (bandaid) while working.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#98 of 110 Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 AM

mY DAUGHTER HAS PIERECED HER OWN ear several times in the last few years (she is now 15) It never lasts more than a few days. Sallie
#99 of 110 Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I voted incorrectly due to misunderstanding the wording. I meant yes- I would allow it. And I did! My Dd got her nose pierced at 13 and her naval pierced at 14. She is now considering doing a high cartilage piercing on her ear. She likes the look. We research and we have an excellent piercer that helps us understand things very clearly.

My job isn't to tell her what she can do with her own body. My job, IMO, is to help her understand what she's thinking of doing, to find info on it, get educated on the risks, and how to best avoid them. With all the info she can decide, with my gentle presence, if it's the best decision for her or not.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#100 of 110 Old 07-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I voted incorrectly due to misunderstanding the wording. I meant yes- I would allow it. And I did! My Dd got her nose pierced at 13 and her naval pierced at 14. She is now considering doing a high cartilage piercing on her ear. She likes the look. We research and we have an excellent piercer that helps us understand things very clearly.

My job isn't to tell her what she can do with her own body. My job, IMO, is to help her understand what she's thinking of doing, to find info on it, get educated on the risks, and how to best avoid them. With all the info she can decide, with my gentle presence, if it's the best decision for her or not.
I totally agree. My dd has asked to get a lip piercing when she turns 13 and told her to discuss it with the piercer (who is my dp) and he has agreed to do it for her if she shows she can take care of an easier piercing first.
#101 of 110 Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM

If it's legal, ok with the dress code, yada yada yada and she really wants it and can take care of it, I say sure. I'm typically quite conservative about this kind of thing, but I admit nose piercings can be really attractive on some people, and I know some cultures pierce noses way younger than 13.

I would rather she be in high school (which is the case for some 13yo's) because I think the attitude toward it would be tempered by the additional (relative) maturity of the community there, but in general I still would make the decision based on my DD, her maturity, etc., just as I'm sure you will.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#102 of 110 Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
An unused nose piercing looks like a giant blackhead!

You're right about that! I hope anyone that is 13 will keep that in mind.
#103 of 110 Old 09-24-2008, 01:33 PM

As a body piercer, we pierce teens age 13 and up. The nose piercing is a great piercing for young girls as long as they take care of it properly. The nose is pierced with very small jewelry, so if at any time your daughter decides she no longer wants the piercing, it will heal up nicely. It is very rare that a visable scar is left from a nose piercing. Any visable scar or bump left from a piercing was caused by wearing jewelry that was too big (which leaves a bigger hole) or from the piercing being infected ("the bump"). We acually pierce many mother/daughters together for this piercing. If you would like more information about piercing aftercare, please visit my website (click on my name to the left). By the way, the girl pictured on the website with a hoop in her nose is my 18 year old daughter and I pierced her nose when she was 13.
#104 of 110 Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 AM

I say it is too young. My daughter, now 15 has been piercing herself since age 13. Currenly, she has a lipnring. She has to take it out for volleyball. It seems to be a rebellion thing. She willwear it in onservative situations and then omplian that people are judging her. I willnot approve any more piercings as a monor. She has 5 ear and had belly pierced at 14 and that lasted a very short time. I prefer the expression of changing hair color frequetly. Sallie
#105 of 110 Old 09-28-2008, 01:51 AM

For DD our rule is nothing more than one hole in each ear until whe turns 18. The issue hasn't come up for DSs, but the rule will be the same if they decide to pierce their ears.

Justine, wife to DH :cop:, mom to DS(14) :, DD(13) and DS(8)
#106 of 110 Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
No. A reputable piercer will not pierce a minor with or without consent. I will not go to a shop that pierces minors. She rips that thing out somehow, snagged on a towel whatever (done it), and suddenly its your fault. Why not wait until she's old enough to sign for herself.. she can go to an excellent shop, research the piercing and how to care for it properly, and everybody rests easy.
I wanted my nose pierced when I was 15.. waited until I hit 18, signed for myself.. what a right of passage. I still have it.
I disagree. I got my eyebrow pierced at 16 at a reputable piercing shop. I had my ds with me and the guy figured if I was old enough to be a parent, I was old enough to get a piercing.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#107 of 110 Old 10-07-2008, 04:26 PM

It would depend on a few things. Why does my DC want one? Are they mature enough to take on a responsibility like that? Do they know the health issues?
#108 of 110 Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 PM

I have a small nose piercing and it's funny that you mention it looks like a giant blackhead. No lie, the hole is smaller than some of my nose pores, alas. but, imperfect skin aside....

She could always get a septum piercing, you can tuck the piercing up into the nose and no one would be the wiser.

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as I felt she was mature enough to take care of it, it wouldn't interfere with dress codes, she knew of the risks (which, I feel, are pretty minimal) and we found a reputable shop that would do it. Oh, and we agreed on the type of jewelry she'd wear.

Most piercings seem like a pretty safe form of rebellion, they are easily removed. I plan on dealing with this stuff as suggested in that Barbara Coloroso book, I will ask dd to convince me and use that to gauge how prepared she is for the actual piercing.

flowersforyou.gif

#109 of 110 Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM

My daughter will most likely get her nose pierced at 13. She wants it now, at 11, but I've told her she will need to wait. If you look at pictures of children in India, it is common for a young girl to have her nose pierced. My daughter and I both think it's beautiful.

The only reason why I want my daughter to wait is for societal reasons. She's in 6th grade at a fairly conservative school so I'll save her the potential grief for now.
#110 of 110 Old 10-14-2008, 09:36 AM

IMO, 13 just seems too young.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page