Tween clumsiness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-23-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if she's just growing really fast or if it's her hormones, but all of a sudden dd is falling all over the place. Not, only that but when she hurts herself, she cries hysterically. This is totally new.

She's going through some big transitions right now, so I think the crying is more about letting off some stress, but the falling down? Today we were at the airport, and she tripped on the people mover and did a complete face plant. Poor girl.

Anybody notice this with girls or boys?

Trish: Mama to Buckaroo , Sweet P :, and Obo Difficult wife of Rick :
#2 of 11 Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 AM

I had a stage of bumping into, tripping over and banging my head on pretty much everything around me when I was a tween. It could just be a growth spurt type of thing and her brain hasn't quite caught up with the extra body length.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 11 Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 AM

My dd falls up the stairs! She is always tripping over everything, including her own feet. I think it's normal. Her legs and feet are growing faster than she can keep up with. I am 42 and still trip? My dd laughs like nobody's business, when she falls. I just added it to the many things that is a part of growing up?

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#4 of 11 Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Normal.
My 11 year old broke her glasses 2 times in 2 days.
We keep raising her bike seat but she is weaving and wobbling more than her 8 year old sister.
#5 of 11 Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM

My dd is 13 and I think their brains become detached from the rest of their bodies...a couple of months ago, she decided to try to step on upside down fish tank needless to say, it didn't support her. Now she has a nice, deep scar, kinda looks like a skinny heart, on her lower leg.

And she can walk down the hall and forget where she was going at least 3 times....lol
#6 of 11 Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Don't worry, brain is still attached. Just has to readjust it's proprioception (the unofficial sixth sense). It's what our brain uses to tell our body and itself where each part of the body is, what it needs to do to complete and action, judges the amount of muscle needed for specific actions like picking up a box, and determining what our body can or cannot accomidate (like "that slots too small for me to slip through" or "That might be strong enough to hold my weight.")

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#7 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 02:36 AM

I was SO clumsy as a teen! I grew very quickly and didn't know how to handle my body for about a year.

It will pass but put away the breakables for a while.
#8 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yep, I was the same way. My body grew so fast, especially my legs. I was like a gazelle with it's shoe strings tied together. The emotional stuff too. Our minds have growth spurts too and messages get mixed and intensify in normal situations. It will pass. Do you remember when you had a toddler you wish you could just talk to? Here she is! Give her lots of and support

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#9 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 PM

I did that!!!!!!
#10 of 11 Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiegrl View Post
My dd is 13 and I think their brains become detached from the rest of their bodies...a couple of months ago, she decided to try to step on upside down fish tank needless to say, it didn't support her. Now she has a nice, deep scar, kinda looks like a skinny heart, on her lower leg.

And she can walk down the hall and forget where she was going at least 3 times....lol
Now this totally sounds like my 13 yr old. he's always doing the silliest things that take very little common sense to figure out. I don't know where his mind is at these days. He's totally hormonal I guess.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#11 of 11 Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM

I was exceptionally clumsy from age 8 through about 15. Talk about making sports a bad experience. My legs and feet grew so fast ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page