Do you knock? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With DSD (15)...
I always knock on DSD's door before coming in, and open slowly. DP knocks as well. When her bf is over, the room stays wide open, so no knocking required. All of this makes perfect sense to me, and works fine.

Growing up...
My mom never knocked, my dad did though. I didn't have any boyfriends while living with my parents (well.. not at the house, anyway). All of that seemed to have been working fine as well. Never bothered me.

Do you knock?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 55 Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 PM

We always knock. Until she gives us reason not to trust her, our dd's room is her room and she diserves her privacy.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 55 Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Of course I knock before entering a room with a closed door, it's called common courtesy!

I even knock before entering my own bedroom if the door is closed, because I share it with DD2. What if she's in the middle of getting dressed or something?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 55 Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 PM

I always knock!

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#5 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 AM

I've always knocked whether my daughter is in her room by herself or with her bf or with other friends. She in turn always knocks when she comes into my room.
#6 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 AM

Yes if the door is closed we knock.....
#7 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I always, always knock, and wait for a "come in" before opening the door.

My sons (twins, almost 14) show us and each other the same courtesy.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#8 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 AM

DSD is at the age now that we are knocking if her door is closed whether she is alone or not. Boyfriends are not an issue, yet, but we will not allow them in their bedrooms when that time comes.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#9 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 11:13 AM

Oh yes,we knock. No matter which room. If the door is closed,we are all expected to knock-no exceptions. It's one of our house rules,that is to be respected(followed) by every family member.(I do have to remind DS to always *close* the door when in the bathroom these days,as it really bothers DD if he doesn't.)
#10 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 AM

I grew up in a very tiny house with 3 sisters. We never knocked.

When Dhs' children moved in with us I had to learn the knocking rule and to do it regularly. I did it only every once in a while but not all the time and dhs' 2 kids were starting to get annoyed.

Thanks to them, we had a talk about it with all the kids re. privacy etc. and knocking is "a rule" around here now.
#11 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Everyone here knocks. Well, 2 yo doesn't quite get it yet but he's learning.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#12 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM

The only time someone closes a door around here is if it is to the outside, or they are having a fit. (I don't have preteens though)

I assume that I'll knock usually as they get older.
#13 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 PM

I always knock on my daughter's door and would expect the same for her. When she was younger (she's 11), I didn't think so much about it though
#14 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 01:47 PM

My family didn't knock. But it wouldn't have been possible when I was in high school, anyway. I went through this weird phase in high school were I voluntarily took my door off its hinges and hung a giant poster of Las Meninas. My younger siblings thought that this was the coolest thing. Ever. They wanted poster doors TOO. You try knocking on a giant piece of cloth.
#15 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM

We knock. We have since DD was very young. Her room, her door, if it's closed, we knock.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#16 of 55 Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM

knock and wait for her to open the door.
#17 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 AM

I have always knocked on the door, even when they were pretty small. The only real difference is that when they were little - it was more of a knock, peek my head in, and let them know I was coming in. Now that they are older, I knock and wait for a response.

Occasionally, given their ages I get a nasty response. At those times, I walk in anyway and we have a chat about it. Usually, times are good, and I wait for a "come in" or "hold on I'm changing" or the like.
#18 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM

I didn't knock when the kids were little, but I do for DD now. She only keeps her door closed if there is reason, so we knock. DS couldn't close his door if he tried-he's such a slob.

Growing up, my parent's knocked and my sister didn't.
#19 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 02:50 PM

We are not big door closers in our family as a whole, except for older dd who absolutely needs her privacy and some significant alone time everyday to feel human. I knock on her door without fail and wait for a response. I will knock for the rest of them if they start closing doors as well! I have an irrational fear about them locking their doors (what if they fainted in there and I couldn't get to them!?!) so we have a deal on no door locking, which doesn't bother dd as long as I treat her closed door with respect.

My smaller kids aren't too big on knocking and it's something I'm working on with ds (11) as he still is in and out my bathroom and bedroom and his younger sister's as well. He has learned to knock for older dd after herover the top response to him coming in a few times!
#20 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Of course I knock before entering a room with a closed door, it's called common courtesy!
:
I always knock on my 17 yo dd's door. She deserves courtesy and respect too.

Missing my Auntie
Grandma to 4 beautiful little boys
#21 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 PM

On the rare times that my 12 year old closes the door I absolutely knock.
#22 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 PM

Yes, always. I expect them to do the same with me and each other.

The sea monkey has my money.

#23 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 PM

I have to admit, even though we knock in our house, it's a bit of a shock to see so many parents who do it too. I've had to listen to so many adults who think "My house, my room" and don't respect their childs privacy. My mom was like that, annoyed the heck out of me. So much so that I'd on occasion lock myself in the bathroom just so I wouldn't be bothered.

Just want to say I'm glad there are so many parents out there who understand the idea of privacy for their children.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#24 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I have to admit, even though we knock in our house, it's a bit of a shock to see so many parents who do it too. I've had to listen to so many adults who think "My house, my room" and don't respect their childs privacy. My mom was like that, annoyed the heck out of me. So much so that I'd on occasion lock myself in the bathroom just so I wouldn't be bothered.

Just want to say I'm glad there are so many parents out there who understand the idea of privacy for their children.
Amen!

My dad was a push the door open without warning guy. And I hated it. I would be 12, 14, 16 getting dressed and BOOOM push the door open.. "blah blah" and then I would yell "GET OUT I AM GETTING DRESSED!" and then he would say "OH,talk to me like that and you aren't going ANYWHERE!"...
It happened over and over and over... He would also say "MY house, MY door" or "I don't care If I see you naked..." Well.. *I*minded!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Thank you all the door knockers! I will be a door knocker when the boys get bigger!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#25 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM

okay-
with DD1- I always knock, whether she's alone, with friends, or with her boy friend. She asked me to knock. She's trustworthy, so I respect her asking me to knock.

With 11 year old DD2- she only closes her door when she's changing or something, so I don't really need to worry about knocking - normally. When her friends [she's boyfriend free] are over, she tells me or dh or dd1 [whomever is in charge] and we knock then generally.

DS1- We never knock, as he is a trustworthy 11 year boy- unless his gf is over or his friends.

DS2- He's nine so we knock half the time - though sometimes, we knock more, depending on what we find when we enter..

With DD 3 & 4, they're 3 & 5. we never knock with DD 4, as she's only 3. With DD3, we're giving her a little bit of trust. We knock, but then enter right away.

So it depends on the age. But DH and I generally knock.
#26 of 55 Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 PM

I'm a knocker, here.

Definately for my big kids, and on the rare occasions that my 2 y/o ds2 closes his door, I knock then too.

A happy woman
#27 of 55 Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM

I always knock and insist on others doing the same.
DS's are terrible about barging into a room. OP...why no closed doors with a BF? My parents had that rule and it made no sense to me.
#28 of 55 Old 07-31-2008, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincap View Post
Amen!

My dad was a push the door open without warning guy. And I hated it. I would be 12, 14, 16 getting dressed and BOOOM push the door open.. "blah blah" and then I would yell "GET OUT I AM GETTING DRESSED!" and then he would say "OH,talk to me like that and you aren't going ANYWHERE!"...
It happened over and over and over... He would also say "MY house, MY door" or "I don't care If I see you naked..." Well.. *I*minded!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Thank you all the door knockers! I will be a door knocker when the boys get bigger!
OMG, I'm so sorry. That's was way out of line and completely disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
I always knock and insist on others doing the same.
DS's are terrible about barging into a room. OP...why no closed doors with a BF? My parents had that rule and it made no sense to me.
I understand that some parents don't object to their children getting intimate with boyfriends/girlfriends behind closed bedroom doors. But there are parents who do strenuously object to that. And keeping the bedroom door wide open is a good way to avoid temptation.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#29 of 55 Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
We are not big door closers in our family as a whole, except for older dd who absolutely needs her privacy and some significant alone time everyday to feel human. I knock on her door without fail and wait for a response. I will knock for the rest of them if they start closing doors as well! I have an irrational fear about them locking their doors (what if they fainted in there and I couldn't get to them!?!) so we have a deal on no door locking, which doesn't bother dd as long as I treat her closed door with respect.
!
My DS 1 is a door locker. All you have to do is buy some of those really skinny teeny tinny screwdrivers. like for eye glasses and what not, and put that in the hole and pick the lock. Very simple. ( I know this because there was a time when DS 1 was falling asleep with a locked door and I had to get in to get to the computer and didn't want to wake him up so I picked the lock ).. We do have a rule of no locking the inside doors at night. DS 1 is a very heavy sleeper and I am afraid I couldn't get him awake in time to get out of the house in case of a fire. He is finally good about not locking when he goes to sleep.

And to answer the thread, yes I am a knocker. Kids deserve privacy just like the rest of us.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#30 of 55 Old 07-31-2008, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our kids doors don't have locks. Ours does.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page