Too young to be by themselves at night? WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just discovered a 'friend' leaves her 11 year old daughter alone in their apartment at night so she can go out to a bar - "only for an hour" (granted, it takes her at least 30 minutes to get there, so likely 2-3 hours hours in total. It's in an apartment in one of the crummiest neighborhoods in the city, and I believe she leaves after her daughter has gone to bed.

I'm just stunned that she seems to think this is okay, I would have been terrified to wake up and discover I was all by myself at 11 years old. Even if I knew my mom would be leaving. I don't know, maybe this is an acceptable thing? I didn't think this was even legal...

What would you do?
#2 of 87 Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would say it depends on the situation and unless you feel she would be better off being cared for by someone else I would leave it alone. I was home babysitting at that age and my kids are home alone at night if we go for dinner or out for a drink and my oldest is 11. They are fine. They know what to do in an emergency and they have a phone.
#3 of 87 Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna11 View Post
I just discovered a 'friend' leaves her 11 year old daughter alone in their apartment at night so she can go out to a bar - "only for an hour" (granted, it takes her at least 30 minutes to get there, so likely 2-3 hours hours in total. It's in an apartment in one of the crummiest neighborhoods in the city, and I believe she leaves after her daughter has gone to bed.

I'm just stunned that she seems to think this is okay, I would have been terrified to wake up and discover I was all by myself at 11 years old. Even if I knew my mom would be leaving. I don't know, maybe this is an acceptable thing? I didn't think this was even legal...

What would you do?
Flashback. This was me when I was 9-10. My mom would leave me alone, at night, in apartments in the crappiest neighborhood to go to the bar and I would be absolutely terrified. 20 years later, I still remember, in detail, the nightmares I used to have.

Sadly, it is legal, unless there can be a proven safety issue (which I'm sure there can be).

And, no, I don't think it is acceptable whatsoever, having lived it firsthand. I have huge issues w/ my mom and this is only one of the reasons. How sad.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#4 of 87 Old 07-30-2008, 04:01 AM

Can you make it clear to the girl that if she is ever scared or worried she can call you? Not to take the responsibility on yourself but to give her an adult she can trust.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 87 Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post
I would say it depends on the situation and unless you feel she would be better off being cared for by someone else I would leave it alone. I was home babysitting at that age and my kids are home alone at night if we go for dinner or out for a drink and my oldest is 11. They are fine. They know what to do in an emergency and they have a phone.
I agree. I think it would depend on the kid.

But I would worry. It's not only the fact that the child is home alone and might be afraid if something were to happen, but someone could break in the house and try to hurt the child. Plus, what if something happened to the mother like she got abducted or had a car accident. Then what would the child do when mom never comes back? So bad things can happen all around. I worry sometimes when I go to the store and leave the kids home with DH that if something happened to me and they never saw me again. I could never leave them alone at night like that with no other adults around.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#6 of 87 Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 AM

It wouldn't have bothered me at 11. I doubt there is much more danger when the kid is in bed at night than there is during the day. As long as she has her mom's cell phone number, and another number to call if she needs help or is scared for any reason, I think it's fine.
#7 of 87 Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM

I was home alone, even babysitting, but that age. I think it really depends on the kid---there is a vast range of maturity among 11 year olds. How does the kid feel about it? If you are worried, maybe you can ask her and/or offer to have her come to your house every other Friday or something.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#8 of 87 Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your responses, I feel a lot better about it. My kids are still tiny, so I really don't know what the world of 10/11 year olds is like.

Some times, I think that this girl is 10 times more mature than her mother I guess if anyone would be okay on their own at night, she would.
#9 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna11 View Post
Some times, I think that this girl is 10 times more mature than her mother I guess if anyone would be okay on their own at night, she would.
That's not the worry, though. Sure, she probably won't do anything to cause harm (start a fire, for example), but what about someone else harming her? I was a very mature child but I was scared of people breaking into my apt. and hurting me, especially being in a horrible part of town.

Maybe that's just me, I wouldn't leave my children alone at night unless it was their house, LOL.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#10 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 AM

I have two points of view. When I lived in town, on the "east" side, a busy pretty scary neighborhood- I would NEVER leave my kids alone, probably even at 15 yrs old.
Now I live in a very rural area, and although we do have to be aware of wildlife, I feel 100% confident leaving my 11.5 yr old alone at home for a few hours as long as I am by a phone. The safety issue is definitely a factor for me and I feel grateful I live where I do. She has called me home at times, and I always come home immediately.
#11 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've let my kids stay home alone during the day for an hour or so at a time, starting around age 10. I let my kids babysit by age 12.

There's a huge range of maturity for preteens. Some kids can handle being alone for a couple of hours, some can't.

SAHDS. I'm curious though- did you tell your mom you were scared of being left alone? Did she ignore your fears?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#12 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 AM

I would talk to my friend. Ask questions....is the DD aware that her mom is leaving her alone? Is there a way for the DD to get ahold of the Mom AND another safe adult? Does the DD FEEL safe in this situation? Does the Mom and DD have a written,practiced emergency plan worked out? Does the DD know what to do if something tragic happened?

IMHO, this situation raises huge red flags for me. An 11 yo,alone in the middle of the night,in a dangerous neighborhood,in an apartment building,with a mom going to a bar?

::t sk
#13 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 AM

I don't know, I was doing overnight babysitting by age 11 and had been for a while.
#14 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautical View Post
I don't know, I was doing overnight babysitting by age 11 and had been for a while.
Yep.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#15 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautical View Post
Yep me too.

What do you mean by a "crummy" neighborhood? Is it actually dangerous or just lower income?

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#16 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM

Eleven year old children are too young to be left alone while mom bar hops. Does this happen on a routine basis? Does the little girl know that she is alone at night? This raises so many questions and concerns. What if she gets sick? What if she has a nightmare? What if she hears something that scares her? And overnight babysitting at that age? I wouldn't let an 11 year baby sit my kids during the day let alone over night. An 11 year old is what, 5th or 6th grade? Way too young to be left alone at night regardless of the neighborhood. Why can't mom find a babysitter? If she has money to go to the bars then she should have money to pay someone to be with her child. Where is the father? Grandparents? How is this even legal? Even if she is a mature 11 year old, she is being forced into a situation she shouldn't be. It is a parent's responsibility to care for their child and not leave them alone to go drink. Sounds like mom needs some help. I'm probably going to sound like the bad guy here but I would seriously consider calling CPS.

The sea monkey has my money.

#17 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM

Have no idea what it's like in Canada, but where I live there are no laws stating at what age kids can be left home alone.
#18 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM

I don't know if it varies by province, but where I live, 11 is the legal age for leaving a child home alone. Well you can leave your kid home alone earlier if you are running to the store or something small.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#19 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM

As long as the girl is OK with this, I would stay out of it. Many kids are mature enough to handle this type of responsibility by 11. And sadly, mom in the next room is not going to stop someone breaking in and hurting both of them, or adducting the kid and/or the parent. Mom could get knocked out getting out of the shower and slipping. All sorts of bad things can happen all the time -- there is no perfectly safe world.
#20 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goingon2 View Post
Why can't mom find a babysitter? If she has money to go to the bars then she should have money to pay someone to be with her child. Where is the father? Grandparents? How is this even legal?
My thoughts exactly! The gas to drive to the bar, the drinks(unless bought for her),the clothes to wear-if she's able to pay for all that, absolutely she should be paying for a sitter.

I live in the US, and in my state, it is legal to leave a DC HOME alone,regardless of age. Now, not in a CAR however. DC must be at least 6yo, or with a DC 14yo and older to be left alone in a car.

IMHO....it sounds like this momma has her priorities backward.
#21 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM

There's an awful lot of assumptions being made about this mama. Especially when you consider only one person on this thread has actually ever met her.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#22 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. Depends on the maturity of the child. My dd is 11 almost 12 and I have left her here with the other kids to go pick dh up from the airport late at night. Of course we live in a great neighborhood and know all our neighbors very well. We have a firefighter across the street and a policeman 2 doors down and there are lots of people she can call if she got into trouble. We also have an alarm system and a 130 lb guard dog that would eat anyone alive that tried to break in or die trying. She's in 7th grade and she is very comfortable with it. The other kids are usually already in bed or ready to be put into bed. I pay her to watch the other kids and she enjoys the extra money. She also stays home alone sometimes when we run out somewhere and she doesn't want to go. She has been staying home for short stints during the day since she was 9 or 10. I did too as a child. But my sister was never allowed to be home alone and I wouldn't let my 2nd dd who is 9 stay home alone for any period of time. Maturity varies greatly and age isn't a deciding factor imo for when a child is ready to be home alone.
#23 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goingon2 View Post
Eleven year old children are too young to be left alone while mom bar hops. Does this happen on a routine basis? Does the little girl know that she is alone at night? This raises so many questions and concerns. What if she gets sick?
Call Mom on her cell phone.

What if she has a nightmare?
Call Mom on her cell phone, or just go back to sleep. She's 11 years, not 11 months.

What if she hears something that scares her?
You guessed it, call Mom on her cell phone.
These days it is easy to stay in touch. It's not like she is gone for days with no way to get in contact. Obviously, I am going on my own experience of maturity at that age, and that of my dds, but you seem to be expecting the maturity level of a much younger kid.
#24 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure what I would do, other than tell the girl that you are nearby if she needs something. I would have been terrified to be left alone at night at that age, but that's probably part of my personality. I still don't like being alone at night.
#25 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 01:29 PM

It depends so much on the kid and other circumstances.

We live in an apartment building and are friends with our neighbors. We occasionally take a walk around the neighborhood by ourselves or run to the corner store, leaving dd home alone. She's totally comfortable with it. We leave her one cell and take the other and she knows she can go to our neighbors in the building if she needs help.

My BIG concern though is if something happened to ME while I was away, so I always let someone know. DH was visiting his family a couple of towns away last night. I was making lunch for DD for camp after she had gone to bed and I realized we were out of bread.

I left a note for dd and called DH and had him stay on the phone with me while I walked the two blocks to the store and back until I was safely back home (I was gone for about 13 minutes).

So, it depends on the kid and the circumstance. I'm sure, with dd's maturity level now, she will be more than comfortable and ready by the time she's 11 to be left alone for a few hours while DH and I go on a date. However, we'd stay within walking or extremely short driving distance, definitely not 30 minutes away.
#26 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
There's an awful lot of assumptions being made about this mama. Especially when you consider only one person on this thread has actually ever met her.
I totally agree.
#27 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM

I know this probably comes up a lot on mdc, but I really think it is important to remember that we all come from very different places in terms of background, customs and culture and definitely INCOME! It's lovely that so many folks are well off, but I think important to remember thats not all of us.
I'm not sure why this is coming up for me in this thread, but it really is.
And it's not that because you are poor you don't take as good of care of your kids, it just sometimes means you have less resources or options.
#28 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahart View Post
I know this probably comes up a lot on mdc, but I really think it is important to remember that we all come from very different places in terms of background, customs and culture and definitely INCOME! It's lovely that so many folks are well off, but I think important to remember thats not all of us.
I'm not sure why this is coming up for me in this thread, but it really is.
And it's not that because you are poor you don't take as good of care of your kids, it just sometimes means you have less resources or options.
This gets to me sometimes here as well. But even if she does have money for a sitter, it doesn't mean the girl needs one. Some kids would be just fine in this situation. For all we know, the child had a sitter and begged to be left without one! Not enough information here to judge one way or the other.
#29 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 05:58 PM

I don't see the issue. Like other people said, I was babysitting other kids at that age. And who cares that it's so the mama can step out and have a drink at a bar.
#30 of 87 Old 07-31-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herausgeber View Post
I don't see the issue. Like other people said, I was babysitting other kids at that age. And who cares that it's so the mama can step out and have a drink at a bar.
I think the bar is what really bothers a lot of posters.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page