Back to school tomorrow! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe my oldest is going to highschool for the first time tomorrow, and the other is going to junior high!
It's going to be weird to have just two at home all day again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 AM

Ugh, mine go back on Wednesday and I'm already trying to figure out/remember what I'm going to do in my spare time. Just the dog and I for 8 hours a day. *sigh*

Doesn't it feel as tough you were just their age not so long ago???

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 AM

I feel it too! My oldest starts 7th grade, ds2 starts 1st grade, and I will only have dd home, just this last year. Im already trying to prepare for having all three kids in school all day. It is crazy.

We are now living just a block from where I lived in the 8th grade right by the same middle school I went to then and ds is going to now. It is creepy to walk through there, feels like I was just there, even though it was 16 years ago!! Even some of the same teachers. wow

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 09-02-2008, 03:08 PM

Today is the first day of school and I have no kids living with me that go to school. It's kinda weird. To go from all 3 a year ago to none today.

14 yo dd is unschooling

16 yo ds moved 100 miles away with my parents and is taking his last year of high school there

18 yo ds isn't doing much of =anything right now!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Ds is starting high school next monday (new program, the teacher just moved to the city and they don't even have a classroom yet )

I've hs'ed him for 7 years, since grade 3, except for one year at a rather mediocre junior high. It's ds's decision entirely to go back to school, so I guess we're still unschooling, in a way.

It's an odd situation for me, going from a very hand's-on, unschooling mom, to being a bit of a bystander in my child's life. He picked the program, he's gotten involved in a lot of extracuricular stuff this year (kendo, japanese language class and bass guitar lessons.) It's great that he's becoming so self-directed, but it's a little shocking to me how quickly it's happened

Ds has always been a very "in the moment" kind of person, never looking forward in any way. It'll be interesting to see how his new ambitious plans are going to work out. I'm not sure how much I should be keeping watch on what he's doing, and how much to step in to help. He's never been organized in any way, and his plans for this year are quite ambitious, even for a more organized, forward thinking kind of person. He's more the seat-of-my-pants, cross my fingers and hope it all works out kind of person
Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 PM

My oldest started HS last week too.
I was all set for tired, exhausted meltdown after day one of school followed by field hockey practice. Instead, she got into the car and with a sigh announced that she LOVED high school. :

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)

User Tag List