experiences with loft beds? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought two of those metal Ikea loft beds for my boys but got rid of them after a year. They are too high (head on the ceiling problem), they seem rickety when they moved around on them, and the space underneath wasn't as useful as I thought it would be. Not only that, but they were extremely difficult to assemble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM

Hmm...just heard another concern about loft beds from a friend. She mentioned increase in fire danger, since smoke and heat rise. Anyone explored this issue? I'm still exploring our options though. Increased space versus miniscule amount of risk I think.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:23 AM

DD's room is teeny tiny, so the only bed that would fit is an IKEA bed with a desk underneath. She hasm't been scarred for life, and I've heard a few metallic clunks and bangs as she's shifted around. Even her loudest clunks and clangs haven't lead anyone to wake up, just notice.

In our case, the choice of the loft bed was the only choice possible. So, maybe what I'm wondering is this.. are you maybe trying to make things perfect in an imperfect world? If your kids have to live in your house, what can you get that fits their room?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:58 PM

the loft bed my DH made (which is in the open pics of my myspace in my sig) is screwed to the studs in the wall. it doesnt move. very sturdy.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestjob View Post
DD's room is teeny tiny, so the only bed that would fit is an IKEA bed with a desk underneath. She hasm't been scarred for life, and I've heard a few metallic clunks and bangs as she's shifted around. Even her loudest clunks and clangs haven't lead anyone to wake up, just notice.

In our case, the choice of the loft bed was the only choice possible. So, maybe what I'm wondering is this.. are you maybe trying to make things perfect in an imperfect world? If your kids have to live in your house, what can you get that fits their room?
???

What does that mean?

I think whether or not the clanging bothers a person depends on how light of a sleeper they are and how much their child moves around. My dsd barely moves at all, where ds clangs around so much his wall has marks and both dh and I are distracted and annoyed by the noise he makes banging his bed around as he settles in to sleep and even as he moves around in his sleep. He's an extremely active and noisy sleeper and the metal Ikea loft bed is very loud. He gets it honest, I've been known to wake up with my head at the foot of the bed, too, in my younger years.

I have fibromyalgia and difficulty sleeping. If my sleep is disrupted I get killer migraines, so anything that disturbs my sleep is a big deal.

Trying to make things perfect in an imperfect world? Hardly. Just trying to get a decent night of sleep, and giving an honest answer to the OP's question about my experience with loft beds, as asked. Why the snark?

If rattles and squeaks don't bug you, great, but for other people who could regret the decision to buy the same noisy bed, maybe it's helpful to know this information.

for intuitive readings click here :

User Tag List