How old was your son when he started getting pubic hair? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old was your son when he got pubic hair?
7 or younger 2 2.50%
8 4 5.00%
9 7 8.75%
10 8 10.00%
11 12 15.00%
12 10 12.50%
13 4 5.00%
14 3 3.75%
15 2 2.50%
the obligatory other 28 35.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanElizabeth View Post
It must be nice to be so confident about what your 7 year old son will be like at 13 or 14.

And it must also be nice to know that he would be happy about his mother posting descriptions of his "bush" and how hairy it is on a public website. He must be really cool.

And if you have a daughter, I'm sure you would think it's great that she show your husband when she's "becoming a woman". He would want to see that right?
It seems that this is a pretty upsetting subject for you, and I'm sorry that you feel no one understands where you're coming from.

I do understand what you're saying.. I just don't agree

I hope when my dd is going through puberty that she will share that with her dad.. only time will tell, but I do know that when that time comes, and she does share it with him, that he will show just as much enthusiasm and delight that he showed yesterday when she showed him her poop in her potty chair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAU3 View Post
I hope when my dd is going through puberty that she will share that with her dad.. only time will tell, but I do know that when that time comes, and she does share it with him, that he will show just as much enthusiasm and delight that he showed yesterday when she showed him her poop in her potty chair.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAU3 View Post
It seems that this is a pretty upsetting subject for you, and I'm sorry that you feel no one understands where you're coming from.

I

ok
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 AM

i dont know how a kid would know their parents are posting about this online.. its not like we all scan our ID cards next to our user names
Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 AM

My ds was 9. He told me about it and asked me to look. He is pretty modest about nudity, and we respect that. He does want me to help him shower sometimes and says "don't look", but he will also do a quick change in front of us. I don't feel weird about seeing him naked, he is my son.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
[/B]

So you are saying that, because your dd is showing enthusiasm and delight with her poop in the potty, that this means that when she is going through puberty she will be equally willing to show her dad her pubic hair???

By that reasoning, why is it that in many nursery school, including the ones that my kids went to, the toilets are all in one big unseparated room with no difference between the boys and girls going to the bathroom? I never minded this and neither did any of the other parents. So why, if adults can keep that same level of open-mindedness, don't men and women all share the same bathroom with no partitions between the stalls? What's the big deal?
Society in general teaches to be ashamed of our bodies. Hide it all!

Not every family is like that.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 07-20-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Society in general teaches to be ashamed of our bodies. Hide it all!

Not every family is like that.
thank god or i would have never learned so much about pubes
Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 AM

When your child is old enough to have pubic hair they are also old enough to hit the "search history" button when they log into the internet. If you can honestly say that a child with pubic hair would not be in any way upset by seeing that his or her parent is posting about this on the internet, then go ahead and post away. If you think that they would feel that there is a difference between their pride about their poop when they were 2 or 3 years old, and their feelings of privacy about their bodies when they are changing, then maybe you should think twice about this thread.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 AM

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
When your child is old enough to have pubic hair they are also old enough to hit the "search history" button when they log into the internet. If you can honestly say that a child with pubic hair would not be in any way upset by seeing that his or her parent is posting about this on the internet, then go ahead and post away. If you think that they would feel that there is a difference between their pride about their poop when they were 2 or 3 years old, and their feelings of privacy about their bodies when they are changing, then maybe you should think twice about this thread.
As you previously mentioned, these are two seperate issues... some take issue with one.. some take issue with the other. I don't think anyone is confusing the two.

I do understand that some adolescents could be upset by their parents talking about thier pubic hair, on the internet or otherwise. But some may not ( as seen by a pp who said her ds saw the thread.

I suppose that every parent here has to make that choice.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 PM

SE, are you feeling sad that your child was not as open with you as some on this thread claim their kids were?

I hid ALL things puberty related from my mom and everyone, even my first period. i did not want attention, and i did not want to grow up.

it had nothing to do with my mom- she was wonderful.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemomma View Post
SE, are you feeling sad that your child was not as open with you as some on this thread claim their kids were?

I hid ALL things puberty related from my mom and everyone, even my first period. i did not want attention, and i did not want to grow up.

it had nothing to do with my mom- she was wonderful.
(me too....)
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 PM

OP- I think you have a right to be worried and to be honest, I WILL be looking at my children past the age of 7.

Here is the reason why....my dp started having puberty related changes at age 7. My MIL was worried and took him to the doctor, they ran a bunch of tests and concluded that his adrenal gland was running at a higher than normal level. This was back in the early 1970's and they didn't do anything about it.
Fast forward-My dp is less than 5 ft tall. Due to his over-production of testosterone, his bone plates fused early and he never reached full height. He also has a lot of body hair and a very over-active sex drive.
Nowadays=this can be prevented and I would do anything I can to prevent it considering how dp had a very very hard time growing up and getting teased.

The first indicator my MIL had was pubic hair.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 PM

Amazing thread. I can't believe I read through the whole thing, and that it became a forum for arguments about terminology and whether or not it's OK for a parent to be privy to their child's development!

I came on here, genuinely curious, because I am a single mother of an 8-1/2yo boy, and I wanted to know the consensus. There are no males, family or otherwise, for ds to ask anything. Dang if I didn't get much of an answer. My boy is naked as much as he can be, in the house. He wears clothing otherwise, and wouldn't be caught dead naked even on the porch at 7am when nobody's around and there are trees to shield him.

He has no qualms about being naked in front of me, and while I don't run around naked (not an issue about nudity, just self-consciousness about my fat, but he doesn't see that-- he prolly doesn't even notice that I'm not as nekkid as him in a day) I am not shy about changing/going potty/showering around him. Though I have gotten shyer about pooping with the door open, as he's gotten older.

That said, I came on here for two reasons:
One is, I have noticed small downy hairs on his pubic area. We've talked about puberty, and we're very open about the coming changes. He's not at all shy about talking to me. I'm sure he may show me his changes. The downy hairs he has are very, very light and since I don't scrutinize his pubic area, I was wanting to find out if they are normal downy body hairs, such as everyone has on, say, their arms, or if they're the beginning of actual pubic hair.
Two is, for the very first time, the other day (yesterday?) as we were reading in bed, I leaned over him for a hug, and <gasp> his armpit smelled oh so very slightly like BO!!!! He has never smelled before. He's only 8-1/2.

Could he be starting puberty?? This early?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM

My ds started being modest around age 10, so it was after that. He's 13 now so I would guess 12 because he has some underarm hair now (not a ton of it but he does have some).
Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 PM

“Parents are the best people to monitor their child’s growth and development. They are the people who know their children best. Health professionals act as partners to parents in this process. It is important to monitor your child’s development so that any possible problems can be identified and treated as early as possible. Children grow and develop very quickly, especially the teenagers. If some problems are not discovered and treated early, it can lead to further problems later in life”. However, there is a rather delicate point along these lines of thinking. How to update your impressions about your child`s physical development if you are single parent of opposite gender and probably have stop seeing him nude after reach certain age.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Hi all

I just wanted to let you know that several posts have been removed in the interest of keeping this thread peaceful. If there are issues between the posters, it is asked that you take it to PM. Thank you, BK~

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 10-20-2009, 02:21 AM

sometimes I really wish my kids were more modest around the house when they're feeling particularly goofy and exhibitionistic but I feel rather proud that my dh and I have overcome our baggage and allowed our kids to feel comfortable with their bodies around family members. I don't ever want my kids to feel uncomfortable being naked around us, and I can't think of a single reason why they *should*... I have an acquaintance who has skinny dipped with her entire family her whole life, and while I don't think I'd go so far as to take photos of these events and hang them in my bathroom (I think it's a big source of pride for her that her family is so comfortable with each other), I would love for my family to continue to be completely comfortable naked around each other throughout our lives. Not that I want us to make a point of being naked for nudity's sake, but being part of a family can be pretty intimate at times, and I want us to all always feel comfortable with that. I also understand that part of it is just personality, and some are naturally more modest than others, and I would always respect that -- I imagine that as my kids enter puberty they'll get more private, though they are all to happy to show it off now!

oh but wait, that wasn't the question! My dd just turned 10 and started getting pubic hair a few months ago, and my son is 8 and I can't even imagine having to think about it for several years, especially considering he JUST lost his front teeth!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 AM

i don't know about pubes but my 10 year old brother called me from across the country to tell me he was growing armpit hair. when i'm home, he will change in front of me. if it's not a big deal for him, it's not for me.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:45 AM

I voted other because I can't fathom what would possess my (formerly ardent nudist) 16yo son to share that information with me.

If I had to guess I'd say 12, because that's around the time he started really being 'private' with changing clothes etc. and I'm guessing there was a good reason for it I respect their right to privacy and don't intrude, and we're certainly not a prudish family by any stretch of the imagination!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 AM

The sexualizing of the father/daughter relationship on this thread is REALLY disturbing me. Owning a penis does not make one a pedophile.
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I know my husband (and dad, for that matter) are decent men. My teenage sister has come out in a towel many times in front of my husband and somehow he remained not a pedophile... which is apparently amazing? This is a weird thread, y'all.

Anyway...
I asked him for his own experience and he said around 12 or 11. I was 14.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
The sexualizing of the father/daughter relationship on this thread is REALLY disturbing me. Owning a penis does not make one a pedophile.
right, I wanted to comment on that and forgot... not that I have much to add other than ... why wouldn't a father, especially a single father or a father who was, for whatever reason, in a position to be the one to help his daughter through any variety of puberty moments, be every bit as interested, willing, and able to help his daughter, as mothers would their sons or daughters?

I honestly don't think it would be any different for my husband to help our daughter navigate a first period than it was when he changed her diaper. less hands on, most likely, but she is and will always be his baby, regardless of hair sprouting or fat depositing, or what have you. SHE might feel differently when the time comes, but now, at age 10, she wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable about asking him for help with ANYTHING at all, and she is still happy to be nekkid at home, even with things starting to sprout here and there...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:27 AM

It is very comforting to know that there are still people in this world who won't stick a creepy lable on the fact that DD talks about everything puberty related with DH and I.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I know my husband (and dad, for that matter) are decent men. My teenage sister has come out in a towel many times in front of my husband and somehow he remained not a pedophile... which is apparently amazing? This is a weird thread, y'all.

Anyway...
I asked him for his own experience and he said around 12 or 11. I was 14.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 AM
2xy

I haven't seen my boys naked since they were seven or so. No idea when they developed pubic hair. I think the older one was 12 or so when he got underarm hair, and the younger one was 13.

I just want to comment on something. I like to be dressed. I'm not a horrible prude or ashamed of the human form. I just feel more comfortable with clothes on, just like I sleep better with a sheet even if it's really hot in the room. Maybe it's a security thing. I never told my boys to cover up. They just did. I bathed/showered with DS2 until he was six or so, at which point he preferred to shower alone.

They never ran around naked as toddlers/preschoolers, either. I know lots of small children like to be naked; mine didn't have any interest in it.

Even as a kid, I liked to be clothed. My parents were very free with their nakedness. By the time I was ten or eleven, I was sort of grossed out by seeing my parents' genitalia while we ate dinner. Seriously. Nobody taught me that nudity was bad or gross; I had my own brain with my own thoughts and came to that conclusion myself. Preferring to be dressed doesn't make anyone a bad person or an extremist.

As for the skinny dipping/pedophile discussion, I think the whole argument is ridiculous. Pedophiles target children who are accessible, plain and simple. Children who are swimming are usually supervised.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Dar

Some posts have been remove because they referred to a now-deleted post. Remember, the red triangle is your friend!

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 PM

My ds just turned 5 so I have a few years I hope before the issue comes up. If he stays like he is now then I am sure I will see when it happens

I am happy to know that it can happen as early as 8 because I had no idea.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Not a clue, he'll be 13 in a few weeks. He did proudly brag that he thinks he's getting armpit hair but I think he's seeing things

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM

I have read all the replies and find it odd that everyone thinks it odd that you see you son naked.

My son is 8 and doesnt have a problem with undressing in front of me for his shower.  I still have to go assist him to wash most the time as he doesnt do it. (he has ADHD) However i dont feel his condition is the reason he doesnt care about being naked in front of his mother.  He is my son, I gave birth to him so whats the problem with nudity.

Anyway he is 8 like i said and has absolutely no signs of pubic hair.

x

Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer_lc1 View Post

... am i the only one who won't be looking at their childs body after 7 or 8?? that just irks me.

My son got the "natural modesty" thing kick in about the time he went to school. I haven't seen him wholly naked since then. My daughter, on the other hand .. is like me.. casual .....about nakedness and skin. I've seen her naked many, many times.

User Tag List