How old was your son when he started getting pubic hair? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old was your son when he got pubic hair?
7 or younger 2 2.50%
8 4 5.00%
9 7 8.75%
10 8 10.00%
11 12 15.00%
12 10 12.50%
13 4 5.00%
14 3 3.75%
15 2 2.50%
the obligatory other 28 35.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 148 Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I know this is maddddd old, but this is my thread so lol....I still see my son nekkid, and he is 13. We are a family of six, me, DH, 3 boys and the youngest being a girl. There is no modesty here, we don't walk around naked all day, but there are 3 or 4 of us running daily for a towel, underpants, etc. NBD. I never in my whole being thought on MDC I would EVER have a problem posting about something mentioning such a natural thing as nudity. Anyhow, it turns out he's COMPLETLY normal, no PP, nada. He's a totally normal 13 yo...he's not even showing a lot of interest in having a girlfriend yet. He just is gonna be hairy maybe? Lol. So anywho, I remember when I first joined MDC I posted on way old threads and always wished the OP would answer back lol so here ya go! smile.gif
beanma and rainyday like this.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#122 of 148 Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 AM

have no idea but ds2 asked why ds1 had hair down there like his dad so im assuming 12ish.  i dont see the boys nude after 7-8 either

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#123 of 148 Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 AM

My son told me on the weekend that he "has hair on his penis" now.  He's 7.5.  I can't confirm if this is true, as I don't see him naked anymore.  He's a pretty private kid, so I was surprised when he told me about this.  He said it's "just a little bit of hair", lol.  I don't know?  It seemed young to me?

#124 of 148 Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM

I don't know that it's really that young. Ds (14) started with some signs of puberty around 8, and that seems pretty common. For ds, he started with BO. He excitedly (and repeated) announced his first pubic hair at about 10. Shortly after that, he became suddenly VERY modest and would even wear a shirt to swim indoors. Recently he's shed the modesty and been back to wandering around in his underwear half the day again. Turns out he was embarrassed because he suddenly went from "child sized" to "adult sized" genitals and is unusually well endowed. Now he's proud of it, so his body image has shifted. 

As for nudity...while ds hasn't been into it since he was a toddler...it's all we can do to keep clothes on dd (11) around the house. I'm sure she would happily run around town naked too, if we would let her. 

And the kids couldn't care less that I discuss them on a message board specifically designed for parents to discuss their children. They're fully aware of this board, and are often quite involved in my activity here. Ds particularly enjoys being able to give advice to moms of boys about boy specific issues.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#125 of 148 Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 AM

I think most boys have pubic hair at 10 but should a mother see her son naked if he is over 7? - I don´t think so!!!

#126 of 148 Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Queiw all right, beleive him. he has probably. Good that you don t see him naked at that age!

#127 of 148 Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just View Post

I think most boys have pubic hair at 10 but should a mother see her son naked if he is over 7? - I don´t think so!!!

Really? Even if he's still running around the house naked after his bath without a care in the world? Even is he asks her to come in and talk to him while he's in the bathtub?

#128 of 148 Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Good that so many  don t see their sons naked after 7-8!

#129 of 148 Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post

Really? Even if he's still running around the house naked after his bath without a care in the world? Even is he asks her to come in and talk to him while he's in the bathtub?

If he doesn t let you see his genitals it is OK

#130 of 148 Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM

First 3 posts are to revive an old thread to say something mindlessly controversial? Ya, that's a poster who's opinion one should take seriously. ;) 

"oops!" *pulls out a rag to clean up the sarcasm that dripped all over the floor*

Don't let em rile you, Doodlebugsmom. =D

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#131 of 148 Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

First 3 posts are to revive an old thread to say something mindlessly controversial? Ya, that's a poster who's opinion one should take seriously. ;) 

"oops!" *pulls out a rag to clean up the sarcasm that dripped all over the floor*

Don't let em rile you, Doodlebugsmom. =D

Thank you, you're right. I'm not responding to the previous poster anymore. :)

#132 of 148 Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#133 of 148 Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Gosh, seems like this community has veered suddenly right?! I'm still dumbfounded people think we are pervs cause we aren't modest about something so natural eyesroll.gif y'all are KILLING me! Is there any of the original spirit of Mothering Dot Commune left?!?! greensad.gif
Amore7 likes this.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#134 of 148 Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyndmamaof4 View Post

Gosh, seems like this community has veered suddenly right?! I'm still dumbfounded people think we are pervs cause we aren't modest about something so natural eyesroll.gif y'all are KILLING me! Is there any of the original spirit of Mothering Dot Commune left?!?! greensad.gif

Well...as Incorrigible pointed out, you should notice that that was one member (Just), whose first 4 and only posts since, are those here. eyesroll.gif  So please don't paint the whole of MDC's members with a broad paintbrush, based upon one very ignorant person/troll. Don't feed the trolls.  smile.gif

#135 of 148 Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread, and of course have no idea what bad stuff was deleted.  I will chime in as both a Dad and Health and Physical  Education teacher. The age of puberty for boys varies greatly and as the poll shows - it is an authentic "Bell curve." The "average" age for male puberty is 11 but can be as early as 5 and as late as 15 or 16 (rare). Genetics is the major factor. Ask most teachers and you will find that American kids in 6th grade are still children. Then summer comes and they go to seventh grade and the difference is very noticable - almost all are bigger. There is the usual one or two that still look like little kids, but most have grown a lot. Some girls hit puberty big time in sixth grade and all the kids notice it. In seventh grade most girls are bigger than most boys because almost all of the girls have hit puberty but most of the boys are just starting. In school it can be the toughest year for both kids and teachers - I have known many teachers who could not handle that age. (I have taught all grades K-12). Seventh graders have a very tough time as friends grow throughout the school year and by eighth grade one kid is six feet and the other is still a foot shorter (so now they do not play basketball together anymore).  Few boys in seventh grade have any interest in girls. By eighth grade the boys are fresh and all they do is talk about the girls. So the period between ages 10-13 are the major hormonal growth times. My own boys bathed together as toddlers and as they aged they showered instead - alone. At one point the older son locked the bathroom door and that was it - instant privacy. He never said a word other than he wanted privacy. The younger one used to sit on the floor in his bedroom checking his groin looking for hair. One day he came running to tell me because he was excited that he found one; he was ten. As a teacher I can tell you from direct observation in locker rooms after class - American boys are mostly embarrassed to be naked in front of others. They do not like to shower in school (grades 7-9). By grade 10 most do not care anymore but there are still shy boys who will not change in front of others after class. In the USA our culture tends to be very conservative. Americans are a "hung up" society. We love our entertainment (television, movies, video games) to be action oriented and violent (car chases, explosions, lots of gunfights, etc.). Yet we cringe at sex and nudity. How many of you readers allow your kids to watch "action movies" but have never discussed sex with your kids? And why not? Probably because sex makes most Americans uncomfortable. But blowing people up in a TV show does not. Walmart will not even sell "Cosmopolitan" magazine in their stores unless the cover is blocked from view. But gun magazines are in full view. But have you ever been to Germany or Sweden? Every magazine has naked women on the front cover, and these are news magazines! Cultural differences are fascinating! I did teach in Europe for five years. The little kids (boys and girls) changed together in one locker room in grades 1-3. Starting in grade four they had separate changing rooms. Almost 100 percent showered after class through 12th grade (separate locker rooms of course, they are not THAT wild and crazy). But sex is not a big deal to them because it is talked about much more throughout the society - many less people are "hung up" on the issue. In the American education arena it is still very controversial about teaching sex education. Every school district makes its own rules. Whereas some are very open others believe parents alone should teach sex ed. Then, of course, we have the politically controversial issues of abortion to add to the topic. Another controversy is the distribution of condoms or other birth control items in schools. My own personal experience: I substituted in three school districts for several years and found that I was called to teach Health education in each one, and the topic was almost always sex ed. Even the teachers were uncomfortable (it is uncomfortable not for me, I approach it without passion or emotion, never using individual or personal experiences of myself or people in the room). I answer every question directly and fully, so kids used to love me as a sub. I thought it was a sad situation that so many educators were also "hung up." So to wrap up: nudity, nakedness, puberty, sex education - should not be a silent subject. Take a deep breath and break the mold - talk to your kids openly and teach them about their own bodies, how they will change over time, to have respect for themselves and others, to know their limits and to be responsible for their own behavior. Good luck all.

#136 of 148 Old 04-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Thanks for posting this,  I have been looking for information of what ages boys go through puberty and a little relieved to see the range is quit a few years.

Unfortunately my sons are all starting puberty at different ages,  my oldest son is now 14 and still shows no signs of puberty has no pubic hair and still looks like a little boy.  My 11 year old boy has had pubic hair since he was 9 and know has a deep voice and armpit hair.  This has caused a lot of embarrassment to my older son who wants so bad to grow up and now to make things worse we find out that my third son who is 9 1/2 years old has some pubic hair.   I spoke with the doctor to find out if my two younger boys were going through puberty to fast or if my oldest son was to slow and he said that all were still within normal range and that I shouldn't worry quit yet and that since my oldest was from my first marriage and they have different fathers that it is normal.  That is a relief physically but emotionally my 14 y.o. is very embarrassed  about his younger brothers maturing faster than him.  When they were younger my oldest son would boss his younger brothers around and sometimes be a little mean to them so now my 11 y.o. son is actually a lot bigger and stronger then him now enjoys teasing his older brother about being bald down there,  he also likes to parade around him showing off his parts and pulling down the pants of his brother to embarrass him in front friends and the family which makes matters worse.  When I step in my son only gets made at me to saying he can take care of himself, but after the altercations sometimes I hear him crying in his room.  Fortunately my 14 y.o is still a little bigger then his 9 y.o. brother and he hasn't started teasing him as far as I know but I am worried that since puberty has started my 9 y.o. will get a growth spurt soon and then he my start in teasing.

Getting pubic hair and going through puberty seems to be more important to boys than it seems to be with girls.  My 14 y.o. seems to feel inferior to others and has stopped participating in activities such as swimming where he has to change in front of others or be more exposed. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Do you know if there is anything I can do to help speed up the puberty process for my son?

I've tried talking to him for the last few years that his time will come but it just upsets him that I even acknowledge the situation.

#137 of 148 Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 AM

What are you doing about the 11yo's bullying of his brother?

Claudia Chapman likes this.
#138 of 148 Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane530 View Post

Do you know if there is anything I can do to help speed up the puberty process for my son?

I've tried talking to him for the last few years that his time will come but it just upsets him that I even acknowledge the situation.

We all want to spare our children this kind of pain. It hurts moms so much, I know.  There isn't anything you can do to speed up puberty.  Nothing beyond drastic measures that no reputable doctor would provide.  Your son is normal, and as you said, his time will come. 

Please respect your son and don't bring it up again. He knows his time will come, but that doesn't really help the disappointment and embarrassment he is feeling now.  He's working it out himself.

Your 11 year old?  You need to take him aside privately and require him to knock it off.  Pulling his brother's pants down, pulling anyone's pants down is completely unacceptable.

Claudia Chapman likes this.

#139 of 148 Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM

For what it's worth, my son is 13 and 3/4 and still doesn't have any obvious outside signs of change -no peach fuzz under the nose, no acne, no under arm hair, no voice change.  I'm guessing that means no pubic hair, as well.  His dad says he developed slowly as well.  And it was embarrassing sometimes, but he made it there in the end. I think he's pretty manly. winky.gif

#140 of 148 Old 08-23-2013, 03:41 PM

My son is 9 almost 10 he is blond with blue eyes and has leg hairs and also has some pubic hairs is that right
#141 of 148 Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 PM

My other son 11 almost 12 has a bush of pubic hairs and has leg hairs to he is also circumcised is your son circumcised
#142 of 148 Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Why are asking about being circumcised I may be able to help ?

#143 of 148 Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore7 View Post

My son just turned 13 and I think now is the best time to get him circumcised! I was originally just going to let him decide when he got older but I think it's best to do it now!

The best time to get him circumcised is never.  The second best time is if he is a legal adult and decides for himself.  But really, the best time is never.  :)

Bring back the old MDC
#144 of 148 Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM

That was my original plan. But the more I thought about it the more I thought I don't want him to be placed in an embarrassing situation one day! (If you know what I mean lol)!
#145 of 148 Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

That was my original plan. But the more I thought about it the more I thought I don't want him to be placed in an embarrassing situation one day! (If you know what I mean lol)!

More embarrassing than having it done at 13?
#146 of 148 Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

What does he think about the procedure?  Have you asked him what he wants?  13 is old enough to have input into cosmetic surgery.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#147 of 148 Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

My son just turned 13 and I think now is the best time to get him circumcised! I was originally just going to let him decide when he got older but I think it's best to do it now!

Umm, why? What is this "embarrassing situation" you are concerned about? That the person he falls in love with will gross out because he's in-tact? In the rare situation where he'd be showering with classmates (and I say rare because many schools don't even offer showers at PE anymore) he'd hardly be the only boy. Gosh, in our area, it's only like 40 percent who get circumcised and that number keeps falling.

I'm not trying to pass a moral judgement on it. I really don't care what another family chooses to do during infancy. I don't see it as mutilation or child-abuse. I do think 13 is too old to make the choice for him and frankly, I don't think at 13 is a good age to put that decision in his lap. You wouldn't let your daughter get a nose job at 13 because she doesn't like how it looks because you know that most likely, as an adult, she'll laugh at her insecurities and see those old pictures and think "gosh, I was cute... I can't believe how insecure I was then!" 

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#148 of 148 Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

I have no idea what you mean. Can you explain?

Bring back the old MDC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page