How old was your son when he started getting pubic hair? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old was your son when he got pubic hair?
7 or younger 2 2.50%
8 4 5.00%
9 7 8.75%
10 8 10.00%
11 12 15.00%
12 10 12.50%
13 4 5.00%
14 3 3.75%
15 2 2.50%
the obligatory other 28 35.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has had pubic hair for around a year. He's 9. He had a few sparce hairs for a while, now, he is getting a full on bush. He is thin, so weight isn't pushing it or anything. Is this normal?

Thanks, Kaara

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#2 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM

I have no idea. My ds is 14, but I haven't seen his body in so long. The last time was most likely when he was 7 or so.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#3 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM

No idea here either! I can't remember the last time my 13 y/o ds1 let me see him naked.

A happy woman
#4 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 01:11 PM

I also would have no idea -- I have never looked at my kids past the age where they might have public hair. :

**If you are concerned, I would ask your doctor.
#5 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 PM

My 9 year old son wears boxers and inadvertantly flashed me the other night doing his squirmy 9 year old boy acrobatics. It was a quick glance because I knew he would be mortified if he knew I saw and I looked away quickly. What I did see still looks pretty bare.

The sea monkey has my money.

#6 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Another 'no clue' here. I do remember ds2 proudly announcing to me once that he was getting pubic hair - I can't remember exactly how old he was now though. I know it was after we moved, and he was 11 when we moved.
#7 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM

I don't have a son, but voted for myself. I was about ten when I started getting pubic hair.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#8 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 PM

OK - I have to admit that this is perplexing to me. Do people look at their kids pubic hair? I understand that kind of involvement with a little kid. Please explain.
#9 of 148 Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 PM

Assuming they get underarm hair around the same time as public hair - 12.

Kathy
JollyGG likes this.
#10 of 148 Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 AM

Here's a link that might be helpful
http://kidshealth.org/kid/grow/boy/boys_puberty.html

Hey, Maybe it would be a little more respectful of privacy if you leave out the personal details and just post in a more general sort of way?
#11 of 148 Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 AM

... am i the only one who won't be looking at their childs body after 7 or 8?? that just irks me.
#12 of 148 Old 09-24-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanElizabeth View Post
OK - I have to admit that this is perplexing to me. Do people look at their kids pubic hair? I understand that kind of involvement with a little kid. Please explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer_lc1 View Post
... am i the only one who won't be looking at their childs body after 7 or 8?? that just irks me.
Yeah. This thread just caught my eye. Weird.

My mom never knew about my nether region as I grew older. I can't imagine inspecting my daughters pube area to see how many hairs she has at age X.

I'm sure if I went on the internet and was talking about her pubic hair and she found out, she would probably never forgive me for embarrassing her and talking about such a private thing.

My mom constantly told our family every little detail about me (when I got my first bra, period, etc)...I hated her for it. If she told everyone on a message board, it's possible I may have resorted to physical violence.
#13 of 148 Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 AM

Not every family has the same boundries with nudity. And I've seem posts by moms about their dd's first menstruations, about needing bras, etc.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#14 of 148 Old 09-24-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Not every family has the same boundries with nudity. And I've seem posts by moms about their dd's first menstruations, about needing bras, etc.
:

We are all different and nothing is wrong with that. I have even seen boys 8 or 9 splashing around naked or sunbathing naked at our towns lake.
#15 of 148 Old 09-24-2008, 03:42 AM

My son is 9 and has no modesty. He is constantly coming downstairs after his shower buck naked. There are many times I will get up in the morning and he will be watching tv naked. I try not to look (and immediately tell him to go put clothes on), but from what I've seen I don't think he has any pubic hair yet. He did tell me a couple months ago that he has a few hairs, though, so we had a short talk about pubic hair. He'll be 10 in January.

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#16 of 148 Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyndmamaof4 View Post
My son has had pubic hair for around a year. He's 9. He had a few sparce hairs for a while, now, he is getting a full on bush. He is thin, so weight isn't pushing it or anything. Is this normal?

Thanks, Kaara
Maybe it's because I grew up with a nurse for a mother who, when were discussing our changing bodies, was a little more "clinical" than other moms, but did you have to use the word "bush"? :

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#17 of 148 Old 09-24-2008, 10:50 PM

No idea and no need to know. We aren't a prudish family and they all see me naked but I don't see my boys naked any more.
#18 of 148 Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have no idea. My boys haven't been naked in front of me since they were around 7 years old. I'm not going to ask them about it. I have talked to them in past years about pubic hair, underarm hair and body hair but not as they've gotten older. They know it's going to happen and I don't feel that I need to know when it does.

We aren't prudes either. We are a very open family and discuss anything and everything, but this is something no one really needs to know about.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#19 of 148 Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogirl View Post
I have even seen boys 8 or 9 splashing around naked or sunbathing naked at our towns lake.

what did you just say?

I bet the pedofiles are happy in your neck of the woods. How scary that no one teaches those children better than that.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#20 of 148 Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
and I plan to talk to my daughter about that kind of thing when it comes time for it. She's a girl and I'm a girl and I would share things like that with my closest girlfriends and have over the years. However, I didn't share the idea of getting pubic hair with my brother when he got it, lol. I don't need to know when my boys get pubic hair. It's not something I want to know nor do I even need to know about it.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#21 of 148 Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post

what did you just say?

I bet the pedofiles are happy in your neck of the woods. How scary that no one teaches those children better than that.
If the boys cover up, the pedophiles will still be there and still watch. Just because you wouldn't do it, doesn't mean that someone should have "taught them better." Clearly someone felt that teaching them to be comfortable with the human form as it was intended was more important.
Cassidy68 likes this.

#22 of 148 Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
If the boys cover up, the pedophiles will still be there and still watch. Just because you wouldn't do it, doesn't mean that someone should have "taught them better." Clearly someone felt that teaching them to be comfortable with the human form as it was intended was more important.
:
#23 of 148 Old 09-27-2008, 03:15 PM

DS likes to share that kind of info with me. he was so excited about it that he came running to tell me he found his first. i didnt look to confirm. he had just turned 13. 3 mo later he was being a goof and flashed me (topic for another thread). apparently it grew by leaps and bounds. i am happy for him. he is so proud to have finally caught up with the other boys in his class (you know they take showers after football practice right). he delights in his growing and changing body. i would like to help him celebrate this change rather than shy away from it. puberty is hard enough as it is.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#24 of 148 Old 09-28-2008, 01:47 AM

I voted 12...that's when DS told me he had had pubic hair "for a little while now". He may have had it sooner, but I didn't ask any further questions for fear of embarrassing the dear thing

Justine, wife to DH :cop:, mom to DS(14) :, DD(13) and DS(8)
#25 of 148 Old 09-28-2008, 05:53 AM

My son will be 11yrs. in Dec. He is around 100lbs. and 5' 2" and has no pubic hair yet (that I know of, haven't really seen, but he has no arm pit hair for sure and they go hand in hand I would think-plus he kind of tells me everything and asks lots of questions about puberty so i assume he'd mention it). Last night though I did notice the hair on his legs is getting pretty thick and course- his dad is a ape when it comes to body hair, and I assume it runs in the family, so maybe it'll happen soon.
#26 of 148 Old 09-28-2008, 11:20 AM

my DS doesnt have any armpit hair yet just the other.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#27 of 148 Old 09-28-2008, 11:31 AM

My ds is 10 and has no body hair under his arms yet. I'm not understanding why a mom should not know when this happens. My ds tells me more than I want to know and I am fairly sure when this milestone happens he will tell me.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#28 of 148 Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb View Post
My ds is 10 and has no body hair under his arms yet. I'm not understanding why a mom should not know when this happens. My ds tells me more than I want to know and I am fairly sure when this milestone happens he will tell me.
I think some things are private, especially when it's between a parent and child of opposite sexes. I accept the fact that there are differences in the way people are raised, and individual families acceptance of nudity.

If one of the fathers on this site posted a thread about his daughter and her pubic hair, would people think this was equally appropriate? If the dad said in his post that his 9-year old daughter had a "full on bush" and other dads then weighed in would people think it was OK? Or is this different?
Amy Lachney likes this.
#29 of 148 Old 09-28-2008, 03:39 PM

gosh i have no idea. he's just turning 12 so i guess it's possible. i don't really see it as my business, it's his body so unless there are any health issues i will probably never know

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#30 of 148 Old 09-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb View Post
My ds is 10 and has no body hair under his arms yet. I'm not understanding why a mom should not know when this happens.
unless there are health issues,then i think it's just a difference of perspective. i really don't think it's any of my business unless he feels like sharing that with me.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page