Is there ANY decent music out there for preteens? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carp! (I meant to spell it like that too ) I was introduced to a group a while back but I can't remember who they are. I'll get back to you when I talk to the person who told me about them.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 71 Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Would she be open to writing her own music?
#63 of 71 Old 10-06-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
That can backfire. Just ask my dad, he let me write my own music.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#64 of 71 Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
The only interest in learning about music is she wants to play guitar. But not enough that she's willing to take lessons, practice, etc. She just wants instant gratification by picking up the guitar and playing.

I wish she'd be more interested. But she just isn't.
#65 of 71 Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM

BTDT, we got dsd a dvd that was geared to kids, had instructions step by step showing how to tune the guitar, and teaching them to play.

It got walked on and scratched up and now the guitar has broken strings and she still can't play.

Are you sure our dds weren't separated at birth?

for intuitive readings click here :
#66 of 71 Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
That can backfire. Just ask my dad, he let me write my own music.
DH is a composer! I know where it leads.

A friend of mine has a son who sounds a lot like your DD, and she also is concerned about influences on him; they play Guitar Hero a lot and that seems to satisfy him. I've never played it myself but she said it's brought them closer together because they play it together. Obviously, don't buy it before paying for counseling.
#67 of 71 Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had to read you thread because I am actively thumpin' Helz yeah.

My point, I'm pretty young, so it wasn't long ago that I was listening to music just because my mom hated it , altho I "liked" slipknot and ICP. PS not music that I would ever let her listen to. They both have very low opinions of women. Holy crap, the babybean ate my brain, back to my point

She is listening to what she is because it's what her friends listen to. Sounds to me like she is in the whiney emo phase like everyone else I

I am LOUD and here's whats on my playlist.

Jamie T <- britt rap (amazing!) did I say amazing?
MC Chris <- nerd rap
Cake <- ?? no genre for these cats, Kinda jazz.
Sci-fi wasabi <-can't remember the band name, they are a Japanese duo totally amazing.
Tool <- musical Orgy
Perfect Circle <-musical orgy
System of a Down <-political loudness!
Presidents of the United states <-silly and loud!
Dead Kennedy's <-again, silly and loud!

You need to get that girl out of the silly 12 yo friend rut that she is in. I would have to say that I would put my foot down on this one. I wouldn't spend family money on songs like that. :

and of course the classics. Grateful dead, Doors, you get it.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#68 of 71 Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
That's pretty much what I've done. All those songs on the computers have been removed, none of it on her MP3 player, etc. I just wish she would understand. But she doesn't. And I do believe a lot of this is from her friends saying it's not a big deal. That's one reason why I want to give her better songs to listen to. Start leading her away from stuff like that. Until she's better prepared to know what is and isn't a "big deal".
on removing the songs.

All my kids love Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and those games have introduced them to fabulous older rock music. :

Here's some of what my 14-year-old daughter has on her iPod--lots of Chris Brown, Rihanna, Pussycat Dolls, All-American Rejects, Sara Bareilles, lots of Rush.

My 14-year-old son has Blue Oyster Cult, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Santana, Weezer, Scorpions, Green Day, Kansas, Police, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Duncan Sheik, Jim Boggia, Nik Kershaw, etc.

I allow my teens to have explicit lyrics as long as (1) they don't permit their 10-year-old sister to hear any of them, (2) they don't repeat any of the language in the house, and (3) there is no sexually violent imagery or lyrics glorifying death ("Don't Fear the Reaper" is acceptable, however ).

My 10-year-old daughter loves Eva Cassidy, Supertramp, Sting, John Mayer, Beatles, the Fray, ELO, Styx, Genesis, Queen, Journey.

My 22-year-old daughter can listen to whatever she likes.
#69 of 71 Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 PM

nm
#70 of 71 Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Hmmm Green Day! Totally brought back memories. I was like 7 or 8 and I sooooo wanted a Green Day CD (yeah I'm a youngster) so my dad bought me one and read over the lyrics and said to me "Ok, you can listen to the CD, but not these two songs here because of the language." I though my dad was the coolest person in the world because he let me listen to Green Day even if he didn't let me listen to two of the songs!

#71 of 71 Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 PM

I dont control to what kind of music my daughter(14) listens too, i dont want to be like own mother, but here are some sugesstions, which by the way my daughter is really into, and you cant blame the music becuase of the way she's acting either.

Try:
Poets of the Fall and MGMT, they're nice..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page