broken arm/growth plate - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-06-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, it's been a good long stretch, nearly 16 years,3 kids and no broken bones. Until Saturday. Dd broke her arm where it connects to the wrist and depending who you ask, the radiologist or the orthopaedic, it's right on or right above the growth plate.

We have to go back in a week for a check with xrays. If it's drifted she may need surgery (according to the orthopaedic) The Radiologist said it would definately need reduction (surgical) when we were leaving the ER and so I'm so confused. Pleasantly surpised because the othopaedic said there was a chance she wouldn't. I wish now I had asked him to put odds on that.

The orthopaedic cast it today. And another thing that doesn't make sense, health insurance doesn't cover waterproofing the cast. Leading to the question what is health insurance good for anyhow?

And since I'm just a mom, I'm hoping that no surgery will be needed and that I listened to the right guy. My boss broke her wrist and didn't get surgery and it's still messed up.

I said I was gonna stop worrying when we saw the orthopaedic. LOL
#2 of 6 Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

IMO the orthopedic would know more than the radiologist.

I don't know how old this dd is, but years ago they didn't have waterproof casts. Just don't get it wet. She can bath with you helping her so she doesn't get it wet.
#3 of 6 Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 AM

my oldest broke her ankle 1.5 yrs ago when she was 10.5 - the break was right at the growth plate. my biggest mistake was not taking her to the children's hospital ER from the beginning. we took her to the local hospital where they temporarily set it and referred her to the children's hospital who said on the phone that we should come in 1 week to see how it was healing. when we came in 1 week the ortho that saw her said she definitely needed surgery and that it may be more complicated because it was an "old" break and we should have come to them immediately. they admitted her right away and all worked out - they were able to do a "closed" reduction with 2 screws. she still has regular follow up for 2 years to check on growth of the ankle because of the growth plate issue - so far so good.

my advice - keep on top of the doctors and ask questions until you're satisfied whenever there are differing opinions. for example the follow up ortho (we moved since the surgery) wanted to remove the "permanent" screws so I had to get in touch with dd's ped surgeon to find out why he doesn't recommend removal. now I know so I can make an informed decision.
#4 of 6 Old 10-07-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
IMO the orthopedic would know more than the radiologist.

I don't know how old this dd is, but years ago they didn't have waterproof casts. Just don't get it wet. She can bath with you helping her so she doesn't get it wet.
Um, yeah one shower and she got the temporary one wet. She would not let me help her. Made a horrible fuss over it at our gym. (I wanted her to bathe in her swimsuit and help in the handcap access shower.) Um no. She did it herself and messed up the splint. She's 15. She oughtta be able to do it, but having had a leg cast myself I know it's very difficult to bathe and keep a cast dry. It's worth it. just can't believe ins. doesn't cover it.

Smallisbeautiful, that is exactly what I am worried about. That is what my boss described happening to her wrist.

I've been thru all that with the pins. Decided to leave mine in too.
#5 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Its been a few years since my daughter broke a bone. She's broken one wrist at the growth plate twice and the same ankle twice as well. I didnt know there was a water-proof cast!LOL
so far she's healed well without surgery. Her last break was the worst with them re setting it without putting her out or giving pain meds!! That will NEVER happen again while on MY watch! They said they couldn't do that asleep or with pain relief and I stupidly believed them. I found out after they did it that they could have done something to help so she wasn't "tortured" like that. To this day I feel horrible for letting that happen.
Sorry for going off on my own like that. I hope your daughter won't need surgery, just wanted to let you know that my girl went through some similar breaks and healed well . Sorry for any misspellings too, I'm typing from my iPhone.
#6 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear it healed well.

She's not being good about slinging it and is doing a lot of stuff with her hand.

She broke her glasses last night and can't put her contacts in one-handed. :

This girl is a mess.

I can't see my dd being a very good patient for a drug-free reduction.

The school nurse doesn't want her to have the Lor-tab before coming to school but needs a doctor's note to give her ibuprofen so she went without pain meds today.

She did ask for help in making her plate for dinner. She's a very stubbon little thing (Don't know where she gets that)

Apparently waterproof casts are new in the last 4 years of my orthopedic cheated me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page