Book Recommendations for a 13 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a book for my cousin's 13 year old daughter. I have the feeling that she is sexually active (don't know for sure), even though she denies it. She has a very bad reputation around town. Regardless, she needs some information because she thought that 7-up kills sperm

Is there a good book for teens that tells the truth about the basics, but also the emotional aspect of having sex? I know we can't stop her but I want her to realize that it's not just a physical fun romp and then it's all over. One of her friends who is 15 is already pregnant. Most importantly, if she is having sex, she needs to be safe.

Any book recommendations would be great!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our Bodies, Ourselves is an excellent book full of open-minded facts and no-nonsense information:
http://product.half.ebay.com/Our-Bod...oQQprZ43546274

In fiction, I recommend the entire Earth's Children series, beginning with Clan of the Cave Bear.
http://www.amazon.com/Clan-Cave-Bear...3845628&sr=8-2

This is realistic fiction rather than a book of facts (though it is filled with those too due to extensive research) but I recommend it because Jean Auel has a way of empowering women to believe in themselves and stand strong despite being in a society that often leads girls/women into sexual victimization. It is very mature reading, with a lot of sexual content, but if she is already having sex then perhaps this might lead her in the right direction with a more empowered frame of mind...

User Tag List