Why would this settle my stomach?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the process of looking in the basement for more PB this morning, I found a bag of chips from christmas. And I ripped into them so fast!!
And right away my stomach settled.
I remember with my first pregnancy, there were days when the ONLY thing that seemed appetising was chips.

So I had a few, then had my regular breakfast of WW toast, PB, hemp seeds and banana sandwich.
But now I know they're down there...calling my name... Saaaaaandyyyyyy!!
But boy do I feel guilty for eating crapola!
Last night I ate Bretton crackers and antipasta for dinner. Again, it was the only thing I could find that didn't make me want to retch.
Grrrrr!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom says when she was a kid her mom used to give her plain, salted chips to settle her stomach, and it worked! I don't know why, though.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 PM

i think it has to do with the oil they are cooked in. ???? just a theory LOL
Old 02-06-2007, 04:01 PM

If a few yummy chips settle your tummy and then you can eat something nutritious go for it!

I would start to worry if all I was eating were chips (or going through several bags a week ).

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Chips have always been the tummy-settler for me during my pregnancies. I think becase they are salty yet bland, easy to chew and swallow, don't smell too strongly.
I don't know. I try to buy only organic chips, and really I don't eat them that often.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 PM

Plain chips always worked to settle my tummy when I was pg with dd.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 PM

I grabbed some plain baked Lays this afternoon and they helped. But just about anything does, briefly, then I feel sucky again.

BTW, by pb, did you mean peanut butter? You should avoid peanuts and peanut products during pg. It can encourage the peanut allergy in the baby.

I know of two mamas who had pb sandwiches nearly every day when pg, and their babies have the allergies.

There has been at least one study done in England about this.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:18 PM

My theory is the fat. Fat rocks right now.

But dude, today I settled my stomach with COFFEE. If that isn't crazy, I don't know what is.

I've heard about the peanut thing but I find this a burden to worry about. Am I _really_ going to avoid all peanuts during pregnancy, when peanut butter is like the one thing I can eat sometimes (all that fat...)? Do the rest of you guys worry about the peanut thing? Should I worry more about it?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 PM

ME TOO with the chips! I haven't bought chips in the longest time - and now it is one of the few things that sounds good. So weird. Glad I am not the only one!

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:11 AM

I'm one of those weirdos that don't like potatos so for me it's even MORE strange to feel like eating chips! Okay nowadays, chips are everything but potato but still I never eat them.... then pregnancy and m/s hit... and I have to say for some reason, maybe the salt, they do seem to calm the morning sickness monster!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post
I've heard about the peanut thing but I find this a burden to worry about. Am I _really_ going to avoid all peanuts during pregnancy, when peanut butter is like the one thing I can eat sometimes (all that fat...)? Do the rest of you guys worry about the peanut thing? Should I worry more about it?
As far as i know its only really a worry if you have a history of allergies, exmtha (sp) or asmha (sp) in your familly that you should avoid peanuts cos in these circumstances from what i've read anyway it can make you lo more likely to have any of the both and/or peanut allergies, although if there in the family anyway i would have thought whether you eat peanuts or not lo is probebly likely to get them iykwim

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Mama View Post
In the process of looking in the basement for more PB this morning, I found a bag of chips from christmas. And I ripped into them so fast!!
And right away my stomach settled.
I remember with my first pregnancy, there were days when the ONLY thing that seemed appetising was chips.

So I had a few, then had my regular breakfast of WW toast, PB, hemp seeds and banana sandwich.
But now I know they're down there...calling my name... Saaaaaandyyyyyy!!
But boy do I feel guilty for eating crapola!
Last night I ate Bretton crackers and antipasta for dinner. Again, it was the only thing I could find that didn't make me want to retch.
Grrrrr!
If its the only thing that will settle your stomach then i dout the odd few will do any harm, its not like your scoffing down a huge bag in one sitting
like i did : got craveing for thai lemon grass and chilli sensations with my ds and on more than one occasion ate a huge packet to myself :

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 AM

i couldn't survive without peanut butter. I ate it throughout my other 3 pregnancies without problems. I have been eating a lot this pregnancy. I hope it won't cause problems, but we don't have a family history of allergies, eczema etc.

User Tag List