Birth Bead Swap - now that we're all out of the 1st tri!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2007, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemama View Post
I saw the mail-in date was May 1st, I won't be able to send mine until the 9th! Both of the bead shops in the area have closed down so I was going to get mine when I go back home for my birthday next month. Is there any way we could push the date back just a little?
Sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Hello I am very excited about the bead swap!! I will also need a mm size too. I have to buy my beads online since there is not a bead store in sight.

Thank you so very much!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

Old 04-04-2007, 11:05 AM

pushing back the date a tad works for me too. not much, just a tad...

i also need mm size to buy...there are different diameter of tiger tail..

i'm gonna go post in the crafts section and see what someone there has to say...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
i'm gonna go post in the crafts section and see what someone there has to say...
Beat ya!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemama View Post
I saw the mail-in date was May 1st, I won't be able to send mine until the 9th! Both of the bead shops in the area have closed down so I was going to get mine when I go back home for my birthday next month. Is there any way we could push the date back just a little?
Quote:
pushing back the date a tad works for me too. not much, just a tad...

Will May 11 work for you?
If not just throw out a date - I think we'll be fine. That still leaves plenty of time to get them to everyone. I plan on my turnaround being quick!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Do we have a final count yet so that we know how many beads to get?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:51 PM

Right now it's 32.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 PM

ahhh can't remember if I already signed up and way to lazy to look up my history so add me in as well ( if not already done so)
Old 04-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Ok..

I called artbeads.com and spoke with a customer service rep who went and grabbed a bunch of the wire they had in stock and had to convert it to mm size since Tiger Tail is the only brand not listed as such...She spent almsot 10 minutes chatting with me.....LOL

I am going to sting mine on an elastic threading so it's stretchy....

...she recommended the .12'' wire bc it was the smallest they carry....and that the mm for beads meant the diameter of the bead, not so much the hole.

SO, I don't think it helps much but at least we know what kind of wire if you choose to use wire. I think everyones beads will fit on the elastic I am using...

Maybe contact someone who was in a prior bead swap and ask what they used or suggested?????
Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyg View Post
Will May 11 work for you?
If not just throw out a date - I think we'll be fine. That still leaves plenty of time to get them to everyone. I plan on my turnaround being quick!

sounds good to me! Thanks so much for doing this, stacy g!!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annelizabeth View Post
ahhh can't remember if I already signed up and way to lazy to look up my history so add me in as well ( if not already done so)
You need to pm your email, name and address! Thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Ok..

I called artbeads.com and spoke with a customer service rep who went and grabbed a bunch of the wire they had in stock and had to convert it to mm size since Tiger Tail is the only brand not listed as such...She spent almsot 10 minutes chatting with me.....LOL

I am going to sting mine on an elastic threading so it's stretchy....

...she recommended the .12'' wire bc it was the smallest they carry....and that the mm for beads meant the diameter of the bead, not so much the hole.

SO, I don't think it helps much but at least we know what kind of wire if you choose to use wire. I think everyones beads will fit on the elastic I am using...

Maybe contact someone who was in a prior bead swap and ask what they used or suggested?????

Thanks for doing that Sunshine's Mama!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:51 PM

No problem, although I am not too sure how much that helped. I still think asking someone from a prior swap would be the best bed....

Like I said, I plan on using a stretchy elastic and most beads fit on that...fimo, glass, lampwork etc...

This is what I am using..

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=bd0173

but you can also find it at JoAnn's (it's called stretch magic there)....I think both are 7mmish and most beads fit on it (except seed beads..)....then you can finish it with whichever clasp....

or you can just string em up....and see how it stretches..I may end up getting a thicker mm for it once I get all the beads and see them and such....
Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 PM

I have a question for you beading mamas. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm planning to use this for a nursing necklace after the baby comes. I'm hoping to head off toddler twiddling IYKWIM. What/how are must nursing necklaces strung on so that they hold up to the rough treatment? I'm assuming I need a strong thread and good knots or latches where the necklace comes together. I was wndering if perhaps they were knotted in between each bead like a pearl necklace is. Anyone know or have ideas for me? I know nothing about beading, but I am excited!

Moving back the date makes no difference to me.

I'm hoping everyone puts a name or a note with their bead as I am hoping to make a scrapbook page for the baby's album with all the notes and a photo of the finished necklace. Gives me a warm fuzzy!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 04-04-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
I was wndering if perhaps they were knotted in between each bead like a pearl necklace is.

I'm hoping everyone puts a name or a note with their bead as I am hoping to make a scrapbook page for the baby's album with all the notes and a photo of the finished necklace. Gives me a warm fuzzy!
I'm planning on doing this too. I would suggest strong wire/whatever and then knot after each bead.

The scrapbook page is a wonderful idea...I plan on stealing it! This is my first time in a ddc and I'm loving it!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 PM

I found the bead! I am so excited! I am working on the note. I hope this beads fits everyone's wire/string/elastic. I wanted to know what you all thought... I was thinking about getting those really small coin envelopes to send out the bead and note so the tape does not hurt the bead/note or become unattached. Or maybe small clear sandwich size bags, or my sister told me about small clear bead bags that can be bought at craft stores. Any thoughts? All these ideas will only cost a few dollars for 30-50. I do not want to make this any harder, just an idea. Thank you

Love the scrap book idea!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

Old 04-05-2007, 02:41 PM

the tiny bead bags are pretty cheap and wouldn't add much to shipping
Old 04-05-2007, 03:11 PM

:
Old 04-05-2007, 05:44 PM

You are right .... I think the tiny clear bags are the best option too. I just checked some out on ebay for a few bucks.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:46 PM

I got my beads today. I think they are pretty unique, so I hope everyone likes them!

Couldn't find any of those little bead bags, though... I'll have to keep looking.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 PM

Okay it's Friday. I'm counting 32 is that right? Perhaps we should wait until tomorrow to be double sure...

So excited!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 AM

I pm'd info too!

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Actually I added mamas2atti so that makes the total 33.

Everyone has joined the yahoo group too! Except mamas2atti - just sent her invite out. So I guess we'll start posting there if we need too.

Can't wait to go pick out my beads! Hope everyone that wanted to join made the cutoff.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:18 PM

Is it possible for the person that posted the pic of her birth beads to post it again? I'm a complete novice at beading. Today I was looking at beads - first time in my life - and there seems to be such a big selection I just want to get an idea of what I should get. I did see ones already that I'm pretty sure are going to be it but before I buy 33 of them I want to make sure they are suitable - kwim? Oh and I saw these 'beads' shaped as leaves that hang about an inch, I thought those were cool but is that still considered a bead?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:53 PM

I personally got beads that are not "technically" beads, but they are pretty neat. I posted them on another site to get some feedback from other mamas, and they all thought they were great, so hopfully everyone likes them!.

Personally, I'd say get the beads you love! The best part about this is how different all of the beads are!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 AM

:

Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 AM

count me in too.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:31 AM

Gina just wrote "Count me in too." Does this mean we are up to 34 beads?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:59 PM

oh i love this idea...but is it too late? if so thats ok...lmk, thanks!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:09 PM

OK - I don't have a problem with Gina and doulamom7 joining. Anyone?

Could you 2 send me a pm with your name, email and address - I'll send you a yahoo invite to join the group.

**With those 2 joining we have a TOTAL OF 35**

User Tag List