Let's see here....

Where are you from?

What does your username mean?

What kind of a birth are you planning?

Do you have any names picked out?

How many kids do you want?

Do you like where you live?

Do you woh, wah, or sah?

If someone gave you $500 (and you couldn't use it for bills, debts, or savings), what would you do with it?

I think that's enough for now!

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's your favorite children's book?
Who was your hero growing up?
Who is your hero now?
Who is your favorite artist and why?
Is this your first?
What's your favorite guilty pleasure?

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM

Birthday? Birthstone?

Any pets?

Favorite flower?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:52 PM

What is your greatest hope? Your biggest fear?

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 PM

I am so glad I wasn't forgotten! The kiddos are still awake so I will see how much I can get through in one sitting. Once they are in bed I will be back to do more.

Where are you from?
I have moved around quite a bit and do not feel like I am 'from' anywhere. I was born in Peoria, IL but haven't been back in decades. I live in Southern Indiana and moved here from Munich, Germany

What does your username mean?
Momma plus my initials. Not too creative but it gets the job done.

What kind of a birth are you planning?
It will be another hospital birth. I have done hospital birth center, unplanned UC on a street corner, and two other hospital births. After my second baby I have had to really work to trust my body and the birth process. My dh is about one birth behind me on this. The hospital birth is tough on me as I had planned homebirth for baby #3 but my history and access to midwives makes it very difficult.

Do you have any names picked out?
I think we do but that is always subject to change. Not complete names just a couple of first names for each gender that we are not in complete agreement on. I was really searching for names early in the pregnancy but it has taken a back seat for a while.

How many kids do you want?
Well, we first said two, then four, then six, but we will probably stop at five. Either this pregnancy is really wearing me down physically or my children are wearing me down in other ways. :

Do you like where you live?
It has its benefits. How is that for noncommittal? Politically I am extremely misplaced and this often comes up in everyday life. I appreciate many things about being here while missing things from other places I have lived. We never thought we would end up in a small town - big city or big university town would have been our first choice.

Do you woh, wah, or sah?
I stay at home and have been since our oldest was born. In the past dh and I have talked about 'when I go back to work' but with my brood and the fact we have are homeschooling I know my return to the paid workforce is not imminent.

If someone gave you $500 (and you couldn't use it for bills, debts, or savings), what would you do with it?
This is so far from my reality. Probably home improvements, maybe some pampering like regular massages but the time is as hard to come by as the money!

I'll be back for more after bedtime for the littles.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 PM

What's your favorite children's book?
I would have to say the original Winnie the Pooh books but right now but my littlest is infatuated with Big Red Barn Margaret Wise Brown. She loves to make animal noises

Who was your hero growing up?
Dorothy Hamill I even had the haicut until it thankfully grew out.

Who is your hero now?
My husband. As corny as it sounds I really admire the parent he has become. He is so patient and calm. He really takes the long view of things. This can be upsetting when I am all wrapped up in the moment, frustrated with whatever is going on and him for not seeing it my way but later when I have calmed down I usually wish I had handled things more his way.

Who is your favorite artist and why?
I usually like functional art in my life and have very little (okay nothing) on my walls at home. I do however have a soft spot for Joan Miro. I am not sure I always 'like' his work but we lived for a short while in a furnished apartment that was plastered on every wall in every room with work by Miro. It was a great time for my family and whenever we see his work it brings back memories for us.

Is this your first?
5th - ds 10, dd 8, dd 4, dd 1.5

What's your favorite guilty pleasure?
I have a lot of guilt but I guess the pleasure comes from chocolate.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 PM

Birthday? Birthstone?
October, opal but I do not wear any jewelry other than my wedding band. I wonder what I will do with the beads if I participate in the swap?

Any pets?
We have had dogs and goldfish in the past but right now nothing. To be honest I am not gearing up to take any on. Not even a goldfish.

Favorite flower?[/QUOTE]
I love the burst of color from tulips right now.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Any pets?
We have had dogs and goldfish in the past but right now nothing. To be honest I am not gearing up to take any on. Not even a goldfish.
I hear you on this! My parents came to visit and thought it would be a wonderful idea to go buy goldfish for the boys. We go to Petsmart...I'm sure they were thinking we'd buy a bowl and 2 fish...they come out of there having spent $80 on all the stuff. Hopefully they learned their lesson with that one. I didn't really appreciate being the one to have to take care of them either. Lots of work if you ask me. We won't be getting anymore fish for a long time!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 PM

What is your greatest hope?
It has to do with my children's future. I hope they are happy and successful by their own definition, however they choose to measure success. I also hope they are independent and still love me when they are old enough to not take my calls.

Your biggest fear?
This question is a toughie, I worry about so many things but today I will say my biggest fear is something happening to my husband. In addition to being a great father he is my best friend and keeps me operating on an even keel. He says similar things about me so I suppose we are a good match.

These are the short answers.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 PM

Would you mind telling us a little more about the UC on the street corner? If it's not to personal for you.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
Would you mind telling us a little more about the UC on the street corner? If it's not to personal for you.
I really don't mind telling more but I need more sleep. This insomnia is the pits.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Wow, I usually would love to tell this story my way so I am surprised that it isn't just flowing out my fingertips. I allude to it regularly, especially when pregnant but telling the story now is not coming easily to me. I regret calling it a UC because it is not the result of a UP or a planned, healthy UC. I was simply a woman on a street corner all alone having a baby. Except for the speedy part it really is a birth horror story so be assured that she is now a healthy 8 yo (with attitude).

The short version is I was 34 weeks pregnant with my second child when I woke up one morning and was quite sick to my stomach. I started breakfast, toting my almost 2 yo around the apartment then decided to walk to the women's clinic just to be safe and get checked out once again. (The entire pregnancy I felt something was off, I was shushed and told everything was fine, had several ultrasounds, non-stress tests, lots of extra monitoring but nobody could find anything wrong with me or her.) I made it down to the street and felt much worse so I asked for a taxi. Dh ran ahead to the taxi stand but I only made it across one corner before giving birth. I honestly had no idea I was in labor. She was blue, not breathing, immobile, limp and I stood there on the street corner holding her. Eventually the emergency doctor and ambulance arrived. They could not get her to breath and her temp was dropping quickly so we were transported to the clinic. I believe she is here today because the umbilical cord was not cut until after she was on support.

Post birth was such an odd experience and a totally separate story. She weighed 3.12 kg. Her biggest problem was pneumonia. She couldn't maintain her O2 levels if I even opened her bed's port holes so there was no touching her for days. She was off all drugs and support within 2 weeks and home shortly after that.

Even though this was my second child I learned so much about myself and what I need. It was incredibly frightening as it happened yet empowering as I became able look back on it and reflect.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Wow...!

I'm speechless, but I'm happy she's an 8 yo with attitude!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Oh my gosh. What a story. Thank you for sharing it.

As I think we noted in another thread, I grew up in southern IN (Madison) and have only made it as far away as mid-state. What do you do with your kiddies in the area? Any attractions your kids like to visit?

What did you do in Germany? (Weirdly, my family is also from Munich)

What's a precious item that you have? Might be an object, a piece of clothing... just something that has special meaning of some sort for you.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the story--you must have been very scared. I was scared for you just reading it!

How do you plan to diaper?
What is your favorite snack right now?
Any cravings?
Do you have names picked out?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 PM

How do you plan to diaper?
We cloth diaper, prefolds and pul mostly but I do throw in a bit of wool. I may have to get some new diapers - they are getting a bit thread bare after so many times through the laundry!

What is your favorite snack right now?
I want to eat fruit all the time. I just wish it was later in the season so it was a bit tastier. Nothing sounds all that good to me lately so I eat a bit of this and that hoping to be inspired.

Any cravings?
Our whole family is vegetarian but I am craving Paxton's Potatoes from the Village Deli. Basically it is homefries with sausage gravy and other toppings. I don't think my kids would even sit at the table with me if I ordered it but that's okay I don't always enjoy watching them eat either. I do tend to crave food from restaurants we ate at in college. Maybe I am craving those days of freedom?

Do you have names picked out?
I have mine and dh has his.

Minnow, I'll be back to answer your questions but we are going to have to meet up at some point. Did you say your midwife requires LLL meetings? Feel free to pm me.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 PM

I'm sorry I forgot to check back in. Thank you so much for sharing such a personal story. I simply cannot imagine going thru that. I'm so glad everything worked out for you and you have gone one to have other successful labors as well, (and ones that you are more comfortable with )

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 PM

What do you do with your kiddies in the area? Any attractions your kids like to visit?
I'll go with their favorite hiking locale
Clifty Falls State Park
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/clift...iftyvideo.html

What did you do in Germany?
My husband had a post doc for a couple of years. The NEH does not provide the same type of support that the military does! We were really on our own. I had babies and made friends.

(Weirdly, my family is also from Munich)
too many coincidences! When did your family leave Munich? What brought them to Madison - it's such a little town. Now we are playing Spotlight on Minnow.

What's a precious item that you have? Might be an object, a piece of clothing... just something that has special meaning of some sort for you.
I suppose my teeny, tiny wedding band with its little pieces of diamond dust as my dad calls them. (It fits my hand, I am 5'9" but only wear a size 4 ring) I thought I had lost it last summer and I was sure it was gone for good. It is the only piece of jewelry I wear and when I found it I had already decided not to replace it (because it wouldn't be the same).

Old 03-31-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Minnow, I'll be back to answer your questions but we are going to have to meet up at some point. Did you say your midwife requires LLL meetings? Feel free to pm me.
Yeah, we will have to meet! Things are crazy now, but sometime!

Of course, I worked at Clifty Falls. Cutting grass and cleaning toilets.

Mom's family moved from Munich when she was young. They moved out west. Dad's family is from Madison area. He and mom still live there to take care of my grandpa and grandma.

I enjoyed reading your replies.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:49 PM

I would like to thank everyone who played along this week. I am really enjoying getting to know everybody and sharing bits of myself.

User Tag List